Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

My friends and I host a tabletop gaming podcast. I just posted episode one hundred. UnderDiscussion: The Undergopher Podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Ulta posted:

How do you guys organize your show prep? We have a stable of 7 people, of which usually 3 to 5 can show on a given week. During the week, we have a "secret" Facebook group that people post interesting things in. Day of record, I usually gather those links, plus anything else I want to bring up and compose a blogger post, then send out the link to everyone. Is there a better way?

That's just about how I organize my podcast. we have a google calendar that we have topics scheduled out for about a month and a drive where we have a list of what what we want to talk about and where we can store links. The day before the show I send out a Facebook message asking who can make it this week. We usually do some last minute prep while I'm getting the equipment set up.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Has anyone else found the oversaturation of the podcasting market discouraging?

I'm a new media undergrad student who has lots of different interests, and I'd like to start podcasting. I'm not looking for internet fame or an NPR show, but I want to experiment with audio production, storytelling, etc. I've found myself crossing every show idea off my list because fourteen other people have done it already, and it's preventing me from starting at all.

Did you all just say "screw it" and not worry about being overly original? What were the barriers that were preventing you from turning on the mic for the first time?

I've been podcasting for over 3 years and more than a hundred episodes. I'm never going to be famous or nerd famous for it, but I have a few fans and my friends and I have a lot of fun doing it.

I'd recommend choosing a topic that you enjoy and feel passionate about and run with it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Hey, guys. I'm looking to start podcasting, since I loved doing radio stuff in high school, and thanks to college I have time to do it. What's a good mic to start out with? Or should I go with headsets?

Edit: I should probably say that I'm broke right now. So the best cheapest you got.

My friends and I started with the Zoom handy h2* and a copy of Audacity. We just sit it in the middle of the table most of the time and it was great for on the road type stuff. I would say that it's not the greatest setup if you have a lot of ambient noise in your recording area or you're wanting to skype in someone.

*Link goes to the newer version.

8one6
May 20, 2012

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

My friend and I do a podcast about comic book reviews called Giant-Sized Comics Podcast. We are working on a full-blown website but for now we just post links to our podcast host.

I am pretty lazy and originally thought "who would care about another comic book podcast? Every basement dweller with a headset mic makes a comic book podcast!" but we decided to just do it to do SOMETHING instead of sitting around and thinking up fun things to do and never pulling the trigger. It has been a lot of fun so far, even if barely anyone listens.

That being said, where do you go to put the word out about your podcast? I hate the idea of spamming internet message boards, it seems petty, but we also want to get more listeners.

Edit: Grammar...

Get your podcast on iTunes as soon as possible. I'd also recommend getting the feed on every other podcast directory you can find. Just spamming forums isn't going to work (and if it's your only post it very well might be deleted.) I'd recommend contacting some of the other comic podcasts you listen to to see if they'll give you a listen. I've found that most of the podcasts in my niche (table top boardgames) are happy to help you out with a shout out if you have a few episodes under your belt.

I'm also going to recommend everyone getting a twitter, I've found it the best way to communicate with my audience.

In short, itunes, shout-outs, twitter, and So You Want To Start A Podcast?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Edit: ignore me. The beginning of this was really rough.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 20, 2013

8one6
May 20, 2012

This week UnderDiscussion is podcasting every day from The Best Four Days in Gaming! We kicked off everything Monday with our Tips and Advice for the con.

Today we posted the annual GenCon Car-Cast. Fan favorite, fan demanded, always fun. This year we embark extra early on the magical quest to the Best Four Days of Gaming. This year the Car-cast includes an interview with Dave Hornak about Scotty’s Brewhouse and the special prep that goes into planning for an event like GenCon! We talk about his history of gaming, the special menus that Scotty’s always prepares for GenCon, and the new Dogslicer ale!

This episode is a little noisy and a really clippy, but in our defense we did record it in a moving car with equipment we haven’t used in eight months. The rest of the will sound a lot better than this, and our regular episodes blow these away in terms of audio quality.

8one6
May 20, 2012

In the next few days I'm going to submit an episode of UnderDiscussion for the 2014 Ennies and I'm trying to decide which episode to send in. I wanted to get everybody's opinions on the possible choices.

IP and D&D
Where Kevin and I talk about what we'd do if we were in charge of the D&D brand.
This is one of our most popular episodes this year but it's more about marketing D&D than it is about playing the game.

Gen Con: Hans Cummings Interview & Day 1 or Gen Con: Interview with Jason Hardy and Tracy Barnett
Gen Con episodes for Thursday and Friday
I think we did a great job with our Gen Con episodes this year but we're using the mobile equipment so frankly the audio sucks compared to a regular episode.

Adding Horror to the Game
We talk about adding horror to your game.
I think it's a great discussion, it's really RPG centric, and it's not that long, but I'm not sure it's as good as one of the others.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I've mentioned the podcast I host a couple of times. Every year at GenCon we host a seminar on starting your own podcast, and every year I look for ways to improve the advice we're giving. Would any of you be willing to check out our working outline and critique/comment on it? Things I missed, things I'm being stupid about, advice you'd add, etc.

8one6
May 20, 2012

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I have a question about podcast hosting. I've started a podcast called 'David Reads It!' to read the original 1883 text of Pinocchio just for fun, and I chose podomatic as my host because it seemed to offer the best free package. But after uploading episode 1, I've used a tenth of my storage space. Pinocchio alone might go beyond 10 episodes, never mind if I decide to do Sleeping Beauty afterwards. Is there a better free host for me to use? Or, if I have to pay to be doing this, where is the best deal?

http://davidreadsit.podomatic.com/

Thanks!

I host mine on Soundcloud, though I think their podcasting service is still in beta so you have to apply for it. It's $15/month for their unlimited hosting. Before that I was paying $20/month for Yahoo to host it using Y! Small business until their servers started corrupting the episode downloads. Decent hosting is going to run you $10-20/month if you have any listeners at all.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I want to start podcasting, but I was told that a blue snowball picks up tons of ambient noise. Would it be worth it to make a sound dampening box?

It is always worth it to improve sound quality, and the sound dampening boxes I've seen put together can usually be done pretty cheap.

8one6
May 20, 2012

UnderDiscussion is now officially five years old!
If for some reason you want to listen to us tell gamer stories you can do so here.

8one6
May 20, 2012

boytree posted:

For anyone who wants more iTunes reviews, I have created an iTunes review exchange in Google Docs. I've already found a couple of great shows on SA, and I'm looking forward to finding more. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

SA iTunes Reviews Exchange

I've started downloading episodes of the shows on the list. I'll have reviews up sometime later this week.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The audio quality on the most recent episode of underdiscussion sucks because we were recording in my car using the hand held equipment. Go back an episode or two to hear our usual sound quality.

8one6
May 20, 2012

We started out with a Zoom H2 that we used for the first three years of the podcast. At the end of 2012 I had enough cash to upgrade everything so I switched to a tascam us-1800 interface so I could split everyone out on their own mic (we use SM58s I believe) and track. We have an 8 channel headphone amp so the 3-8 of us (depending on the episode) can all monitor ourselves (can't remember the model. I want to say Behringer something-something).

At the same time I upgraded the editing software from Audacity to Studio One and I am never going back to Audacity! Seriously, it is a major improvement. With S1 and everyone being on their own track it's made editing the podcast a breeze and now we don't sound like we're recording from a coffee can in someone's bathroom.

Compare this recorded with the H2 to this with the new setup.
Same environment, same people. (mostly, A lot of the old equipment episodes aren't online anymore and I couldn't find a good 1 to 1 comparison)

8one6
May 20, 2012

thehustler posted:

Goddamn this is like night and day. Sounds brilliant. Do you do any post-processing/compression on the vocals?

A little. Every voice track gets hit with 5:1 or 4:1 (depending on the person) and then I use a 0db limiter on the main. I have a friend who got a degree in audio engineering back in 2012 and has been helping me learn a lot more about the audio editing craft.

8one6
May 20, 2012

red19fire posted:

So I've been kicking around the idea of a podcast for a while and I finally bit the bullet and got an H4n recorder to put some skin in the game. I work as a photographer and photo assistant, so my idea is to do a quick 30-45 minute interview with either a model I shoot, photographer I assist, art directors, something like that. I think there's a market for it since most of the photo industry podcasts I've found are basically 45 minute infomercials for photoshop actions and DVDs.

Anyway, is there a post in the thread about how to get started on the cheap, or does anyone recommend a best-practices guide to set myself up for success?

VV Thanks, I have a website on squarespace, might as well put that to use since I think I have unlimited bandwidth there. As you can tell, I'm a pro-tier internet user.

Second question: is the onboard H4n mic enough to record a conversation between two people? I don't want to make a production out of recording, more like an informal chat with the subject in a quiet room. Would I be able to just turn the H4n on, check levels and go? trying to keep it small in my camera bag and as unobtrusive as possible.

The H4n should be fine for face to face recording. Give the manual a quick read through to make sure it's set up correctly (I only had to make that mistake once. )

I run a beginning podcasting seminar at Gen Con, if you would like I could link our outline/notes here in the thread.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I just released the 200th episode of my Tabletop gaming podcast!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Halbey posted:

Do you have any tips for longevity?

Podcast about something you'd talk about all day even if you weren't recording yourself.

Engage with your listeners. Nothing is more satisfying as fan mail.

Those two are the biggest reasons I'm not planing on quitting UnderDiscussion any time soon.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Alfalfa posted:

A friend/coworker of mine and I plan on starting a podcast together.

We will be doing it in the same room, so I'm wondering what is the best way (cheap is always good) to get started where we can both talk and record at the same time?

We started with the Zoom H2 in the middle of the table between all the hosts and edited in Audacity. It's an easy solution but it will pick up room noise.

8one6
May 20, 2012

codyclarke posted:

Today my podcast hit 50 episodes! Woo! It's incredible to think i've done that many. For some reason, in my head it still feels like there's only been 20 or so. I can't even imagine what it'll feel like when I've done 100.

Here's the episode, if any of y'all want to check it out. It's about all sorts of horror movies: http://smugfilm.com/ep50/

Congrats!

8one6
May 20, 2012

TG-Chrono posted:

Hey casting goons, I was looking at starting up a casual podcast centred on Australian Football, where we'd catch up at the pub during the week, a pubcast of sorts.

Is there any scope of recording on the phone and upload/editing at home. Is this viable at all?

It's not the worst equipment/environment setup I can imagine. I'd say record a test episode to see if it's acceptable to you. I'd personally shy away from trying to record in even a moderately crowded environment like a pub, if for no other reason than the background noise will be distracting as hell.

8one6
May 20, 2012

UnderDiscussion gets about 120 unique downloads per episode, but we're an unfocused niche podcast that regularly goes off topic.
Our sister show Preferred Enemies gets something like 3000 unique downloads an episode but they've proven that their listeners really don't like them going off topic (40k discussion) because when they do those episodes drop about a third.
At this point I've accepted that UnderDiscussion will never have a large audience, but the fans we do have are dedicated. Last GenCon I met a couple who drove about 12 hours to get to the con and they said they listed to episodes the entire way.

8one6
May 20, 2012

What are you wanting to spend?

8one6
May 20, 2012

thehustler posted:

Anybody here know of any film commentary podcasts? We're thinking of doing a skeptical film podcast (since we're the Edinburgh Skeptics) where we watch a film and just talk over it about the science and tech and whether it's plausible or not.

Wondering how to go about it, do I want the audio of the film very low in the BG, or is that going to be a copyright issue? Like, I'm sure it will get picked up incidentally in the background anyway while we're recording, but I use SM58s so the sound won't get picked up very much.

My friends and I do something like that. We have the film audio fed into the interface so we can hear it on our headsets but we don't add it as a channel to the recording so it doesn't show up on the commentary. We tried just keeping the sound low on the first couple of episodes and after light compression you can make out the film. If it was a movie anyone gave a gently caress about we could be in trouble.

If you want it to be a track people listen to while watching the film you just need an obvious sync point. We usually have the listener pause the commentary and hit play once the production company logos fade completely to black.

Here's an example of what we do.

8one6
May 20, 2012

thehustler posted:

This is excellent, thanks a lot and I'll go and listen to your work :)
Keep in mind the forced filmography episodes are as low effort as possible, at least one of us is drinking during a recording, and I don't include them in the podcasts rss feed because they are some of the most self indulgent poo poo we do.

8one6
May 20, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

What is everyone using to record skype calls? It seems to be getting worse and worse lately. I have Pamela call recorder and Mp3 skype recorder but neither seems to work well.

We do it the hard way. I have a separate laptop just for skype that we connect into our soundboard/interface (it's an old hand me down with a half broken screen) and all of that gets piped into Studio One.

If you have everyone on separate channels it might be worth it to try to pick up an old $100 laptop so you're not having to fight with different recording software.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The easiest way to fix the uneven volume is what my friends and I refer to as the ABCs of podcasting: Always Be Compressin!

Human speech doesn't need a lot of dynamic range so some light compression (I use a 4:1 ratio on my podcasts speech tracks) will work magic on this.

8one6
May 20, 2012

thehustler posted:

If anyone here wants to record live events with an audience, I had the opportunity to ask an ex-BBC Radio 4 comedy producer about how he does it. He produces the excellent comedy podcast Do The Right Thing. Which I absolutely guarantee will be the funniest thing you've ever heard.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/dotherightthing/

It's all in multiple Twitter threads so I can assemble it here if anyone is interested?

PS, will check your podcast out tomorrow! ^^^^

I would be interested in reading that.

8one6
May 20, 2012

thehustler posted:

Still wishing I could make a breakthrough though. Our podcast is pretty niche I guess.

Yeah. Our numbers on UnderDiscussion are holding steady at 150-200 per episode. We're not niche enough to get the dedicated game system listeners and we're not famous so we can't really bump it up by being just a geek culture podcast either.

Not that I'm complaining. I love the listeners we do have and they apparently love us. All of the ones I've talked to have mentioned how they love our rambly, conversational style.

Over Memorial Day weekend we're actually putting on a gaming convention with our sister podcast Preferred Enemies here in KC. UnderCon. We've been running the gaming at a local sci-fi con for a few years now, but breaking the gaming off into its own convention will give us a lot more flexibility in promoting the gaming (and let us give out free badges to the game masters like every other gaming con under the sun.)

8one6
May 20, 2012

thehustler posted:

That sounds cool do let us know how it goes.

I'm working on something really cool. I'm doing a Radio 4-style comedy panel show all about skepticism and science etc. Like a low-rent QI for the radio. We'll have comedians on and famous skeptic and science types which will hopefully draw in the crowns and I think I have the tech all sorted out:

1 mixer sending to my zoom H5 in mono
5x sm58 mics for the talent
A shotgun mic plugged directly plugged into the H5 so it doesn't come out of the PA.
Multitrack record so I can adjust both later.

I'm hoping to shoot for the moon with the gusts and maybe make the podcast as good as Do The Right Thing. We'll see. I got inspired after talking to that Radio 4 engineer :)

Nice!

8one6
May 20, 2012

SwitchbladeKult posted:

What is the best way to do this? I'm considering starting up podcasting again and would love to attract more than a handful of listeners.

Just record an episode or two and then just ask other podcasters to give it a listen. Most of the podcasting community is really friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

King Lou posted:

Use Audacity instead of Garage Band.

Seconding this. It's free and there are tons of good tutorials on youtube.

Don't get discouraged if your first few episodes sound like crap.

Editing takes time. With practice that time will get shorter.