Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
I'm a co-host for the Bloody Good Horror Podcast. We record weekly and specialize on new theatrical releases (in the horror genre, of course). We've been going strong for 3 years and just finished recording our 149th episode!

We've actually been able to turn a profit on the show after three years, done some convention appearances and all sorts of fun stuff. It's been a blast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

The Capm posted:

So far I've listened to Lou Reads the Internet For You and Bloody Good Horror, both of which are great. I'm a more casual fan of horror movies but I still think BGH was really well done. Lou Reads the Internet was basically an audio Weekend Web, which is a great idea.

Well done, sirs.

Glad you liked BGH!

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

The Capm posted:

It's good stuff. Have you guys ever done Phantasm? That movie features quite the sphere.

Actually, I think we did about two years back! As a matter of fact, thanks to the podcast I got to meet Reggie Bannister! (the mulleted ice cream truck driver from Phantasm)

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Nice, added all our info!

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Hey gang, I haven't posted in here since the first page, but I've been following along quietly in the wings!

I'm still co-hosting the Bloody Good Horror Podcast. Up to Episode 186, still going strong!

In the meantime though, I've started 2 new podcast's that I think are off to a good start and thought I'd share.

The first one is the Dad and his Weird Friends Podcast which is dedicated to genre books. There's two eps out now, The Name of the Wind and Ready Player One.

The second is 1951 Down Place which is dedicated to Hammer movies! (The old British horror movie studio from the 50's)

I've found a lot of great new podcasts that've made my regular download list from this thread! Good job Goons

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
We're not with Mevio, but I've a number of friends in the same boat as you. Sucks for sure, even worse that it sounds like they aren't bothering answering anybody as to why they were suspended.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Podomatic has been decent to us. We're in the paid tiers but we've never had problems with bandwidth. We run one show with weekly 1500+ downloads, one biweekly show with 1000or so downloads per episode and another show that's less regular with around 1000 downloads all off the same account. Not sure how that would match up to your traffic though. Archive.org has.been good for another monthly podcast I have, but its much more limited.

A hosting question of my own; we've been using podomatics premium hosting to charge $.99 for old episodes. Its worked great for us, but they say they're phasing it out. Anybody know of a hosting service that would handle transactions and let us manage cost per episode settings?

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Darth_BobCat posted:

We host it via Blip, though I have considered getting a podomatic account so people could have it to download. Any suggestions on that?

Podomatic's quick and easy and their free accounts are good to start with. They'll handle your feeds and port you into iTunes automatically (most hosts will do this) so it helps spread the word easier. Definitely worth checking out.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Try searching 'Podsafe' music too. The name's douchey, but it comes up with less scam alerting sites. Aniero's right too; a simple email is sometimes all it takes. A lot of bands are looking exposure just as much as you are!

While I'm here, I gotta toot my own horn! Two of my podcasts, the Bloody Good Horror Podcast and the 1951 Down Place Podcast, were nominated for 'Best Horror Multimedia (Audio or Podcast)' in this years Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards! http://rondoaward.com/rondo/rondos.html Not much in the grand scheme of things, still pretty sweet to be recognized as horror podcasts though!

I know one of the nominated blogs, Cinema Suicide is goon run too!

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Does your sound card have a line in? The easiest/most basic way is a cheap y cable running from your mixer to the line in jack on your pc. Should only run you around $5 at Radioshack.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

JerkyBunion posted:

Not entirely sure this is the best place to ask but I'm doing a podcast with a friend and we'll occasionally be having a guest. Right now we're just recording via the onboard mic but I'd really like to get a nicer setup. Can anyone point me to a sub-$200 setup that will run on a regular macbook (2 USB ports) or a PC laptop?

I've been recording using Audacity but I'm basically in the dark as to where to go next in terms of gear/audio quality.

I'd recommend the Blue Yeti. I got one a few months back and it's pretty fantastic. It's USB and has four different recording modes for if you're by yourself, with a guest, etc.

http://www.bluemic.com/yeti/

Best Buy carries them for $150, but they show up on Amazon for $100 a lot. Best Buy will price match Amazon too, so there's a lot of options out there.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Salty Whiskey posted:

Not putting down your post, just a genuine question. I generally never advise people to get a Blue Yeti for the simple reason that I was under the impression that, although the microphone itself is decent value for money, the peripherals aren't. Which wouldn't be much of a big deal if there was a shock mount available that fit the microphone other than the ones that Blue themselves make.. which as I understand it are a bit extortionate.

Or am I talking crap? Never owned a Blue Yeti so I'm no expert.

To be honest, I've barely even looked at the peripherals. The way it comes out of the box has worked pretty well for me aside from a mishap with the included USB cable. (That was my fault.)

I've looked at things like the shock mount, but it was too expensive for what I'm doing. Other than that, I've not really payed attention to the peripherals.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
So, has anybody had any luck on monetizing their podcasts? Anything out side of the standard Audible/Adam and Eve/Go to Meeting affiliate sales at the like? We've had good luck selling old episodes for $.99 a pop over the years, but we're getting to the point where bandwidth costs for both our website and our podcast hosting is getting pretty costly. It would be nice to have a good way to offset those costs, and I know they're out there, just not sure where to start looking.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Yah, the numbers are important. We're going to test the waters with putting together a pitch and going to hand picked companies that match up with our listeners and see how that works out. Having never done it before, it's kind of hard to come up with said pitch without sounding like a knob!

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Ulta posted:

How do you guys organize your show prep? We have a stable of 7 people, of which usually 3 to 5 can show on a given week. During the week, we have a "secret" Facebook group that people post interesting things in. Day of record, I usually gather those links, plus anything else I want to bring up and compose a blogger post, then send out the link to everyone. Is there a better way?

Ours is a movie podcast, most of our pre-show work is an on going email discussion where all five of us are hashing out or thoughts on the movie of the week after we all make it to the theater. Seems to help keep us concise and on the mark once we sit down to record since we've already gathered our arguments.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
In the spirit of that, record a bumper for your show (short, fun little ad) and trade bumpers with other podcasts you listen to. Just make sure you offer to play the other show's bumper on your podcast and most folks are more than happy for the cross promotion.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
I completely pimped my podcast in the wrong thread, so I apologize fellow podcasting goons!

In the meantime, anybody have a good software recommendation for recording Skype calls? I tried Power Gramo in the past, which was great, but now I've run into some issues after they've updated while I was away from it. I use windows 7 x64 too for what it's worth.

Poopinstein fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 10, 2013

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

King Lou posted:

I just got this tweet about my podcast.

I appreciate it but... whoa... thats a lot of... awfulness...

Well, your voice IS pretty magical reading awfulness.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Ulta posted:

Besides iTunes (which can be a bitch to get the average listener to go out and do) the best promotion luck I've had was with other podcasts. Not only is making friends with like minded fellows a good way to expand your audience, you also get the enjoyment of friendship.

Promotion's tough but Ulta's right; getting in with other podcasts is a boon. Record a 15-30 second bumper for your show, start reaching out to other shows with similar content and ask them if they'd like to trade bumpers. They throw yours in, you throw there's in, works pretty well. Being active in the 'community' is a big help too. Start calling or emailing into shows, mention where you're from (your show) but provide actual feedback and add to the ongoing conversation. Having guests on from other shows, guesting on other shows helps a lot too.

Having an active twitter can help as well. Find a way tie twitter in to your own show, getting the listeners involved. For Bloody Good Horror, we always encourage users to ask us anything using #askbgh on twitter, then we have a segment on the show where we read & answer those questions. Usually light hearted fun stuff. If you do the Twitter thing, make sure you interact with the listeners when they tweet at you!

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Are you even getting on their little online radio station there at mutinyradio.fm? They don't even have you listed. The other big concern here is you're paying out that much $$ a month and you're not even getting access to any kind of 'market'. If you're not on their 'station' and not on iTunes, how are you getting out to listeners?

You could invest around $200-250 up front on some decent mic's and do all of this from home for at most, $15 a month like King Lou said. If this place isn't airing your show or even helping you mix on equipment you're not familiar with, you're not getting your $105 worth.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Yeah, the biggest thing you'll have to be concerned with is attenuation. You'll pick up a lot of noise from your desktop. Touching it, moving stuff, etc. You can solve this fairly easy by sitting your mic on a towel, folded wash cloth, etc. Even without, it won't be that bad. I'd get in and record a few eps first, get a feel for how it'll work out and if you'll enjoy the podcasting stuff before you spend too much on sound dampening, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

codyclarke posted:

By the way, has anyone here done a Patreon page for their podcast? I just sent one up today, and I'd love to hear what your experiences have been.

We've had raging success with Patreon! https://www.patreon.com/bloodygoodhorror?ty=h We're currently at $1,101 and steamrolled through our first three milestones on the first day. We've been REALLY happy with it!

We spent a lot of time organizing and discussing our milestones, coming up with rewards we could deliver and still pull out ahead on. A lot of milestones included stuff we already had or were planning on. For $1, we took our three spinoff shows and put them behind the paywall. We also started live video streams when we record, putting access to that behind the paywall as well. Then we moved up to stickers and coasters. After that, T Shirts, access to our back catalog (8 years of content we used to charge $.99 an ep for) etc. We even used the $$ to fund the development of our new web app we released yesterday http://www.killer-flix.com/

So the key is, sensible milestones you know you can hit and delivering or them fairly quick and good communication through Patreon. We've started delivering our stickers, shirts etc probably about 3 months after we went live with the campaign. By that point, we *just* started getting a couple emails in asking when stuff would start shipping. We send updates weekly so as to not be too spammy.