Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

yeah, that sounds along the lines of something that gimlet or npr would make, and (anecdotally, anyway) i have tons of friends who listen to that sort of stuff, and some who listen to that style exclusively. i think the barrier isn't necessarily the audience (or at least not more than any other style), but just that it's so much less time-consuming for creators to just edit a natural conversation between a few people than it is to do a ton of research, write a script, conduct interviews, find music, do sound design, and mix all that together in a compelling way. if you can pull all that off, though, i think you could definitely find an audience. i'd definitely give the pilot a listen if you posted it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I think it's mostly a personal preference thing, but I always record isos for pretty much everything (not just podcasts) because it's a lot of potential benefit for very little extra effort. If someone bumps a mic or coughs at an inopportune time, it's gonna be way harder to save whatever is going on at the time if you're trying to edit a mix instead of tracks. I think I also do more extensive editing than a lot of people do, so that may not be something you're worried about. If you think you don't need them then you might not.

That said, this:

red19fire posted:

I have to do a bunch of fuckery with duplicating the mono tracks so that it's a balanced stereo mix
leads me to believe that the trouble you're having is with your workflow. It's been a while since I used Audacity, but something weird is going on if you have to do this. You should just be able to have two mono tracks with pan controls on the left-hand track header. I have no idea what fuckery you're having to do to balance things out, but I'm like 90% sure that there is a much, much simpler way to do whatever it is you're doing.

Gin_Rummy posted:

I currently have it sitting in a Google drive that I can add you too if you’d be comfortable providing an email address. Alternatively, if anyone can recommend a good temporary hosting/streaming service I could throw it on, I could do that instead.
Sorry, I completely missed this somehow! You can just use my username at gmail if you want, or put it up on soundcloud or something!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

yeah, that definitely sounds like something is getting messed up either in the way the zoom saves its files or the way audacity uses them. i've never used the H5, but since thehustler doesn't have this same problem, i'm thinking maybe audacity is assigning each mono track to be a stereo channel instead of a mono track when you import?

again, audacity may have changed since i used it, but i think that in the left side header's drop down menu on each track, there was a way to change that assignment. i mostly used it to combine two hard-panned mono tracks into a stereo channel, but maybe something in there will let you go the other way round.

the other option is to try a different daw! reaper is the good free option, and if you can get it to work in there without any fuss, then you'll know something is funky with audacity.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

a de-esser is your friend in this situation (just make sure not to go overboard, because it'll turn it into an unnatural-sounding lisp). lots of DAWs have them built in, but if you have a budget then iZotope RX has a good one i use for basically everything. alternately, you can set one up yourself with a multiband compressor, where you only compress between ≈5kHz-12kHz. if you don't already have one of the two built into your DAW, i'd suggest tracking down a de-esser over a multiband compressor since it'll probably be easier to use.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

yeah, the bed music is pretty quiet. it's been years since i've used audacity so i don't fully remember how it works, but i think there's a way to view the spectrogram and you'll be able to see your esses on there pretty distinctly. if you use that to help guide what frequencies to carve out with the de-esser, you can dial it in pretty well by ear. it's helpful to have a decent set of headphones, too. they can be especially helpful if you've been trying to mix on earbuds or built-in computer speakers, since those cut out a lot of low/mid frequencies.