Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

You can get access to GPUs on Google colab, and that’s probably easier and faster than doing things on your own laptop. https://colab.research.google.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
What are some things I can challenge myself with to tell myself I am a programmer and not just someone who sometimes writes and mostly copies code ? I don't use algorithims but I feel like that, and not really getting a lot of programming concepts means I am not a programmer yet. I have been in the field professionally for less than one year still, but I mostly come from an RPA/power apps background.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

kneelbeforezog posted:

What are some things I can challenge myself with to tell myself I am a programmer and not just someone who sometimes writes and mostly copies code ? I don't use algorithims but I feel like that, and not really getting a lot of programming concepts means I am not a programmer yet. I have been in the field professionally for less than one year still, but I mostly come from an RPA/power apps background.

Honestly I think that comes from business needs. I work as a Product Manager so I will present a new feature to the devs and they'll brainstorm and try to find a way to make the requests happen. So maybe try to figure out something that doesn't exist yet and try to make it exist.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

kneelbeforezog posted:

http://www.emulator101.com/ is a fun project you might learn something from?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

if you were like me, a doofus who got a degree in cyber security and have a pretty broad portfolio of IT and coding skills, and really want to break out of a non technical role into a devsecops type of role, how would you begin?

I've got data structure experience alongside some rusty java/python coding, I'm doing some CRUD programming loving around with discord bots, but want to get serious. Do I just go straight to Leetcode? Are there good security specific bootcamps I should have on my radar?

sorting out the noise is difficult so I'd appreciate any pointers on where to look. I'd especially like to get experience with CI/CD but maybe I just really need a developer job first....

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

I'd especially like to get experience with CI/CD but maybe I just really need a developer job first....

1. Make a build pipeline for your discord bots. Github Actions is easy to get started with.
2. Refactor your bot to be 12-factor-ish - no hard-coded secrets or URLs. Maybe package it in a docker image. Write some tests. Make your pipeline run unit tests and lint the code in addition to building it.
3. Add deployment to your pipeline. Every commit to main should get deployed without further intervention.

Optionally:
- test and prod - maybe the test bot works in a different channel or something so you can test new functionality.
- end-to-end tests - your pipeline deploys the bot, then calls the Discord API to send a message or whatever triggers the bot, then calls the API again to assert the bot did the right thing. Don't go overboard, just put the scaffolding in place.

If you do that, then congrats - you know way more about how CI/CD actually works than a large portion of professional developers at many organizations. You can demo it in an interview - not every employer will feel that that "counts" as experience, but some good one will somewhere and boom, you have a developer job.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Erwin posted:

If you do that, then congrats - you know way more about how CI/CD actually works than a large portion of professional developers at many organizations. You can demo it in an interview - not every employer will feel that that "counts" as experience, but some good one will somewhere and boom, you have a developer job.

don't even have to demo it, just being able to describe the process and talk about the concepts used in building that is enough to put you at the top of the stack

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Erwin posted:

If you do that, then congrats - you know way more about how CI/CD actually works than a large portion of professional developers at many organizations.

Fact. I know ours does this, and more. But I couldn't tell you poo poo about it other than green icons in Github are good for a merge, and occasionally looking in CircleCI to see when the deploy finally went through. And all I know about CircleCI is how to look at the status of a merge/deploy cycle to see where my PR is and if it's live. Blissfully ignorant of the crazy amount of work that goes into that mess.

hot sauce pee hole
May 18, 2023

I have a ~~drug felony~~ on my record. I've been off probation for 2 years now, and it's my only offense. I've been wanting to enroll in a coding bootcamp for python/data science. Is this an unrealistic goal? Would I be better off with a web developer course?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

hot sauce pee hole posted:

I have a ~~drug felony~~ on my record. I've been off probation for 2 years now, and it's my only offense. I've been wanting to enroll in a coding bootcamp for python/data science. Is this an unrealistic goal? Would I be better off with a web developer course?

I'm not quite sure how your first sentence connects with the rest of your post. To me it sounds like you have an assumption that data scientists have a harder background check to pass than web developers?

I'd say go for whichever discipline you find more interesting/rewarding/enjoyable. Dealing with the felony is a separate issue and something you're going to have to face no matter which career you choose.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The background check is going to be the same regardless of what position you're looking at. It will vary more based on company than specific role or title. Like a bank will have stricter requirements than like an auto parts e-commerce site.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I have a friend who did several years in prison for something worse than drugs, and he's worked at Amazon. it'll depend on the company

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
i think i've had a background check on 2/5 of my jobs. Unless you're applying to work in some standardized industry, like gambling (just an example of an industry I was working in), you're probably gonna have just a hard of a time finding a job as someone with no history.

e: and also i don't recommend applying to those jobs because I had to take a pee test for one, and had to use synthetic pee because i like to smoke weed :colbert:. absolute nonsense

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do you have facial tattoos? Big ones? Are they cool or weird

Most places just want someone who can do the job with minimal drama, maybe go above and beyond the job description and grow in the role

Tech is probably one of the top three most accepting industries, you'll get rejected by a lot of super straight laced Goldman Sachs places, but at other companies they'll value your life experience

I have a handful of minor stuff on my permanent record nobody has ever brought it up. Drugs are better than like, theft or violent crimes which are actually applicable to potential behavioral stuff in an office environment which is mostly what they care about imo

Send it

Go with a proper developer title/job track. Data engineer is a weird wishy washy title that won't exist in 10 years

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hadlock posted:

Go with a proper developer title/job track. Data engineer is a weird wishy washy title that won't exist in 10 years

Yeah, but the work will still be there regardless of the title. I'd suggest going with whatever you find most interesting.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

The most surprising part about going into tech from a background in bartending and the service industry was finding out that hard drug use was actually more common among my coworkers. People looking at your background check with any scrutiny are looking for habits that might cost the company money or be a health/legal/security liability, not drug offenses.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah at least in start ups, as long as your output is reasonably steady, the people who did the most drugs tended to get promoted the fastest. Or at least, got the most interesting projects to work on. As long as you can pass your leetcode and reliably clock in before 10am nobody gives a gently caress what you do in your spare time

hot sauce pee hole
May 18, 2023

Thanks for the responses everyone I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about things than I had been.

I was leaning towards data science because in lockdown I studied python a bit and "careers in python" google search points to data science. I guess I didn't want that half book I read 3 years ago to go to waste. The data theory that I studied didn't really thrill me. I took some EdX courses to show my PO I was busy on lockdown but what interested me was just the figuring out of how to get the code to work and fixing it when it didn't.

So I went ahead and got in contact with Rutger's bootcamp for their web developer course and bought a copy of HTML, CSS, & JavaScript For Dummies to get a head start.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Thanks for the responses everyone I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about things than I had been.

I was leaning towards data science because in lockdown I studied python a bit and "careers in python" google search points to data science. I guess I didn't want that half book I read 3 years ago to go to waste. The data theory that I studied didn't really thrill me. I took some EdX courses to show my PO I was busy on lockdown but what interested me was just the figuring out of how to get the code to work and fixing it when it didn't.

So I went ahead and got in contact with Rutger's bootcamp for their web developer course and bought a copy of HTML, CSS, & JavaScript For Dummies to get a head start.

Looks like that book was just released so you should be fine. Software development technologies move very quickly. Depending on the technology, the resources that are one or several years old might not be good. There are tons of amazing resources out there, so if you need help finding the next step to take, definitely ask here.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
In a better world, knowing pretty much any Python would mean you could get a job updating excel based admin work and just automating everything, even if it does mean you're that 'you should do it in Python' guy

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Reminds me of an early job where I spent a lot of time diagnosing why one veep’s super complicated Excel inventory and money document was consistently pennies off from a super-complicated SQL query that measured inventory and money in a different way. Both were ten years old and filled with a lot of “choices”.

I actually kind of enjoyed that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

StumblyWumbly posted:

In a better world, knowing pretty much any Python would mean you could get a job updating excel based admin work and just automating everything, even if it does mean you're that 'you should do it in Python' guy

I did this at my last job and constantly fought with our CIO that wanted to get everyone to use Alteryx

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

I am an operations manager and beverage director for a bar focused restaurant group looking to move into the developer world. My main focus for dropping job applications has been a handful of restaurant adjacent tech companies. I just applied to a role as an operations manager focused on data analysis in their sales department. It recommends a skill set of python, sql, excel, data visualization, data analysis, and project management. I am confident in nearly all of those areas. My big weakness is knowing the vocabulary and best practices of data analysis.

Does anybody have any recommendations for resources to make sure I know what I'm talking about if I get the interview?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Justa Dandelion posted:

I am an operations manager and beverage director for a bar focused restaurant group looking to move into the developer world. My main focus for dropping job applications has been a handful of restaurant adjacent tech companies. I just applied to a role as an operations manager focused on data analysis in their sales department. It recommends a skill set of python, sql, excel, data visualization, data analysis, and project management. I am confident in nearly all of those areas. My big weakness is knowing the vocabulary and best practices of data analysis.

Does anybody have any recommendations for resources to make sure I know what I'm talking about if I get the interview?

A udemy course on data analytics and data engineering would probably be good if you feel comfortable with the technologies. I'd look at both. If it's an operations role, some stuff on modern CICD practices would also help.

As a note: Your experience as operations manager is within a distributor capacity or are you an operations manager for the SAAS app or something? Because an logistical or industrial operations manager and an engineering/software operations manager are very different roles that share almost nothing besides the title. In general I wouldn't hire anyone in a management role who hasn't already managed developers (you typically grow into your first leadership role, being hired into your first developer manager role is rare even if you have other-industry management experience), and I certainly wouldn't ever hire someone to manage developers who didn't have experience in management OR being a developer. The best route to break into the industry is to look for a more entry-level job. If you have those other skills you'll rise up quickly.

I'm making some assumptions based on what you posted, so if you have developer experience, or if you were managing the operations of a true software arm then that's different. I am not unfamiliar with the kind of person who thinks titles from outside software are comparable and thats usually a very frustrating experience for them.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Lockback posted:

A udemy course on data analytics and data engineering would probably be good if you feel comfortable with the technologies. I'd look at both. If it's an operations role, some stuff on modern CICD practices would also help.

As a note: Your experience as operations manager is within a distributor capacity or are you an operations manager for the SAAS app or something? Because an logistical or industrial operations manager and an engineering/software operations manager are very different roles that share almost nothing besides the title. In general I wouldn't hire anyone in a management role who hasn't already managed developers (you typically grow into your first leadership role, being hired into your first developer manager role is rare even if you have other-industry management experience), and I certainly wouldn't ever hire someone to manage developers who didn't have experience in management OR being a developer. The best route to break into the industry is to look for a more entry-level job. If you have those other skills you'll rise up quickly.

I'm making some assumptions based on what you posted, so if you have developer experience, or if you were managing the operations of a true software arm then that's different. I am not unfamiliar with the kind of person who thinks titles from outside software are comparable and thats usually a very frustrating experience for them.

My experience is business/product operations for a restaurant group. Heavy project management and interdisciplinary "make things happen" sort of role. My dev experience is as a "freelance" solo developer who has written tools for small business end users.

This position is definitely NOT managing developers or software though. My understanding of the role I'd be entering is that it is a logistical operations position focused on gtm strategy for the sales team. I'd be building python/excel/etc... tools as an individual for providing data insights to a certain division of sales and to help the gtm team to make decisions about strategy. I could be wrong though.

I am not in a financial position to take entry level help desk work to grow into a traditional developer role. Though I do have the skills to perform well as a junior developer and would be able to survive on a junior dev salary, this job market is proving to be extremely difficult to change career in. Thus I am looking for a position that touches both the product and sales department of a restaurant adjacent tech company to leverage the 20 years of experience I have in restaurants, of which I am a true subject matter expert.

Edit: thank you for the udemy recommendation. Getting those started asap.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hi people. Originally posted this in an other thread. It was suggested I repost it here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey people, some goon advice needed.

So I'm self-employed, little business involving deliveries and distribution.

But it's kinda gradually drying up, I'm looking for something more steady and predictable.

So the UK is operating a free Skills Bootcamp to fill in holes in the job market. Generally seem to be a part-time 3 month course, with a qualifaction, guaranteed interview etc.

So I was thinking of trying one of the Digital courses.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/find-a-skills-bootcamp/london

Now I do have experience in IT, just well out of date. I used to be a professional computer toucher 20 years ago. Coded RPG400 and SQL, little Visual Basic. But I haven't touched them since.

Here's the problem. Looking at the Digital list, I have immediate decision paralysis. There's a lot of courses and I've no real idea what's likely to be a good one to go for in 2023, especially for someone who's 51. Note that I don't think that it's I couldn't do any of them in particular, I meant employers will be automatically looking for fresh 20 somethings in some of those roles so probably going to be very hard to get into.

If any of you can glance over the Digital list and make any useful suggestion I would be super-grateful. The only courses I'm actively 'Ehhhhh I'm not sure that's for me' about is the Digital Marketing, which don't sound like my cup of tea. Everything else I'd love to hear an opinion on.

Thanks.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Deptfordx posted:

Now I do have experience in IT, just well out of date. I used to be a professional computer toucher 20 years ago. Coded RPG400 and SQL, little Visual Basic. But I haven't touched them since.

Wow there's a lot of options. I can very much see how that'd be overwhelming. As a disclaimer the majority of roles I've been in have been data science/ analytics, not SWE, so I don't have as much to add on the latter.

On that note...

Data Analytics could be good (for whatever it's worth you'd probably be using SQL). The most important skill is translating analysis to 'business impact', and I'd imagine your experience running a business would translate and be a big plus.

Data Science may be pretty similar, in terms of course content. Imo choose between the two tracks, and individual boot camps, based on course content - ie a focus on stats/working with databases/modeling is better than Excel skills or learning a specific dashboarding tool. Imo it'seasier to learn to use a tool once you have the general background, but ymmv.

I guess I would say that for Data science specifically it can be harder to progress without a tertiary degree of some sort, at least relative to regular software engineering. Doesn't mean that the boot camp wouldn't be helpful! In general, data analytics (v much depends on the role) tends to care less about any specific background. Obviously make sure you like statistics, working with data, etc before committing to either of these.

I think the coding, or coding with Python would be good general introductions.

Just as a general rule (feel free to correct me if other folks know better)
I would probably avoid the ones that are targeting one technology - ie, AWS cloud engineer. Although AWS probably isn't going anywhere for a while, I think it'll probably be better to get foundational, general skills rather than tool-specific ones. You can always learn how to use a platform pretty quickly if you've got the basics.

I also think you should think about/ share what kind of work you enjoy! Could help narrow down some with that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ok, so that makes sense. I'd stand by my suggestion to cram a bunch of 100-level data classes and maybe touch on some stuff like AI or CICD just to sound more well rounded. Maybe even some stuff on Data Product Management, since it sounds like you'll be wearing a bunch of hats.

I'd also look up some agile stuff, Scrum is too heavy but being able to speak to kanban will be good.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Thank you Lockback!

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
My company is currently doing a lot of projects with CICD, GitLab Runners and Containers. I'm not sure what that all means but could be good skills to learn when you get to them.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You should learn scrum so that you can easily recognize and avoid it.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Yes, I'm going to be integrating Docker or Kubernetes into my next project for the practice. It's definitely sounding like CICD is a good workflow style to learn as well. Do you have any thoughts on how to practice that without a user base using my project?

Edit:

prom candy posted:

You should learn scrum so that you can easily recognize and avoid it.

Lol. The restatement group I work for actually uses scrum practices but only the worst ones.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Justa Dandelion posted:

Edit:

Lol. The restatement group I work for actually uses scrum practices but only the worst ones.
They're all the worst ones, you'll have to be more specific.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Justa Dandelion posted:

Yes, I'm going to be integrating Docker or Kubernetes into my next project for the practice. It's definitely sounding like CICD is a good workflow style to learn as well. Do you have any thoughts on how to practice that without a user base using my project?

Getting some raspberry pi's and building a K8s cluster that you can update containers without downtime is the best way to do this. Running through some online courses is probably good enough for what you're looking at though.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Lockback posted:

Getting some raspberry pi's and building a K8s cluster that you can update containers without downtime is the best way to do this. Running through some online courses is probably good enough for what you're looking at though.

do you have any resources for how to do this that you think are particularly good? I have a bunch of rpis but I don't know anything about k8s really and would love to put those to use learning it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

for a group of raspberry pi I would use k3s. it has an installation script

https://github.com/k3s-io/k3s

k3s is a magic self extracting archive that has swiss army knife functionality similar to like busybox. k3s is kubernetes, but it's a total rewrite for exactly the kind of home lab stuff you're doing that simplifies initial setup and will get you running in under half an hour

resources for running k3s:
1. install ubuntu 22.04 on your raspberry pi (3 or more ideally, one will be the master/controller, the other two act as HA nodes) then
2. run the script in the github url above and get the three nodes talking to eachother.
3. save off your kube.config file to a safe place and make sure you can access the cluster, you'll need this later
4. install helm
5. find some recent helm charts and get prometheus and grafana installed on your cluster and browse to your node's IP address and try using them
6. come join us in the devops thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695559

I recommend prometheus and grafana because they're sort of the "hello world" of helm charts and also get you started on the right foot with having visibility into monitoring your cluster/performance

more edit: https://medium.com/globant/setup-prometheus-and-grafana-monitoring-on-kubernetes-cluster-using-helm-3484efd85891

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 27, 2023

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Hadlock posted:

for a group of raspberry pi I would use k3s. it has an installation script

https://github.com/k3s-io/k3s

k3s is a magic self extracting archive that has swiss army knife functionality similar to like busybox. k3s is kubernetes, but it's a total rewrite for exactly the kind of home lab stuff you're doing that simplifies initial setup and will get you running in under half an hour

resources for running k3s:
1. install ubuntu 22.04 on your raspberry pi (3 or more ideally, one will be the master/controller, the other two act as HA nodes) then
2. run the script in the github url above and get the three nodes talking to eachother.
3. save off your kube.config file to a safe place and make sure you can access the cluster, you'll need this later
4. install helm
5. find some recent helm charts and get prometheus and grafana installed on your cluster and browse to your node's IP address and try using them
6. come join us in the devops thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695559

I recommend prometheus and grafana because they're sort of the "hello world" of helm charts and also get you started on the right foot with having visibility into monitoring your cluster/performance

more edit: https://medium.com/globant/setup-prometheus-and-grafana-monitoring-on-kubernetes-cluster-using-helm-3484efd85891

fantastic! thanks!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Deptfordx posted:

Hi people. Originally posted this in an other thread. It was suggested I repost it here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey people, some goon advice needed.

So I'm self-employed, little business involving deliveries and distribution.

But it's kinda gradually drying up, I'm looking for something more steady and predictable.

So the UK is operating a free Skills Bootcamp to fill in holes in the job market. Generally seem to be a part-time 3 month course, with a qualifaction, guaranteed interview etc.

Here's the problem. Looking at the Digital list, I have immediate decision paralysis. There's a lot of courses and I've no real idea what's likely to be a good one to go for in 2023, especially for someone who's 51. Note that I don't think that it's I couldn't do any of them in particular, I meant employers will be automatically looking for fresh 20 somethings in some of those roles so probably going to be very hard to get into.

If any of you can glance over the Digital list and make any useful suggestion I would be super-grateful. The only courses I'm actively 'Ehhhhh I'm not sure that's for me' about is the Digital Marketing, which don't sound like my cup of tea. Everything else I'd love to hear an opinion on.

Thanks.

drat maybe I need to move to the UK if there are actually 'job holes' for junior devs! I would love to answer your question, and to me the cloud engineering sounds pretty promising, but I don't know enough about the job market there to give you useful advice.

Anyways hello everyone, perhaps I'll become a fixture here. I've been coding casually since I was a preteen, I'm now 35 and recently decided to aim for software development as a career, particularly web development after years of working in the education and nonprofit sectors. I've just completed a web dev bootcamp (actually still in it for the next two hours) where I learned js, python, react/redux and some backend frameworks, although I'm fully aware that all of those skills need tons of polish.

There's a post-bootcamp process, with guidelines and mandatory requirements where we will be polishing our portfolio projects, working on github/linkedin/resume improvement, networking and (probably most importantly) studying data structures and algorithms in preparation for technical interviews. I'm hoping some contacts I have can get me an opportunity but it's not something I can count on. I guess my question is (and let me apologize for asking something that has probably been asked hundreds of times before), apart from the things I mentioned what would you recommend I learn on top of that? Is there something that hiring managers and recruiters really want to see from a prospective junior dev with only IT-related work experience? I've heard a couple different things, including reservation features on one of my projects, and implementation of the openAI API in one or more of my projects. I was also thinking of learning TypeScript, since some people I know in the industry work with it a lot.

Any other ideas for languages or frameworks or whatever I should try and implement and/or what do you think of the plan I have now?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Typescript. SQL. Unix command line. HTML/CSS. But most important is just deepening your knowledge of what you’ve already learned. Look up “advanced xxx” for anything you’ve mentioned and go nuts. Separately, don’t be afraid to follow the whatever strikes your fancy, and if that means you spending time learning about fonts and real and fake bold, go for it. Interviewers like to hear about stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Is there a recommended free course/tutorial for learning basic SQL? A job I'm interested in I meet every requirement except they want beginner/novice SQL skills. I've poked around at it before because one of the tools I used at a previous job was basically just a fancy GUI for stringing SQL code together, but I want to make sure I actually know what the hell I'm doing.