Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm blatantly going to just copy and paste my post from Rapidly Going Deaf because I think it explains our show well.

I'm part of the Edinburgh Skeptics Society, dedicated to promoting rationalism, critical thinking, and reason both in Scotland and around the world. To do this more effectively I thought we needed a podcast, so I spent a few hundred pounds on gear and now we're up and running. We have guest speakers every month who do talks on a variety of subjects, and we also do a short interview strand where we ask our guest speakers some hopefully insightful questions about their work and their lives. Unfortunately they are on the same podcast feed and not separate shows for monetary/Libsyn setup reasons.

We've had some big names in the world of science talk for us in the past (if you're into skeptics at all you'll know a lot of the names, the usual crowd) and during the Edinburgh Fringe Festival we put on 20odd different talks, one per day, throughout the month of August which is a huge event for us and this year we're planning to hopefully podcast every single one of them.

We may also do a skeptical news round-up kinda show but it's early days yet so for now it's the talks + interviews. Hopefully you guys will find them interesting.

Our website is here: https://www.edinburghskeptics.co.uk - Manual podcast feed is here: http://edskeptics.libsyn.com/rss - iTunes link is https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/edinburgh-skeptics-presents.../id988018626

Hope you guys enjoy it, and I'll be downloading some podcasts from this thread because you guys do so much stuff that sounds really interesting. So many good ideas!

thehustler fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Is that... ok to do? Seems a little dodgy. I mean, I'll definitely take part because I have no reviews or ratings yet but... yeah.

Plus it will give me new shows by awesome goons to listen to.

Edit: I suppose it's fine if you're actively listening and not just lying about it ("Awesome show, 5 stars!")

thehustler fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 4, 2015

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Aye, that sounds fair enough.

I'll give everyone's podcast a listen over the next few days, thanks for the review already received (I assume it was you, boytree!).

Beginning to wish I hadn't put out a podcast with appalling audio quality as the first one, but we're rerecording that talk in a few weeks time with better gear and Libsyn lets you replace episodes so that's cool, I had no idea you could do that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Since you mention quality, can we talk about gear here? I'm using a Zoom H5 and a couple of SM58s for handheld interview work (I have some table stands too) and a Samson tie clip wireless for recording our talks. We had a bit of money spare :)

All into Audition with the broadcast compressor preset on the vocal tracks. Sounds meaty and radio show-like. My goal is to aim for something that sounds like a show from BBC Radio 4 or NPR, and I honestly believe that even though content is king there's only so much hiss and echoey audio a listener will put up with.

Edit: I nicked the SM58s from work though. So that was 200 pounds saved...

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Awesome kit list. I'm very jealous. That Behringer compressor in particular is droolworthy, but to be honest the Audition software compressor does me absolutely fine. I love that punch it gives to your vocals.

Also, no line in on the H4N? Seriously?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

8one6 posted:

Compare this recorded with the H2 to this with the new setup.
Same environment, same people. (mostly, A lot of the old equipment episodes aren't online anymore and I couldn't find a good 1 to 1 comparison)

Goddamn this is like night and day. Sounds brilliant. Do you do any post-processing/compression on the vocals?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

codyclarke posted:

Thanks! I use the Audition compressor too, mostly I use the MDX-4600 to get rid of background noise, mouth sounds, typing sounds, etc. I like that all I'm recording is voices, nothing else. And it cleans up Skype a lot.

And yeah, don't get me started on the h4n. I love the thing, it's a great piece of equipment for most things you'd wanna do with it, but the fact that they didn't include line-in on it is like such a dick move.

I love love love the H5 I have. £219.00 is a steal for what it can do.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Just did a new episode of our Edinburgh Skeptics podcast and I'm really proud of how it's all been edited together, so I wanted to pimp it out to you guys and try and get a few more reviews.

Great interviews on a variety of scientific topics.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Bear in mind if you're going to plug a mic into the XLR ports on the H4n, there's a bit of a hiss problem. As noted, some plugins can reduce that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

You could get yourself, for the future, a wired tie-clip mic and put a fluffy on it, and stick it the recorder in your pocket.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I've had a totally pie-in-the-sky idea for something I'd like to do with the Edinburgh Skeptics podcast and I want to know if anybody else has considered it, or if you know of anybody doing it.

Basically, BBC/NPR style radio documentaries, but for podcast download. I know you can download radio shows from the aforementioned broadcasters as podcasts, but is anybody doing that strictly for podcast distribution?

I think I just have ideas above my station and I want to tell stories or whatever.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Well yeah, Serial is exactly that though isn't it? Multiple parts. I guess I mean a This American Life kind of thing but without the big-budget. Although I specifically want to do this relating to the topic of our podcast as it is at the moment, namely science, reason, and critical thinking.

So, investigations about certain topics, maybe? With lots of on-location field recording and background music and sound effects. I'll have to bash heads with my recording partner and see if we can think of something. But statistics-based investigations where we interview people and go out into the real world and look at how things are affected and oh god I dunno I'm just thinking out loud.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Had a listen to Canadaland and it's more long-form interviews than a documentary.

The Lapse, however, is definitely more in the direction I want to go. I'm also thinking of something similar to Freakanomics in the style and stories that I want to do.

Anyway, hello new podcast to listen to, so thanks for the tips :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

That Google Play link doesn't work? I just get a coming soon page (based in the UK)

Edit: yeah coming soon

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I have just discovered how fantastic an iPhone voice memo recording can sound after you bung it in Audition, stick a multiband broadcast preset compressor on it, and EQ some bass into it.
Edit: put some top end on too

I mean, if you listen carefully it's not like it's comparable to my SM58s or anything, but I'm stunned at what I was able to figure out. Sometimes I don't have my podcast gear as one of my co-hosts is off doing an interview somewhere, so this way I can actually record a voiceover or a link with just what I have in the house. Don't get too close to the mic (6-12 inches is good), but don't stay far back from it either or it'll sound echoey. Don't talk too loud, fix that in post, the mic is pretty sensitive to pops.

So yeah, don't rule out equipment like that if it's all you have to hand.

Also, are we allowed to repost our podcast information, if it's been a while since we posted it? Want to give my show a listener bump and some potential new subscribers, but don't want to spam it.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 14, 2016

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

There are lots of podcasts that accept submissions. The Pod Delusion for one, I think. Big market there for anyone who wants to start that. It'd be like Storyville on BBC tv

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I have a vague recollection of filling in some form or other to get on that but it was ages ago.

What's the story? Can we just submit like with iTunes and it'll go through a submission process?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

psychopomp posted:

Yeah, there's a site you can use to submit your podcasts. https://play.google.com/music/podcasts/publish

Not in the UK, there isn't :(

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Anybody here know of any film commentary podcasts? We're thinking of doing a skeptical film podcast (since we're the Edinburgh Skeptics) where we watch a film and just talk over it about the science and tech and whether it's plausible or not.

Wondering how to go about it, do I want the audio of the film very low in the BG, or is that going to be a copyright issue? Like, I'm sure it will get picked up incidentally in the background anyway while we're recording, but I use SM58s so the sound won't get picked up very much.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

8one6 posted:

My friends and I do something like that. We have the film audio fed into the interface so we can hear it on our headsets but we don't add it as a channel to the recording so it doesn't show up on the commentary. We tried just keeping the sound low on the first couple of episodes and after light compression you can make out the film. If it was a movie anyone gave a gently caress about we could be in trouble.

If you want it to be a track people listen to while watching the film you just need an obvious sync point. We usually have the listener pause the commentary and hit play once the production company logos fade completely to black.

Here's an example of what we do.

This is excellent, thanks a lot and I'll go and listen to your work :)

Headphones looks like the way to go I think, really don't want any audio bleedover to torpedo the whole thing.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

8one6 posted:

Keep in mind the forced filmography episodes are as low effort as possible, at least one of us is drinking during a recording, and I don't include them in the podcasts rss feed because they are some of the most self indulgent poo poo we do.
Heh ok.

To be honest I'm doing this as a pilot and it'll be self indulgent for us too. It'll be an interesting topic and we just want to see if it has legs and if our regular podcast downloaders are interested in that kinda thing.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

That is the best loving name

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Oh god does anybody know why Audition CC, when you ripple delete on one track, will completely remove the envelope keyframes on a totally different track? It is the most frustrating poo poo.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Other way is to get the other side to record their audio locally and send it on. Better quality if they have the kit to do it. Even a decent smartphone will be better than Skype compression.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Congrats, keeping something going in your spare time for that long is an amazing achievement. I'm starting to burn out after a year of weekly episodes and I'm only getting just over 100 downloads per episode. It's soul crushing sometimes. How do I promote my show better?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

The broadcast compressor preset in Audition is what I use, with an identical preset with a lower volume output for recordings that came out a little too hot for the full compressor. Is there a similar preset for Audacity?

Bit of EQ can help as well sometimes but if your mics are decent that shouldn't need playing with.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

If anyone here wants to record live events with an audience, I had the opportunity to ask an ex-BBC Radio 4 comedy producer about how he does it. He produces the excellent comedy podcast Do The Right Thing. Which I absolutely guarantee will be the funniest thing you've ever heard.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/dotherightthing/

It's all in multiple Twitter threads so I can assemble it here if anyone is interested?

PS, will check your podcast out tomorrow! ^^^^

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

8one6 posted:

I would be interested in reading that.

OK, I just collated all of this together in order and added some explanatory notes in square brackets:

I initially asked about recording audience reactions while not getting the feedback possible from mics near PAs and in the middle of the room etc. I am tempted to just stick an extra mic pair on stage at my event pointed at the crowd and behind the PA at my event so I asked about that.

quote:

I use my own mixing desk. Output signal minus audience to house desk. Record signal with audience. So no feedback probs.

That in particular sounded like a great idea if you have the kit to hand. Most of the time you have to use the venue kit, so it may be worth plugging any audience mics into your recorder directly - bypassing the house desk - if you have no second mixing desk.

On the subject of PA bleeding into your audience mics...

quote:

Well, I'm mixing live with good headphones, I do try to just add in enough audience. Inevitable you'll get PA bleed. I used to rec and edit thousands of R4 comedy shows. Do The Right Thing is much more 'live' sounding because you get much more 'room' in the mix.

(Which makes sense, it's a live comedy show with a raucous audience and you want that to come across in the mix)

quote:

BH [Broadcasting House, BBC Radio Theatre] has about 12 audience mics and 12 audience mini speakers in addition to main PA. I think impossible to match that sound with a stereo pair. Even I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue [Classic BBC radio show] shows recorded in theatres [it tours around the country] use 6-8 audience mics.

So they can filter out selected bits of the room to change the tone. Many small mics better than a few big mics. Sounds so obvious now that you think about it...

quote:

Also radio shows the SM [Sound Mixer or Studio Manager, not sure which] is in a different room or in a van outside. I use headphones sitting under a PA speaker! Inevitably a more lo-fi sound overall. But I'm at peace with that. Also what I do in post production v diff to R4 shows... I use much more compression on podcasts. And much harsher EQing.

I found this bit particularly amusing, since I use tons of compression to get that classic bassy overly-loud FM sound and I probably shouldn't. All of my podcasts are recorded with nice Shure SM58s and then I whack the broadcast compressor preset from Audition over the top. I probably mix my average voice levels a bit higher than is recommended because I want it to stand out more and have some punch.

Kinda tempted to not do that so much but I think it's a good thing because of where people listen to podcasts in noisy environments etc.

Anyway, would love to hear people's thoughts on this topic or anything to do with processing/EQ/etc.

Here's an example of Ben's work (I just picked a random episode): http://feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/275195957-britishcomedyguide-do-the-right-thing-episode-06-01.mp3

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jick Magger posted:

Kamehamayhem!

Oki doki, the subject matter isn't for me but technically, not too bad. May be worth EQing a bit of bottom end onto the vocal tracks though, they sound a little tinny.

Good job though.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

King Lou posted:

Record the tracks locally and marry them later. That's what I've done on plenty of podcasts where people are remote.

This is the best thing to do. They used to do television like this in Australia before the cities were linked up.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jick Magger posted:

Thanks for the feedback.

So you're saying they need a little more bass to them? They're recorded on lovely headset mics so I'm not surprised to hear they sound kinda tinny. I'll play around with it a bit.

Aye basically. Headset mics are very bad for that. Just a bit of light EQ on the low frequencies, don't go too nuts

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Hoping to revive this thread. How are we all doing? Are our listening stats going up? Any lessons learnt?

I'm going from 100-120 per episode in the first week to 150-200. And I'm at 17,000 total downloads now. That's a lot of episodes though so maybe not that good a tally...

Lots of things I've done though to improve it. We put our podcast details on our flyers for our events and we announce it at our events too. Also we've done some interviews and guest spots on similar podcasts and that always gets us a bump.

Still wishing I could make a breakthrough though. Our podcast is pretty niche I guess.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/edinburgh-skeptics-presents.../id988018626?mt=2

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

That sounds cool do let us know how it goes.

I'm working on something really cool. I'm doing a Radio 4-style comedy panel show all about skepticism and science etc. Like a low-rent QI for the radio. We'll have comedians on and famous skeptic and science types which will hopefully draw in the crowns and I think I have the tech all sorted out:

1 mixer sending to my zoom H5 in mono
5x sm58 mics for the talent
A shotgun mic plugged directly plugged into the H5 so it doesn't come out of the PA.
Multitrack record so I can adjust both later.

I'm hoping to shoot for the moon with the gusts and maybe make the podcast as good as Do The Right Thing. We'll see. I got inspired after talking to that Radio 4 engineer :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Best thing to do that I've found is market directly to groups that deal in what your podcast is about, and also make some relationships with other podcasts in the same genre/field.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pan one L and one R? Ghetto multitrack. Fix in post.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Ugh I don't bother with that I just leave both tracks in. It's more realistic to a radio studio setup and it's barely noticeable.

Also, I'm very lazy.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Is the pattern the same on the 57? Still gotta get close?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Song For The Deaf posted:

I wasn't talking about different mic, I was pluralizing :)

It's a dynamic microphone so you want to be up on it (about 6 inches between your mouth and the mic).

Yeh, sorry, was talking about my own experiences, I use 58s myself and you really notice the prox effect.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I should have said that heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Possibly not the best place to post this, but I have two tickets for Lovett or Leave It in London on January 13th. It’s sold out, I can’t go.

Anyone interested?

https://crooked.com/podcast-series/lovett-or-leave-it/

Edit: Gone.

For actual content: Also, how do I get my old Libsyn stats after they changed their system?

thehustler fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 5, 2018