Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So I've been kicking around the idea of a podcast for a while and I finally bit the bullet and got an H4n recorder to put some skin in the game. I work as a photographer and photo assistant, so my idea is to do a quick 30-45 minute interview with either a model I shoot, photographer I assist, art directors, something like that. I think there's a market for it since most of the photo industry podcasts I've found are basically 45 minute infomercials for photoshop actions and DVDs.

Anyway, is there a post in the thread about how to get started on the cheap, or does anyone recommend a best-practices guide to set myself up for success?

VV Thanks, I have a website on squarespace, might as well put that to use since I think I have unlimited bandwidth there. As you can tell, I'm a pro-tier internet user.

Second question: is the onboard H4n mic enough to record a conversation between two people? I don't want to make a production out of recording, more like an informal chat with the subject in a quiet room. Would I be able to just turn the H4n on, check levels and go? trying to keep it small in my camera bag and as unobtrusive as possible.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I'm about to start recording my first episode today :woop: This is probably unfeasible, but would it work to record from the H4n's onboard mic while hiking? Or at least outdoors in general? My house is kind of echoey, but there's lots of quiet hiking spots not far from here.

E: What are your settings for recording? According to google results I should be at 48k/16bit, but then there's arguments for and against using lo-cut and comp settings.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 17, 2015

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I finally did it you guys. Episode the first:

https://soundcloud.com/witnesstofitness/witness-to-fitness-e01-liz-montalbano

Zoom h4n, 2 lovely rear end stagg mic's, audacity for post. Not super hot with editing in post yet, and while it sounds decent on my headphones people have already complained that it's super loud with quiet audio. Also I should probably do an outro but :effort:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I feel like this is a stupid question but if my podcast is just one on one interviews, is it better to record and mix it live into a ready-to-go file, or record the inputs as separate tracks and mix it later?

So I'm using a zoom H5, and my current system is to record the two XLR mic inputs as separate mono tracks, then mix them in Audacity, and I have to do a bunch of fuckery with duplicating the mono tracks so that it's a balanced stereo mix.

I'm curious about mono mix mode on the H5, where you can record the two mono XLR mic inputs as stereo files and mix the inputs 'live' during recording. All I would have to do is export the wav file as an mp3 and upload it to Soundcloud. So less room for error, but much easier in terms of time spent and storage space on my computer. I could also record directly to an mp3, but I feel like that's just asking for trouble.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

CaptainViolence posted:

leads me to believe that the trouble you're having is with your workflow. It's been a while since I used Audacity, but something weird is going on if you have to do this. You should just be able to have two mono tracks with pan controls on the left-hand track header. I have no idea what fuckery you're having to do to balance things out, but I'm like 90% sure that there is a much, much simpler way to do whatever it is you're doing.

I haven't done it for a while, but it's like i have to take each mono track and convert them to stereo tracks, then merge those stereo tracks together to make a normal L-R balanced track. Otherwise i get one mic on the left channel and the other mic on the right channel. There probably is an easier way though, yes. I guess I should pan the left mono track to the right, and the right mono track to the left, so they're in the middle?