Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007
Is this a good place to post CVs for critiques?

I have an interview for an internship with netcraft at the end of May and all the stuff they seem to do programming-wise I really don't have much experience with, reckon that will be much of a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

tef posted:

I'm pretty sure I've learned more about programming by osmosis from hanging around CoC than I ever did in university lectures.

definitely applies to me (if you include yospos too).

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007
Just had a phone screening interview with a fairly small development firm (about 200 employees). Their entire area is technical - making apps + websites - so they should have a decent number of developers etc, but the person who was screening me was completely non-technical.

I've not graduated yet, but I've got about 9/10 months of industrial experience, but the interviewer was clearly reading from a script and when I said that my industrial experience was almost entirely C (with a little bit of Perl) they didn't know what either of those language even were. They then asked what testing frameworks I'd used at the company and I said Check and Test::More, which they didn't really seem to *understand* as testing frameworks (presumably because they only knew about common Java testing frameworks).

Is it wrong to feel sort of turned off/insulted by this?

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

Not being a C or Perl guy, I don't know either of those testing frameworks either. I assure you that I am quite technical though, so hopefully you're not falsely limiting your definition of "technical" with just what you know. Plus, if it's an app/website company they're not likely to be using C all that much anyway (Perl is more likely but still not highly likely), so it wouldn't surprise me that they are unfamiliar with them. But if they literally had never heard of C or Perl then that would definitely be off-putting. Especially not knowing/having heard of C. I mean, come on.

e: oh yeah, for some reason I thought this was stated to be a technical interview - non-technical screens first are totally common and not unexpected at all

I've had lots of similar interviews previously and this is the first with this sort of screening so it was just really shocking for me.

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

With the graduation season approaching (haha no, it's basically here) I've given up on the job boards and set my resume public for any recruiter who wants to call me.

But my last job was at a company that made all their own service tech IT WAS AMAZON, DON'T WORK FOR AMAZON and I swear at least half the screens go like this:

:butt: "I see you developed Java services for company XYZ for three years. Were you using Spring/REST/SOAP?"
:v: "No, you see--"
:butt: ~AIRHORN~

Kill me.

I've had this with "have you had any experience with JUnit" etc, when the answer has been "no, I've never had to use a JVM-based language in industry, but...." and then been completely cut-off, moving to the next question

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

E: I'm learning that some recruiters can be very unprofessional

I had a recruiter apply me for a position which was entirely C# based, which I discovered when investigating the company. I raised this with the recruiter and they told me that it would be fine.

I went to the company and apparently the recruiter had told them I knew C# and before I realized anything they basically left me alone in a room with a laptop, visual studio and a short brief. I had to call them back in five minutes later and explain I didn't know C# at all, never used Visual Studio, and basically had written out on paper what my design plan would be.

They told me I had wasted their time and made me feel like poo poo really.

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007
I had an awesome, incredibly incredibly interesting interview last week with company X (and got an offer today)

About an hour and a half of "lets make a garbage collector", starting off as a simple reference counter, going to a mark and sweep collector, then a generational mark & sweep collector.

Sketching out top level design, the PODs, data-structures, algorithms we might use and pseudo code.

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

Cryolite posted:

I'm just curious, what kind of work would you be doing where they asked you that?

High performance computing. The company makes complete stacks for other companies (and will go down to designing FPGAs etc if the client needs that level of performance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007
The current lot of freshers (and the year before) at my uni (imperial college) are taught git from the beginning of their degree.