Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Woohoo! I've got a followup interview monday for my first dev job. I want to review before, any pointers on what to study, or have a good link for entry-level dev interview tips? I'm primarily versed in C++ if that helps. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Colbear posted:

Thank you very much! It's a web developer position, and I'll be picking up .NET stuff on the job. They didn't seem to mind on the phone interview that I've never used it before.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Standish posted:

have answers ready for all the usual bullshit questions that they love in HR, like "what is your greatest weakness" or or "where do you see yourself in 5 years time" or "tell me about a time you worked as part of a team" or "tell me about a problem you had in work and how you solved it" or "how would you resolve an interpersonal problem with another team member?".

Also think of some good questions for you to ask them -- personal development & training, career progression, that sort of thing.

This is good advice. The interview is going to be roundtable style with the other developers. The company itself is only 9 people -- is there anything in particular I should prepare for with such a small company?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah echoing the "don't wear a suit." tie optional as appropriate however

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

ancient lobster posted:

Thanks, I did that. If I come off as a jerk to the dude, well, every interview is experience..

If you do that and the guy still thinks you're a jerk you probably don't want to work for him anyway.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Can someone start a thread called "Newbie Programming Jobs Megathread: How do I ask for a raise?"

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Standish posted:

You don't ask for a raise, you ask for a "performance review".

Thanks. We don't generally do "performance reviews." This is my first real programming job. I'm fresh out of school, and learning so fast in the real world I wonder why I even went to college in the first place. I work at a small (12 people) software company that makes business calendar software. Our revenue is solid and expected to increase dramatically in the next few years.

I understand I'm "entry-level" but my starting wage is way low. Right now I'm doing C#.NET development, implementing new features and fixing bugs, things like that.
I'd like to stay with this company as it's a great learning experience and I love the people. I don't want to be disloyal but I can't make promises to stay when other dev shops actually pay developer wages.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Sab669 posted:

So, earlier this week I posted about having a phone interview for an internship. Just got that call. It went alright.

-Asked me how databases work (ie. A database is made of tables, is made of columns, which has rows of data in it, thought that was a strange question)
-Difference from an object and a class
-How much I knew about HTTP. I thought this was a pretty vague question and didn't know how to answer it with anything other than what it stands for.

They want me full time for three months- unpaid though. A friend of mine (lives in a different state) said it's not legal for companies to have you full time and unpaid as a student, unless it's for credit hours with the college. Either way, I'm gunna talk to my student advisor to see if I could work that out, and then my parents to see if they might be able to help me out for three months.

Scheduled a follow-up interview this coming Wednesday, they said it's a "small office, don't need to dress up" but I've heard people saying that that can be a trap. I figure I'll just wear some nice work pants / button up shirt. No tie or coat or anything too fancy. Meet 'em half way?

I'm really not sure how I feel about all this :(

I dunno man, if you're even half-competent you should be able to swing $15-$20/hr. I'd keep looking.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

ShinAli posted:

Just graduated a while back (something cum laude or other). Recently a job came up that I was excited for in a nearby non-profit. I've sent an application two weeks ago and didn't hear anything from them. Should I just call up their HR department and see if I am still being considered?

It wouldn't hurt, and you should keep applying to other places too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Cicero posted:

If they have you "write out the code by hand," wouldn't you just type it up in a text editor?

Intellisense baby. /s

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

~cross-posting from the IT careers thread~

Can someone tell me about tech recruiters? I'm being messaged on LinkedIn with opportunities for .Net development. I have a nice job right now, which I like except the pay is about 1/2 market rate. I'm curious about what my options are but wary about talking to recruiters because I only hear horrible things about them.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Oisin posted:

How long should I stay at my current programming job so it doesn't raise a red flag on my resume? 6 months? A year?

I've heard 18 months if it's your first dev job.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

How much should I ask for for "entry-level" contract dev work? Building a web app in Rails for a local company. Interviewed yesterday, went great and they just want me to follow up with my hourly rate. I have a little over a year of professional experience in .NET and Rails. Small city btw with low cost of living, so adjust accordingly. I make $15/hr at my current job but obviously that's way too low.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Shrughes, are you on Github? I'd love to browse your commits, if you don't mind.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Just call them. You have nothing to lose by calling. And it will show your enthusiasm.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It sure is a swell time to develop software!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I'm not really seeing how he "dodged a bullet." aBagorn, practical knowledge of best practices wrt OO design will only come with experience. That is, building actual products used in the real world by actual users, dealing with requirement changes, testing environments etc.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Safe and Secure! posted:

Alrighty. I've been reusing chunks of very similar setup code in each test, with the actual testing being quite small, on the order of three or four lines. I guess that makes my tests lovely and non-maintainable in addition to being too long, so I'll refactor them somehow. Thanks, everyone.

write some before callbacks and put the chunks in there, pretty much every testing suite comes with this.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Yea, I've just always kind of imagined unless you have a 4.0 they won't even consider you. My GPA is an abysmal 2.7 or something like that because I gently caress off and don't put the effort into school outside of the classroom :(

After your first job nobody cares what your GPA was, only the cool things you've built. Of course, you can always omit a GPA on your resume. It's not super important.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

baquerd posted:

I would note the game of life problem is a great opportunity to show dynamic programming skills.

go on...

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

This is what I did. I made a class.

Hey man if you want reference material for Project Euler I have a git repository with a few solutions,
https://github.com/ebcomalex/project-euler

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Passive voice would be like, "#{project} was built by me independently."

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

unixbeard posted:

Those lines in contracts are jokes and you should draw a big fat line through them before signing.

Yep, our startup got some series B funding and they tried to make the employees sign contracts with these lines in them and all the developers (and support staff) refused to sign it until they put in wording that exempted projects we did on our own time.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Safe and Secure! posted:

Currently doing a non-development internship for $10/hr at a place 60-80 minutes from my home at 20 hrs/wk. I estimate that I spend an extra $40/wk due to the extra driving. I do QA work here, though it's with a scrum team that seems to have its act together. In January I'll have a different class schedule and only be able to work here 16 hours per week.

My friend just told me that he's looking for a replacement for the position he has, since they only give him 5-20 hrs/wk, though it's usually much closer to 5. They pay $25/hr (though I'm like 99% sure it's contract work) and it's actually development work rather than QA. It's a work-from-home job, so no implication of teamwork or social skills for my resume.

Normally, I would just take it and work both jobs, but I naively signed a work-for-hire/assignment contract with my current employer.

Anyway, is there any tactful way I can ask my boss about the possibility of getting permission, from whomever is has that authority, to pursue work on the side here?

If not, then would it look bad on my resume to quit an internship after three months to go for another part-time job? Would it look better on my resume just because I could sell it as "real" work (meaning not an internship) and because it would be actual development work? I'm thinking, next semester I'll suddenly be getting $160/wk here and be spending ~$30/wk, so next semester I'll be getting $130/wk before taxes for 16 hours of work, plus I share a vehicle with someone else, so even if I only work 8 hours in a day, my entire day is consumed because I wake up around 6am to get ready and get home around 8-9pm.

If I can get this other job, then next semester I'd be getting $125/wk before taxes, without the crazy driving, and I could direct the extra time toward working on my own projects so that I can get a decent job at some point. Most importantly, it would be another bullet on my resume, which only says that I did some research assistant work for a professor for six months and this internship for three months.

$10 / hr is stupid low. That's like poverty wages for a programmer. I would honestly just drop the other job and pursue more lucrative opportunities, including building your own software. Don't worry about the length of the internship, just make sure you can get a letter of recommendation from one of your supervisors.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

seiken posted:

Hey, I work at Google, and I know for a fact recruiters definitely do find people by looking on github so this is probably real enough.

I was recruited for Facebook the other week from Github.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Ithaqua posted:

You shouldn't comment out code for posterity. That's exactly what source control is for. If it's dead code, remove it.

This is normally the case but it sounds like they *have* to comment out unused code because they aren't actually using version control.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Pweller posted:

The whole dev industry is pretty messed up in terms of an employee's career development and experience. Once you've got your foot in the door, a junior developer could be someone with <2 years of on the job experience. Regular developer maybe someone with > 6 months experience, senior developer could be someone with > 2 years experience. That is hosed up. Smooth operators can get much, much further than they should and faster. This can be a good or bad thing for you and me depending how you look at it.

If you go into an interview and are confident with the tech they use, and are someone people would want to be around for long periods of time, you should be able to land a job you'll be happy in after a given number of attempts. I'd argue that job titles in this field are a very poor indicator of anything. If an opening says they want a "Senior Developer", it just means they want the type of person that can reliably field questions with authority from 'junior developers'. You can get there by focusing deliberately on something over only a month or two in many cases (edit: presuming you have experience in the 'business' and design of software development already).

Yep. I gave myself the title "Director of Engineering" at my current shop because I'm the only programmer. I only have ~2 years of experience but who cares!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Mystery Machine posted:

So, I've been having a lot of fun designing a website for someone. I've been using jQuery, which I just taught myself, to do it, and I've made it so that, using some simple scripts, she only needs to upload pictures correctly to her hosting, and the script does everything else for her (details aren't too important).

Anyway, I've found this kind of programming pretty fun. I'm still a student, but I was wondering, what kinds of jobs are out there that involve web scripting? I have a friend who told me it was a pretty dumb idea to want to get into stuff like this. Is that true? I'd love to keep learning more of this stuff, but I want to make sure I'm not learning a skill that could be easily exported out of country, or something.

I'm not going to address whether or not `getting into web development is a good idea or not`, it's one of the fastest growing, most in-demand and highest-paying job markets right now so I'll let that speak for itself. I am going to give you a brief road map to learning `web scripting`.

Front end development IS fun! Get comfortable with Javascript, CSS, and HTML. Then learn what DOM stands for, make websites for people, read the jQuery documentation over, and over again. Then move up to Sass, and pick a javascript app framework to build web programs on. I like Angular and Backbone. If you want to save data beyond local storage you're going to need a server-side database, so you could start with Parse, which is like a server helper for Backbone.js, or be a total boss and write your own RESTful api in Ruby or Python or PHP or something else, connected to a MySQL or PostgresQL database, hosted on Heroku, Amazon Web Services, or whatever else is convenient for you. Cheers!