Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Holy poo poo trying to write bios for other members AND add links for 24 separate eps sure does take a while, but I finally got the Gooncast page put together for Spankwagon. Right now the video links for eps eight and earlier are broken, but I'm going to work with our web admin to get those fixed.

BTW, we did one more test run before the site relaunches on the 22nd. Our current plan is to post some new prerecorded material and then have a live show on March 4th. But I'd like it if people would have a look at the test runs and some of the previous eps to let us know what they think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Well, after a relaunch that contained more than I originally expected, we finally have a new episode up. Have a watch and let me know what you think.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I still need to make a couple of updates to our Gooncast page, but I wanted to make sure to link our newest ep here. In the short history of the Spankwagon Austin Bureau, I think it's one of the best eps we've ever done.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Hey folks just wanted to let you guys know we're doing a live show tonight starting at 9M CT (music should start around 8:45). It's different than the prerecorded stuff we normally do, but hopefully you'll find it entertaining! Look for the Spankwagon Live link on the front page!

EDIT: Twas a good show, even with the technical difficulties that decided to show up tonight that hadn't in our practice runs.

ReverendHammer fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 5, 2011

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Finally made some updates to our Gooncast page, though I'm not putting up episode specific links for the new live show until we get our site page together for it.

I was wondering if anyone could watch our shows and give us some feedback. I know there's ways we can improve, but right now I only have some ideas in my head about what we could do better (especially for the not live stuff). So any commentary would be appreciated.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

The Capm posted:

EDIT: ReverendHammer, for some reason, I can't get your videos to play. I'm not sure if it's my flash blocker or browser or what, but I just get a still image and pressing play does nothing.

What browser are you using? A friend of mine was having some strange player issues with Safari on his Mac.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

krushgroove posted:

I watched the first half or so of the first video (I think there were two?) from the convention you guys went to in Austin. I'll watch the rest of that episode (unless that was a one-off type of show) and PM you tomorrow with some feedback that was rattling around in my head as I watched it.

Yeah... Vimeo had a 1GB file size limit at the time, so we had to split it into two parts. They've now removed that limit so we can upload a full 90 minute if we want.

Which does bring up a good question as far as video podcasts go: for something that's over an hour long is it better to keep it all together or is it better to split it up into 30-45 minute chunks?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I'm cool with doing some shop workin'. Since we're doing both edited and live stuff, I'm sure there's ways we can improve in both.

Speaking of Spankwagon... we have a new episode! It has partying, art, people playing with fire, music, kittens, video games, and females with awesome skills: http://spankwagon.net/2011/03/swa-artsy-fartsy-party/

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I like those ideas... sounds like it is geared more towards constructive criticism.

BTW, we have another live show tonight at 9PM CT. You can get to it from the Spankwagon Live link on the front page.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I finally had some time to put some promos together (uploading a 3 GB file to Vimeo takes a while). A couple of them are slight updates to teasers used while waiting for the site to relaunch, while the other two use newer material. Let me know what you think.

More of what you love

Little Known Facts

Mike Tyson

Prime Time

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

The Capm posted:

If you're down for a promo exchange, I'll run one in my episode this sunday and record a customized one for your show this weekend as well. What say you?

I dig it.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

The Capm posted:

I didn't check the links before offering to run one of these and for some reason, thought they were audio. I was thinking of just running the audio of the drink testing one, which was my favorite, but it's too long. If you ever come up with an audio promo, I'd be up for throwing it into the mix.

I did put together another promo which might be short enough to use for audio purposes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_o29Pn4cI

That was one thing I had wondered about with this thread: is most of the focus of this thread towards audio-only recordings, or are there others who might focus more on video?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

krushgroove posted:

I think you're the only one ITT that does a video show, have you tried looking for another thread on SA about video podcasts?

I did some looking around and the only thread that had anything to do with goon created podcasts was this one. Maybe it's time to start a video podcast thread and see if it picks up any interest?

Speaking of video podcasts, we have a new episode up: http://spankwagon.net/2011/03/swa-south-by-spankwagon-part-1/

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

krushgroove posted:

How about some talk about Google rankings and getting new listeners (apart from coercing friends and neighbors)? What podcasting directory sites have you guys signed up for? I've signed up for a few but apart from getting the Google results page full of 'Digital Porridge' results on a search I don't think they've gotten us any listeners.

This something I'd like to look into since so far word of mouth isn't working for us at the moment. We're looking at doing things like giving out stickers all the way up to sponsoring a fighting game tournament, but that doesn't really help with the online piece. I haven't really looked into iTunes (mostly because I don't use it), but does it work well for promoting video podcasts? If it does that might be a good start for us.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BTW peeps... if you're not spending your Friday night listening to podcasts, we're doing another live show tonight at 9PM CT. It's our gently caress April Fools day episode!

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

drat... not only did we get a new ep posted, but we have a poo poo ton of extra material to go with it! One hour ep... five and a half hours of extra material so far!

South by Spankwagon Part 2

Descendants of Erdrick

Datapop 5.0

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

We have another live show on tonight. Trying something new, along with some announcements so if peeps could check it out and give us feedback I'd appreciate it.

http://bambuser.com/channel/Spankwagon

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Christ, I swear our broadcast computer is trying to make me drink myself to an early grave.

So we picked up a Roxio GameCap box so we could start doing game reviews when the mood strikes us. So our first show using it to review Yar's Revenge (http://bambuser.com/channel/Spankwagon/broadcast/1581926) went fine. No probs there.

So with the new Mortal Kombat coming out the week after, we decided to do an off schedule episode to review the game. So we asked a local band that does video game music called Descendants of Erdrick to come in for an interview and help us review the game.

The night before I check the system to make sure everything (three cams and the GameCap) was going to work. Testing went fine... just a couple of adjustments and everything was running smooth.

Thankfully I had the foresight to check everything out again a couple of hours before the show, as for some reason the signal coming out of the GameCap was garbled as gently caress. So i spend thirty minutes trying to straighten that poo poo back out. Finally get it going again before our guests arrive.

So around 20-30 minutes into the ep one of the cameras just decides it's going to take a nap. No reason... just goes offline. Good thing we had three cameras going. But the ep turned out awesome (http://bambuser.com/channel/Spankwagon/broadcast/1599574... you might want to let it buffer since I did quite a bit of pre-show music) and everyone had a good time.

But this loving system... ugh. It's going to be the death of me, I swear.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Dammit, if it wasn't for Sony and their dumbfuckery with PSN I would have sent money by now. Unfortunately it will have to wait until I get a new card from the bank.

In any case, we're doing another live show tonight at 9PM CT. Come check it out: http://bambuser.com/channel/Spankwagon

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Just approved ya, sorry for the delay.

I'm waiting for my 'casting partner to get back from his holiday, but it looks like there's a good number of folks here doing video stuff as well as audio-only, which is the direction we're going to go, but more into sketch-style comedy rather than freeform podcasting or vidcasting. Does anyone have any site links or whatever they can PM my way (don't want to derail the podcasting talk).

Ideally we'll still do a podcast, but on a much less frequent basis once we start putting out videos.

Might this me a good time to start up a vidcasting thread? Aside from our group in Vegas, that's pretty much all we do with both recorded and live shows.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Sounds good to me! although it'll be a few weeks before we've got something on our YouTube channel. Also, I'm not sure where to start, but the thread doesn't have to have a long or massively informed OP to get people posting in it. There must be other goons doing something along these lines.

I can start writing sections about some of the technical and operational aspects of vidcasting, especially when it comes to doing live stuff. Though hopefully someone else can join in when it comes to getting that sort of thing on iTunes and whatnot.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Just start it up with a couple of *reserved* posts to make room for later additions, and save it all in a Google Docs file for easier editing. I can't remember exactly what it was like getting the podcast on iTunes but I imagine it must be the same as for a video show? We're going to concentrate on YouTube first and worry about iTunes later, but it's super easy uploading to YouTube. What I don't understand at the moment is setting up linked video playback but my 'production partner' (oooh sounds Hollywood!) knows all about that so I'm not worried about it.

Yeah, we currently put everything on Vimeo save for our promos. Though I wouldn't mind making it available on iTunes just to make it easier for people with iWhatevers to watch.

As for the thread I need to write up a good introduction post. I'll make sure to get that put together first before going any further with the other sections (I started on the live casting piece last night).

Speaking of vidcasting, we have a new episode up with both the Vegas AND Austin groups in the same room! And I don't mean Skype! http://spankwagon.net/2011/08/spankwagon-66-67/

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

You can find the vidcasting thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430719

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

WedgeRadio posted:

I was hanging with Doug from the morning show this morning at X103.9 FM and he told me the same thing. His words, "Don't give a gently caress, worse thing you'll get is a cease and desist."

I use music during our live shows, but I'll edit them out when I post the recorded versions. For our record shows I tend to use really obscure stuff, mostly music from games not too many people have heard of. I need to make a point to use music from local bands we like. So far they've been pretty cool about letting us do that.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Man, it's been a while since I've posted anything in this thread. There's been quite a few reasons behind that though.

First off, the Austin group has completely taken over Spankwagon. Back in December I was contacted by the main guy in Vegas who had ran the entire thing for the past 11 years. He wanted to give the entire thing to me. The domain, the Twitter accounts, the Vimeo accounts, everything. After 11 years he wanted to do something different. I am glad that he thought we could do a good job keeping up the spirit of the Wagon.

Too bad he didn't tell the Seattle group about it before we announced it on the air. I wasn't too thrilled with that. Thankfully they knew I wasn't behind that, though I'm not surprised that it might have been the reason why they split off onto their own thing. The funny part was were we considering splitting off before the initial discussion happened. Thankfully that was a talk I didn't have to have.

But now that the Vegas group is out of the picture, it seemed like a good chunk of the people who did pay attention just... well, stopped. Not sure how to take that, but I also look at it as a clean slate. Which I see as a positive thing. Gives us a chance to explore some new ideas.

First off, we're looking at doing a mix of longer form episodes and shorter "YouTuber" style videos. I think that way we'll be able to get those viewers who may have short attention spans, but yet also get those who are more willing to watch longer eps. That's the hope anyway.

While the viewership has taken a dive, something really positive has come out of all this. Due to some of the work we've done on the Wagon, we've been getting more and more requests to do video stuff outside of the podcast. Some of it paid, and some of it we did for free but for a good cause. That was something I certainly din't expect over a year and a half ago when we first started contributing video! We're getting more requests for paid gigs, so I'm seriously considering putting together a production company because of it.

In spite of all of that, I know I really have to change some things about the Wagon. The main concern is how we market the 'cast, but I also know the website is going to have to change. So once I have our current video backlog cleared out, I think we're going to go on hiatus for a couple of months so we have time to ponder and rebuild. So I'm really curious if anyone here might have any ideas about what might help us draw more viewers. Especially considering we're using YouTube as our video delivery vehicle.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Looks good, not too cluttered, color choices seem fine. Most important to me is being able to find the RSS links and an in-browser player.

I'm wondering if I could get some feedback of my own: the podcast I was doing hasn't been updated in ages, I want to continue but there's various things going on with my 'casting partner. So I've thought of doing my own. I know Riff Trax is pretty popular, but has anyone heard of a single-person podcast where someone talks over movies, with some personal stories, funny info about the movie and just generally being goofy? I'm thinking of doing this on my own, while hopefully keeping it interesting for an entire movie. The idea would be that actually watching the movie as you listen wouldn't be required (which is how you're meant to listen to RiffTrax). I love movies, have lots of DVDs and a Snowball mic, and think it might be fun/interesting to do a couple of episodes a month, maybe with a friend or two every now and then.

I was wondering what was up with DP lately. Hopefully it can get back up and running.

As for your idea... it's interesting, but I'm not sure I could listen to the same voice for 70+ minutes. Though having random people join in every ep might work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Man, been a while since I've posted in here.

So I wrote our "we're ending the podcast" post today, though it won't be published until next week. Thankfully it wasn't as hard to write as I thought it might be, though this was something we knew was coming for a while. It sucks ending 12 years of history.

The good parts are A) it gives us more time to work on more professional projects (music videos, corporate events, etc.), and B) we do have another outlet for things that may not fit into the professional category, like our beer reviews and such.

Never thought a podcast about nerdy poo poo and drinking would get me paid gigs, but ah well. We must have been doing something right on Spankwagon to get to this point.