Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
I do a podcast: https://www.thiscdnlife.com

I'm looking forward to the summer so I can put more time into it.

reflex fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

krushgroove posted:

reflex - the second show downloaded fine, but the first one didn't at all, tried twice

Hmm, I downloaded it yesterday to check and it worked fine. Must have been a Libsyn problem.

Also, everyone please review and rate my podcast on iTunes if you could be so kind:
http://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/this-canadian-life/id411325529

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

While I'm waiting on music for my next main episode, I made a four-minute short to see what could be done in such a short time.

http://thiscdnlife.blogspot.com/2011/03/shorts-stony-plain.html

Once I get onto a regular schedule for my show, I'll be more than happy to start swapping promos. But because of school and work I release episodes so irregularly right now. I don't want to get my promos heard all the time but only pitch in once a month.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

The Capm posted:

This is really cool, reflex. I like it when people do short podcasts. I like my long talky casts too but I can only listen to a couple a week. This sort of thing adds texture. Though it's obviously influenced by This American Life/Radiolab, I think there is room for amateur podcasts of that sort. Rated/reviewed.
Thanks a bunch! TAL and Radiolab are my two of my favorites. I'm actually gunning for a TAL internship in the next couple months.

I subscribed to your podcast and downloaded a couple of episodes. I'll hopefully have some time to listen to and rate/review them tomorrow. I'll also make some time to download and rate/review the rest of the goon casts when I can.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

The Capm posted:

Thanks. Yeah, I try to roll with mistakes and do something neat with them in editing, if I can. I think it's a pretty different kind of show and I'm not sure it's for everyone, but hopefully I can find an audience.

I listened to episode 12 and 13 and I was really blown away when you transitioned from talking to putting it to a song. I think that concept is really cool and I hope you continue to pursue that. That is single-handedly my favorite part of the podcast.

(I don't know how open you are to constructive criticism, so I'll put it in spoilers)
However, your comedy is very hit and miss. You had me chuckling out loud when you were talking about religious folks wanking it to procreation, but the rest of it kind of fell flat to me. The one thing I'm scared about is that there's no feedback when you're one guy throwing comedy out to the internet. There's no real feedback and I assume your friends are like mine and go "yeah it was great." You should look into going to some comedy open mics. They're not as scary as they seem (I do amateur stand-up) and it really makes it clear how you should be developing jokes and stuff. Plus it helps with annunciation.

Also, one thing I've noticed in my own recording is that going "mhm" during an interview is very distracting. I was really interested in the whole needle-taint story, but I was constantly being thrown out of it with the "mhm mhm"s and the interjections. Just let the dude tell his story. Trust that it's a good story. If you need to add interjections for explanations, edit them in.

You're on a good path Capm. Keep going and improving and I think you can produce a really unique and entertaining podcast. I will also review/rate on iTunes.

reflex fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 10, 2011

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Would anyone be interested in forming a podcast workshop group?

Like every week, everyone in the group downloads the latest podcast of someone in the group and then we all listen and write out what we liked, what we didn't, and potential ways to improve.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

So far for a podcast workshop group we have

reflex
krushgroove
The Capm

I think I'll just start a new thread or something in a week or so after more people sign up. Or we can just start with the three of us. What do you guys think?

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

For anyone interested in This American Life-esque storytelling, there is a live streaming long-form storytelling panel with Ira Glass and Remnick:

http://www.propublica.org/article/long-form-storytelling-in-a-short-attention-span-world-live

I will also get my crap together for that workshopping group for this weekend. I think going week by week starting on Sundays should be good? I'll also write out some rules of workshop.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

So the podcast workshopping group as I have it now

reflex
krushgroove
The Capm
FunkyVajjina
Matt Cruea
ReverendHammer
Song For The Deaf
Fake Green Dress

I'll post a new thread sometime tomorrow or Sunday so we don't muck up general podcasting talk with super-episode-specific points. I'll also write out some "rules of workshop" stuff so the thread doesn't turn into bitter tears. We'll also probably just go in the order we signed up in because I'm too lazy to do any kind of random generator stuff. So long as that's cool with everyone.

EDIT: Here's a draft of the workshop rules. Please give me feedback.

Rule 1 — Critique the work, not the podcaster. It’s not personal.

There’s a difference between “I don’t like how you did this part. Why not try this next time?” and “Why the gently caress would you do that? Are you stupid?” Get it?

Rule 2 — Be honest

If you don’t like how someone did something, don’t tell them you did. It doesn’t matter if everyone else loves it, you don’t. Be honest. Sugar coating pacifies us, but does not allow us to improve. If you've listened to and considered the episode at hand, your opinion cannot be wrong.

Rule 3 — Try the workshop sandwich

A very cool tip I learned in school is the workshop sandwich: compliment-criticism-compliment. It makes everything less scary and hurtful while still getting the criticism out there.

eg. “The way you transitioned to this point was awesome. I might try it in my next episode. But, once you got to the interview, I noticed your questions were all yes/no questions. I find that almost forces the interviewee to just answer in one word. Consider more open-ended questions next time. And a lot of your cuts were awkward. Try looking at this youtube tutorial. But overall, you’ve improved since the last time we looked at your work. No way around it. Good job dude.”

reflex fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 19, 2011

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Hey I posted the workshop thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3398438

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Does anyone know much about SEO? Typing in "This Canadian Life" or "this cdn life" only bring up the iTunes link on the first Google page. My homepage doesn't come up at all and I have no idea why. Does anyone know what I can do to boost up my homepage?

EDIT:

Also, I'm looking at two mixers.

Alesis Multimix 8 USB FX

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=MULTIMIX8USBFX

and a Yamaha one

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=MG82CX-CA

I'm really leaning towards the Yamaha because it inputs with cable as opposed to USB 1.0. Is that even a valid argument to have or is it a negligible difference?

reflex fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 25, 2011

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I finally found some time to edit the interview I was sitting on! Geez, it took me most of the day.The main topic is explored is "How do I find a job I will love?"

http://thiscdnlife.blogspot.com/2011/04/002take-this-job-but-only-if-youll-love.html

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'll chip in for a banner ad. Have to make an account on the website first though!

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Yep, we'll start pimping gooncasts.com with our next recorded episode, out next week probably.

So far I've got ca$h from King Lou, Matt Cruea and Capm - thanks guys! With what I'm putting in we could have almost 2 months of banner ads, so with a few more folks we can have 3 or 4 months easily. I think we can change the art whenever we like, too, so maybe we can take it a month with that, what do you guys think?

Just sent you $10 USD via Paypal

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'm also about to drop some bucks into a podcast rig if anyone knows anything about these items: BEHRINGER XENYX-1002B (earlier recommended in this thread) and Audio Technica AT2020s. I've priced out the set of two mics, pop screens, mixer, and more cables than I really need at $420+shipping.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

The AT2020 comes highly recommended by some friends of mine. It was also featured prominently as an entry level condenser on Dan Benjamin's podcasting gear guide at Hivelogic a few years back. (Link to the past).

The only reason I went with the 990 is because it's comparable in price and quality, and comes with a shock mount... Which is important to me, because I'm careless and also very sensitive to low frequency rumbles caused by my jittery-rear end legs.

If you're rolling with AT2020s, it might be worth it to check out this bundle (http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=AT2020-M20PKG) because it nets you a pretty-much-free set of decent headphones.

Those are the ones in my cart. The only thing I'm worried about is having to sit forward into a mic instead of having a headset or something I can handle. I don't know how hard it will be to quickly brief podcast guests on mic technique.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Thanks for dealing with the ad stuff krushgroove

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Is anyone familiar with hooking up audio via the line-in on macs?

I have two AT2020s hooked up into my mixer, but when I go into garage band I can only select the line-in as one input (which it calls a built in input). It makes no distinction between the two mics and just treats it as one.

Ideally, I want to have it rigged so I can record each mic on the mixer as its own separate track. I've tried the multitrack option in garageband but since it treats the mixer as just one input, I've gotten nowhere. All the tutorials I've found online refer to USB mics.

For clarification:

Two mics, connected via XLR to a mixer. Mixer is connected to a MacBook Pro's line-in. Macbook Pro treats it all as if it were one mic. How can I get it to make a distinction?

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I just recorded my first two-mic podcast using XLR mics and a mixer. But I'm loud to the point of clipping and my co-host is pretty quiet, yet on the headphones while recording we sounded about even. Is there some kind of test that you guys use to set up multiple mics? My only idea is recording a bit to watch the levels and adjust accordingly.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I just realized my mixer is having no effect on the garageband recording. I can twiddle every knob, turn the gain all the way down, all the way up, and it has no effect on sound quality. I can hear the difference on my headphones, which are plugged into the mixer, but garageband records everything the same. The only problem I can think of is I'm connecting the mixer to my macbook pro from the 2-track output, which is the cable I have. Any ideas?

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

WedgeRadio posted:

I suggest buying a Compressor/Limiter ONLY for the power of limiting. I recently bought one and boy does it make a HUGE difference. Being able to be excited and loud without worrying is mighty awesome!

This is my new studio! 3 mics, 1 mixer, 2 computers, 1 MIDI controller, 1 compresser/limiter and 3 tables (for stability). The new place I moved to has an extra soundproof room for my dedicated studio! It's amazing. I just need to work on the echo problem I'm having.

Once again, as I whore myself, here is my website :-) http://www.wedgeradio.net/

Oh! I am thinking of making a streaming site for podcasts that is on a regular schedule, so if anybody knows a good way to stream for free, I'm thinking of Winamp, I'd much appreciate it. Also, is anybody interested in joining in on this podcast adventure? I hope to start with a few different shows a night and my show will fill in the void. The only thing is that the show should be at least end on the hour or thirty minute mark. Email me if anyone is interested. Wedge(at)WedgeRadio(dot)net

Have you ever come across Mac drivers for the 1002b? I figure that would be the problem but the only drivers on Behringer's website is for Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Justing plugging my latest podcast episode. It's largely about Canadian politics, but I this is the best one we've done so far (aka entertaining).

Check it out!

http://howcanadaworks.blogspot.ca/2012/04/canada-weekly-4062012.html