Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeiros
Apr 9, 2003

It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.
Oh why not...

My Favorite Stranger

website RSS iTunes Facebook Twitter

Cross-continental self-loathing and self-discovery between a guy (in Holland) and a girl (in LA). They will never meet.

We're not necessarily trying to be 'funny', but rather genuine, human, and honest in exploring outselves and our worlds...

I know this sort of podcast isn't for everybody, but we hit #13 in the iTunes comedy podcast charts a while back, and have been featured all over the front of iTunes multiple times (just in case that sways your decision to give us a listen):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeiros
Apr 9, 2003

King Lou posted:

May I ask you where your audience comes from and discovers your podcast? Do you have any idea how you got to #13? It seems like an odd candidate for top 15. Not dissing you show. I'm actually listening to it now and it seems pleasant enough so far! I'm just always curious about how things take off. I've discovered fans in weird corners, like random corners of reddit and elsewhere but :iiam: how many people have heard of it if they aren't from SA. Also, as has been mentioned, getting people to rate a show is like pulling teeth.

Sure, and no worries about the question, we are an exceptionally odd thing to find in the top of the comedy charts (I'd actually like to recategorize the podcast, because comedy isn't really correct, but no other category fits either, so we're stuck there for now).

The vast majority of our initial listeners came via Twitter, where both of us have a few thousand followers on our 'joke telling' accounts.

The growth thereafter happened in a few big bursts: Two prominent iTunes listings (no idea where these came from, I just guess somebody in the iTunes office heard and liked us), shoutouts from other podcasts (nothing we asked for, just people saying "hey, we heard, and like, this..."), occasional bursts of visitors via StumbleUpon. Outside of the big spurts of growth, our download count is increasing steadily in an organic way as I guess people stumble over the website, or recommend us to friends.

Outside of publicizing the occasional episode on Twitter, and maintaining a Facebook page, this post is the first bit of advertising I've ever done for the podcast, I started out thinking I'd be happy if seven people listened. The actual response was pleasantly surprising.

Zeiros
Apr 9, 2003

King Lou posted:

Wait a second. You each had several thousand followers on "Joke Telling" accounts? What's that all about? I mean starting with a base of 2-3k potential listeners is basically unheard of for most podcasts. How is it that you both have huge followings on twitter? What are these jokes?! Also did you make the art for that rectangular button in the middle of the itunes store?

Our Twitter accounts are @Ahm76 and @cmb, between us that's about 5,000 followers. (ugh, my language was unclear, I meant 'together' we have a few thousand followers, not we 'both' have a few thousand). You can see who we are on there, we both engage with people largely through jokes and observations. We're not famous or notable, we're just two people who share observations on the world.

As for the art on the rectangular button. The logo was created by Ahm (see picture in my first post), but turning it into a shiny button happens on the desk of somebody at iTunes. There is no notification to the podcaster. iTunes updates the frontpage on Tuesdays. First time it happened I was self-hosting the episodes and I nearly got RUINED by bandwidth costs.

Zeiros fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 27, 2011

Zeiros
Apr 9, 2003

King Lou posted:

Yeah, I had an episode get selected by buzzfeed for the front page and the file suddenly stopped being available as 5,000 people tried to download it. Thanks Dreamhost!

I remember you asking about podcast hosting in the comedy podcast thread, I guess this would be a good place to add my answer to the pile.

I signed up for dedicated podcast hosting at blubrry.com (I think libsyn.com is virtually identical). It's about 10 bucks a month, unlimited bandwidth, although you can only upload 100Mb of new material every month on the cheapest account.

They handled our the biggest rushes without a hitch, the podcast website itself is run on one of the goon owned hosts that advertises here.

edit: I'm a big fan of your podcast, Lou, just gettin' that out there

Zeiros fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 27, 2011