Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

From what I can tell, you'd have to actually be a programmer first to get experience in the industry, and then branch out into that afterwards? It's not something they really teach you in school (though, I took a security class, so I know the very basics about security).

The really cool, nitty gritty stuff, that's more along the lines of grad-level research at universities. The security firms I've heard of generally do stuff like auditing (fairly automated) or creating honeypot software (at which point you're mostly being a programmer).

When I want to gently caress around with my CS degree in a security-type context, I actually just go play lovely web games with goons. Every once in a while I'll find a game that's poorly written and I'll mess around with that. I know some application-level security, enough to not leave major security holes in my code, and to notice when other people do, but I think you'd really be wanting at least a Master's and probably a Doctorate if you wanted to do something truly innovative and exciting, and then it'd be mostly R&D work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Data structures and basic algorithms.

List manipulations, arrays of numbers. What kind of dev job is it?

C++ stuff, or will you be picking up another language for it? If it's C++, maybe stuff about memory allocation. Review some string manipulation (palindromes, substrings, reversing, etc). Brush up on trees and basic search algorithms and their best/worst case complexities (do this for lists too).

Maybe brush up on the 7-layer model, if you think you might do some of that stuff.

protip: don't forget the weird uses of your basic operators for stuff like this:

You have 99 distinct numbers from 1-100, how do you find the missing number?
You have an even number of most numbers, and an odd number of one number. How do you find the one that appears an odd number of times?

If possible, try to remember whatever stuff in the standard lib you use most often, and anything from the libs your profs from school might have mentioned to you.

It looks like you're still a student, or were one last semester or something, so they should mostly be asking you basic questions about algorithms and how to do things, but they might ask you a design question like "how would you design a deck of cards" or "how would you design a parking lot".

I was interviewing for jobs a month ago (then I got one yay), so I was brushing up on interview stuff quite recently, and that's what I remember as being important. Hope it helps!