Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I do a podcast called Lou Reads the Internet for YOU!. I go to forums around the internet that "normal people" wouldn't normally go to (including SA) and find interesting threads and read from them. People seem to enjoy it.

I've also sat in on The Flophouse Podcast which is a fun podcast about movies that features some comedians and a writer for the Daily Show. When I'm there I've been replacing the Daily Show guy.

And I've sat in on The Comedy Nerds which is a podcast about the world of comedy in general. The hosts are comedians I've worked with in the past and they've had me come on to talk about specifically "blue" topics like 30 Rock a XXX Parody and stuff like that.

Its a fun process for sure. My most technically challenging episode was the reading from the Large Penis Support Group. Normally I do reads as dry as possible. Just try to read like I'm reading the news or an opinion piece. But that one I did in the style of a stupid morning zoo DJ. It was fun but lining up all those sound effects was tedious!

If anyone wants me to sit in on their podcast.. I'll do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Goddimus posted:

I podcast with 3 other goons in a weekly show, called Movie Rental Roundup, that generally runs 45 minutes to an hour per episode. Our show is at http://www.movierentalroundup.com and we review movie rentals, if that wasn't already apparent. It definitely give us a lot of opportunity for creativity as we can review any movie that can be rented, be it fresh releases or 80's favorites. We essentially talk about one movie a week, give our review of it, give a recommendation to rent or to avoid, and try to be as funny and entertaining as we can.

It's a lot of fun and we have been doing it for half a year now with no end in sight.

-The Capm I will check out your show this week.

I was just going through this thread again. DId you really kill your podcast? Like a month after posting it with "no end in sight."

King Lou fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 24, 2011

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

You have some serious 'plosive' noise going on in some of those promos.

I guess it helps to think about how its going to sound shoehorned into someone else's podcast. I'd have a hard time segueing into any of those.

I'm down do trade promos but we should probably think about how we want them to sound or whatever. I just would rather not try to force a huge tonal change down anyones throats mid-podcast.

Anything I make is probably going to be like "Hi, You're listening to Digital Porridge. My name is Lou from the Podcast, Lou Reads the Internet for You. When you're done listening to the cross-Atlantic stylings of DP why not stop by loureads.com for you bi-weekly fill of the internets worst discussion read for you in a pleasant manner. You'll be glad you did... maybe glad isn't the word... Now back to Digital Porridge."

Something to consider.

I made this for the Shroom With a View podcast a couple of months ago.

Also

quote:

Customer Ratings
We have not received enough ratings to display an average for this podcast.

I wish more people would take the time to vote for poo poo. Also, did you know that itunes shows different comments in the iTunes Store proper and on the web interface? I just read 3 great comments that I'd never seen before. But they are only on the iTunes Page for my podcast http://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/lou-reads-the-internet-for-you/id310513394?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Thats really kind of lame...

King Lou fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 24, 2011

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Zeiros posted:

I know this sort of podcast isn't for everybody, but we hit #13 in the iTunes comedy podcast charts a while back, and have been featured all over the front of iTunes multiple times (just in case that sways your decision to give us a listen):

May I ask you where your audience comes from and discovers your podcast? Do you have any idea how you got to #13? It seems like an odd candidate for top 15. Not dissing you show. I'm actually listening to it now and it seems pleasant enough so far! I'm just always curious about how things take off. I've discovered fans in weird corners, like random corners of reddit and elsewhere but :iiam: how many people have heard of it if they aren't from SA. Also, as has been mentioned, getting people to rate a show is like pulling teeth.

In other news I started uploading my podcast to mixcloud (http://i.mixcloud.com/CRVkb) just to have them up somewhere else. I also upgraded my own server so hopefully the next episode won't have the download issue anymore.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Zeiros posted:

The vast majority of our initial listeners came via Twitter, where both of us have a few thousand followers on our 'joke telling' accounts.

The growth thereafter happened in a few big bursts: Two prominent iTunes listings (no idea where these came from, I just guess somebody in the iTunes office heard and liked us), shoutouts from other podcasts (nothing we asked for, just people saying "hey, we heard, and like, this..."), occasional bursts of visitors via StumbleUpon. Outside of the big spurts of growth, our download count is increasing steadily in an organic way as I guess people stumble over the website, or recommend us to friends.

Wait a second. You each had several thousand followers on "Joke Telling" accounts? What's that all about? I mean starting with a base of 2-3k potential listeners is basically unheard of for most podcasts. How is it that you both have huge followings on twitter? What are these jokes?! Also did you make the art for that rectangular button in the middle of the itunes store?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, I had an episode get selected by buzzfeed for the front page and the file suddenly stopped being available as 5,000 people tried to download it. Thanks Dreamhost!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

krushgroove posted:

Anyway. If anyone wants to check it out the new site is here: http://www.digitalporridge.com/ yay!

I see you're on the podcast alley forum thing. I had a membership there but the last time I logged in I got this message

quote:

You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

I emailed to see what thats about but they never responded. I think they get a ton of forum spam.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Battering Ham posted:

It never really occurred to me to check SA for other podcasters until about a week ago. I am thoroughly impressed as there are some great podcast. I've already recommened 'Lou Reads the Internet' to a couple of my goon pals.

Here is my podcast. i will be throwing a page up on the wiki in a day or so.

Haters for Hire
Website

Thanks, man.

I was just listening to your podcast. Can I ask you how you record it? I'm having a hard time hearing what some of the guys are saying. It could be my ears but it sounds like at least one of the guys is across the room from the mic which makes me raise the volume to hear what he's saying only to get blown out by the people closest to the mic.

In contrast I went to gently caress the Deaf after yours and it was SUPER LOUD. Like turn it all the way down to make it listenable.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 4, 2011

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

^^^^^
Seriously, you might want to bring the max volume down a bit because I literally had it almost all the way down from being all the way before. Thats really loud!

Hey podcasters or people looking to podcast. I guess this is up in the slickdeals forum but Amazon is selling the Blue Snowball USB mic, which I use to do a lot of recording for super cheap today.

Its normally $99 and its like $65 or maybe less. I think the deal is only good on the Black one now but whatever. If you're thinking about buying a really decent podcasting mic I highly recommend it. I've actually done commercial VO work with mine.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 4, 2011

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I answered a lot of VO work questions in this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3377091#post386270417

short version is Voice123 and Voices.com

They they are free to join but 99.999999% guranteed you won't get any job leads if unless you upgrade to paid membership. If you go free you can see jobs but can't submit auditions. I've lucked out on voice123 but not voices. I get lots of job listing every day but you're up against a lot of people who are doing the same thing, including me...

I'm actually re-recording my demo next week. It's so pricey to do it right, its kind of sick.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 5, 2011

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I am updating my demo professionally for a couple of reasons. I could do it myself but I want it done right. I'm also being helped by a talent agent who is going to coach me through the session. The problem with doing it yourself is that you don't have any feedback. Things you may think were fine may not be. Trust me on that. I am often surprised that what I think is good is way off. This guy is an agent for huge clients so he knows what he's talking about. Then the studio is just going to be a better place to record than my apartment. I have friends who do audio professionally for commercials but from my experience asking them to help is just torture for everyone involved. They don't really want to be there, they don't really care about which take is best, etc.

I use ProTools or Audacity depending on the situation. Audacity is pretty amazing but its lacking some features I like.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Battering Ham posted:

Great Question, right now i use a C01U - USB Studio Condenser Microphone. That recording is actually quite hosed up due to the one guy demanding to sit at the other end of the table (and he also talked kind of quiet as well). The one i actually posted today used 4 microphones and threes guest though there was still some weird glitch out with garage band.

Were you using 4 USB mics at the same time? I've always wondered if that would work.

In other news, I am officially fed up with dreamhost loving up my poo poo. Loureads has been up and down and people are still getting partially downloaded media or terminated downloads (which is a new one for me.) Since I asked people to let me know I've gotten a bunch of reports of it happening. Sigh...

So, Lisbyn doesnt support wordpress so I'm looking at Blubrry or maybe something else. I was talking to the guy from The F Plus and he said he gets 5k downloads a week! WHAAAAA! Thats crazy...

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

yeah I was thinking about this. It would pretty difficult for someone to do it unless it was their job or had a poo poo ton of time on their hands. I mean if you're going to do that you might as well be one of these guys who has like a daily stickam show or something.

But you said "anybody else" so are you doing a daily podcast?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

So I switched over my media to blubrry. Not 100% sold that it was the right move but I was freaking out about poo poo so I pulled the trigger. Please let me know if you guys run into any weird issues playing the podcast or downloading it.

Thanks!

DeadIdeaValhalla, I just listened to your promo that you made for Lou Reads. It's hilarious. I'm putting it in the next episode.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

The Capm posted:

Fantastic. I would love to run a Lou Reads one (I've listened to about 10 episodes so far. I'm pretty into it) but for it go up this week, I'd need it tomorrow. If you want, I can write one.

EDIT: ReverendHammer, I'll check some out this weekend.

Try this one. or you can write whatever you like.

EDIT: I literally finished uploading this and my wife came out of the bedroom, kicked out by our restless 2 year old, and I had to stop recording for the night. Fun city living!

King Lou fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 12, 2011

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Capm - I ran your promo at the end of the podcast I posted today. It may have been a little loud...

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Its in my profile but I work at Columbia University. I have my own office and I'm in there alone for long stretches some days. My door is open so people walk by and sometimes peer in or come to pick things up which can make recording kind of a pain in the rear end. I have managed to record real paying jobs in there so it can't be all that loud. The other good thing is that no one really cares what I look at. There are probably 5 thousand computers on the net at work. Between students, professors, unprotected wifi (although they are getting rid of that soon) and unmonitored terminals people can pretty much do whatever they want. I work on a Mac because I despise Windows so I don't even have to log into the a user account. Wheee!!!

I spent all day today fighting protools to bounce that stupid episode. GRRRRRR!

I do most of my episodes at home but then I have to wait for everyone to be asleep which makes me tired and also makes me want to play video games instead of recording. At work I usually use Audacity and my Blue Snowball mic.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

krushgroove posted:

Sorry, don't know anything about Google stuff (still can't figure out how to advertising on a Youtube video that's got over 250,000 views)

1) What is the video

2) Do you have an adsense account?

I basically got an email from YouTube when my video hit a certain amount of hits. It seems kind of bizarro how they choose who to contact. I make like $20 a month from all my adsense on a good month. Not great...

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

FunkyVajjina posted:

Youtube *best ofs* are a great way to get new listeners. I just haven't gotten off my lazy rear end to do so for TRID yet.

Thats a really good idea. I should make some of those. Some of my early episodes that I made in Garageband had image streams that went along with them but it was such a pain in the rear end that eventually gave up making them. Putting together a 10 minute video of audio clips with some appropriate images doesn't sound too bad.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Interesting. Is there a reason you move that still image slowly across the screen? Also, why not make a clickable annotation that links to your site?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I was loving around in iMovie and I made this. It's ok. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTQnek6ENFk

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

krushgroove posted:

Well, drat, it helps to have a bunch of videos and regular viewers, for sure! You've already got plenty of views and even COMMENTS! Jealous I am.

edit: just found out the iTunes reviews are different on different sides of the pond. On the UK site I see 6 reviews for my show, and an American friend of mine told me there's 5 showing up on the US site. I can understand splitting up the reviews between different regions, but drat it makes it confusing, especially when there's different reviews showing up on the site and in the program.

Don't be jealous. The fans of my Mac Tips only want more Mac Tips apparently. I just piggy backed it on that account because I know there are some fans of my work there. I also hit the r/Drugs subreddit and facebook. I don't expect this to be a huge traffic item!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

The Capm posted:

King Lou, I've been trying to listen to some old episodes and man, you weren't kidding about having some difficulties with your hosting. Have you moved any episodes to your new host? I encountered problems with the heroin episode, the zoophilia episode and the meth episode. They either cut off earlier or would restart half way through, etc etc. I just wanted to give you a headsup.

What the gently caress... I checked and all those episodes are being hosted on the new media service. How did you download them? Did you re-download them and then they worked or what? I have a feeling I am going to end up moving the media again if these guys can't explain what the gently caress is going on. This is the 2nd complaint I've gotten. It really doesn't make any sense. According to the the stats they serve up I'm getting less traffic than I thought. So hard to tell...

King Lou fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 23, 2011

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

The Capm posted:

I downloaded them from Youtube on sunday night. I will try to get them from the site and see if it works better.

Sorry, I know technical frustrations are among the most frustratingest of frustrations.

Wait... YouTube? Are you sure you mean YouTube?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

The Capm posted:

God drat it, I'm an idiot. Itunes. My wife was talking to me about a youtube at the same time.

LOL. I thought so. So they are trying to download all the media again and fix poo poo. Dreamhost is apparently serving up poo poo weird. Luckily I have hardcopies of all the files. I re-uploaded the heroin episode. Slowly but surely figuring out what the gently caress they did.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

So if anyone was wondering about making the podcast into a video on youtube and getting google adsense on it this is what you need to look out for. I just got this email

quote:

Dear robotlou,

Your video Lou Reads: Best of Erowid Bad Drug Trip Reports might be eligible for the YouTube Partnership Program, which allows you to make money from playbacks of your video.

Making money from your video is easy. Here's how it works: First sign into your YouTube account. Then, review and complete the steps outlined here: - LINK TO THEIR RULES -

If your video is approved, we'll start placing ads next to the video and pay you a share of the revenue as long as you meet the program requirements.

We look forward to adding your video to the YouTube Partnership Program.

Now, I lied and said I didn't have any music or photographs in the video because they will basically auto-reject it then. They may still auto-reject it but I guess I'll take my chances.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

WedgeEC posted:

I had an incredible show for this Friday! It'll be available at 8AM PST. I'd like to hear what you guys think.

http://www.wedgeradio.net/

When I just went there to play it I got an error. It just says "error" in the player window. And downloading it have me a "Oops! Google Chrome could not find http" error

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

There is nothing quite like trouble shooting podcast and website poo poo to ruin a saturday morning. Woke this AM to discover that my rss feed was wrecked by someone inserting some invisible spam poo poo in my footer. I can't figure out where it is. It references all kinds of files html that don't exist in my index and on some other site. The files don't exist there either.

Because of that my itunes feed is all hosed up because this crazy text bomb is breaking my rss feed.

So... annoyed....

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

It SHOULD all be working again. I want to go through and re-link everything again just to be sure its working and whatever. As I knew it would be, this has been a huge pain in the rear end and I'm not sure I'll even see an increase in download success at this point. For now I just need to concentrate on the next podcast and move forward. I have to say that the only reason I know these files aren't working most of the time is because of fans or people in threads who are having the issues. I would have never heard about it otherwise. Todays RSS thing was something I discovered via a facebook fan. Still, this is a giant pain in the rear end and I'm looking forward to it being over.

Now to start scouring through my list of sites to read from... There is a really great drug trip experience in TCC about a person taking Iboga and their nutso trip but I feel like I need to give drug and sex stories a rest for a minute.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I've been at this for about 2 years and I have some insight to share about getting traffic.

I started out just hammering my friends (sending them links) and trying to find places to spam my podcast links. I bought a banner ad here on SA. I signed up with projectwonderful to buy traffic from high traffic sites and sell banner space on my low traffic blog. I post my podcast on reddit in a section I think will appreciate it. (atheism, wtf, ponies, etc...) I submit to Digg, stumbleupon and anywhere else I think wouldn't be a bad place to do. I also did the whole site map thing for google and try to use good keywords in my titles and so on.

The SA Banner ad is a great bargain. One thing thats annoying is that so many people banner spam like 10 banners at once so they have a greater chance of popping up. I've thought about buying a fark ad but those people seem to be such judgy jerkoffs. I never get links approved there anyway. I've also thought about buying a reddit ad from their self-serve ad thing. That one seems like it might be worth it since its cheap ($20 a day I think...) but its only one day if IIRC.

Promotionally I've given away magnets (still giving them away) I've offered voice mail recording and personalized messaging for people. I basically make a long plea for ratings and so on at the end of every podcast. I carry business cards and leave them all over the place and give them to people all the time.

I also have a facebook fan page and I post to it frequently and get interesting feedback and suggestions there.

What is amazing to me is how many of my friends don't listen to podcasts at all. They've listened to mine maybe once or twice but thats it. They'll always be like "Oh yeah, I fell behind...." There is only so much you can do. I mean if you could get a famous person to mention your podcast on their podcast or something that would probably be the best. I mean imagine if you could get Patton Oswalt to tweet about your podcast? Your server would get shut down!

Thats all for now!

New Lou Reads is up.

http://loureads.com/2011/03/31/lou-reads-a-forum-for-adults-who-love-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic/

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

So to add more misery to my misery pile some weird poo poo happened to my feedburner feed.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/LouReadsTheInternetForYou It apparently now goes to some lovely dead sites place holder. There is no explaination to be to be had. The feed http://loureads.com/?feed=rss2 is up and appears normal but seriously... WTF... I checked my htaccess, I checked the wp-config. I checked a ton of poo poo looking for exploits. Nothing...

I changed my passwords and everything. Its just very frustrating...

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Tell me about it. It makes no sense. Google doesn't respond to that sort of inquiry As far as i know. It's like no one is minding the store.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Wow... Thanks. I could not figure it out for the life of me. Looks like I have a busy and annoying evening ahead of me.

EDIT: Ok... well it looks like someone did actually gently caress with my site just to gently caress with it. I ran that sucuri scan on loureads and got this

quote:

Malware entry: MW:DEFACED:01

Description:

Site got defaced (hacked with the web page modified). Generally done for fun, political reasons and by script kiddies.

So most likely someone who didn't like what I read or felt I might appreciate it for the "LULZ...." bleh

EDIT 2: Well it looks like this happened a while ago. Like February. Dreamhost was able to find the hacked files. I'm deleting all the unused themes because thats apparently where these jazzholes hide poo poo.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 7, 2011

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

krushgroove posted:

Glad to help! the defacing or whatever wasn't on the site last week, I listened to an episode from the site then, so it only went up late last week or this week. Very happy you got rid of it though - now that you know the root of it, that should solve a few of the issues (although I think the shortened episode thing is/was a downloading thing)

The download issue should be all taken care of now. Hopefully the hack is all gone, too.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Just wanted to let you guys know that the latest episode of Lou Reads the Internet for YOU! is up

Episode 69: The Discussions of Tea Party Nation

Its another episode recorded at my job and I was coming down with strep throat while I recorded it. That doesn't detract from the quality! I actually used my Blue Snowball that I keep at work. I'm really intrigued with new Yeti Pro and might pick it up. I also bought a refurbed m-Audio mic from a Woot deal. It was a piece of poo poo and isn't fully repaired. Wasn't worth returning.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

When you buy an ad thats it. No changes. There is no way for you to change the image. It's a fire and forget system.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Go generic!

Just got a funny bit of positive news. I just heard that the band Battles has listened to every episode of my podcast on the tour bus. Now if I could only get them to tell all their fans at every show... or maybe just a tweet or something... Still good to know!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I got a guy last night to download an episode of my podcast while I was on xbox live and he balked at 51 minutes. 2 hours needs to be super duper engaging!

Whats up with the banner ad?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I like it. my only suggestion would be to make the 2 lines of text larger. That "entertainment" text is soooo tiny. Besides that its absolutely fine. When you buy the ad on SA you upload it to the SA server so you don't have to host it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

So Earwolf now has a new site which includes a forum and a way to advertise your podcast for $5 a month in their podcast directory.

http://www.earwolf.com/yourcast-signup/

Its kind of crazy considering the forum is just starting... I am curious though...

EDIT: The forums are totally fubar right now. 500 errors all over the place... was barely able to register for the forum.

EDIT 2: I just realized that they are making their forum on Wordpress which means it going to suck hardcore and be wrecked anytime they get good traffic. I haven't been able to login reliably since I registered.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 31, 2011