Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
One of the top front-end developers we have was 19 when he got hired and started his CS degree like a year after we hired him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

leper khan posted:

You're under compensated by probably an order of magnitude or so. Here's what I get from feeling lucky on "levels.fyi director of product"

https://www.levels.fyi/company/LinkedIn/salaries/Product-Manager/

Even just product manager you're estimated value is off by a factor of 2 or so. Sure, you can complain about feeling like you're losing your soul or selling out. But I can put a dollar figure on that for you.

I wasn't as dissatisfied in my current role until I took a look at this site a couple of months ago and saw people with my same job title are making 50-100% more than I currently am.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Lockback posted:

Note levels.fyi leans heavy toward large companies, places where being a manager there might equate to a director somewhere else. Basically you may be in a situation where your getting title inflation in comparison with a silicon valley giant. The salaries are high because it's hard for them to find the right talent because they are looking for far more specific things.

I say this as someone who will probably need to take a title downgrade to make a compensation step up at some point.

For sure. After seeing the levels.fyi info though did inspire to ask former employees what they were making with my same job title, and they were all being paid significantly more. I'm still making the same salary as I did when I first got hired except for a couple COL increases. During the start of the pandemic they had announced a hiring and wage increase freeze so I thought I'd get my proper compensation after that was lifted, but no dice. Been in constant communication with my supervisors about getting proper compensation and they've all spoken to HR about it but constantly get stone walled (we've had 3 different HR directors in the past year).

Anyway, started actually researching bootcamp and things last night so hopefully can secure my spot in one starting in July.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Not sure what your life situation is, i.e. if you have dependents or a mortgage. I've taken a paycut before to leave a toxic environment, albeit it was only $6k less (going from $68k to $62k), but it was definitely the best decision I made for my career and sanity. I'm also in CA for I feel your pain on COL, especially with the inflation in the state making things even more expensive than they were before.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

The worst interview I ever had was one where I was sure within 10 minutes I wasn't getting the job and this dude proceeded to interview me for another 90 minutes.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

At my last job it took them about a month to send me the offer letter from telling me they were going to hire me. At my current job they sent me the offer letter the same day they gave me the verbal offer.

Just depends on how busy they are and who has to take care of all the processing.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Not sure where you're trying to find a job but weed is such a huge industry that there are plenty of weed businesses that need developers. I did an interview with Seth Rogen's weed company when I was applying for new roles.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Justa Dandelion posted:

Hey all, I posted here a while ago asking for advice on breaking into software development as a bartender with self-taught coding skills and community college coding certificate. Because of the nature of my recent food and beverage work (currently a beverage director responsible for a department of 89 employees, using product and menu development choices to raise P&L to a very significant degree) I was told not to pursue work as an engineer. I think it was both because I don't have the skills to be a junior dev, and also someone voiced the concern that having a "product manager" title (even if it was in a different industry) and a current department head level role that I would be skipped over as "over-qualified" (I'm definitely not overqualified). The advice was to pursue a product manager role. I've finally shaped up my resume, I'll be working on my LinkedIn next. Looking for internship level roles as I'm technically still enrolled in the local community college and could pretty easily turn the certificate program into pursuing a second bachelors degree in computer science or project management.

Would any of you be kind enough to look at my resume and tell me all the many ways in which I am not good enough?

I think the first thing to do is take your experience parts out of paragraph mode and make them into bullets.

I've been a product manager for a few years now and can do a bigger write up later about what we're looking for and the specific skills you should highlight.

Key skill being team communication and cross team communication.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Justa Dandelion posted:

Heard and good call. Thank you! Any insight as to the life of a product manager? Is it grueling and high stress?

Probably depends where you work but in my experience it's been a chill job. A lot of meetings but it's mostly coming up with ideas and writing coherent tickets and going over them with your development team.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

kneelbeforezog posted:

What are some things I can challenge myself with to tell myself I am a programmer and not just someone who sometimes writes and mostly copies code ? I don't use algorithims but I feel like that, and not really getting a lot of programming concepts means I am not a programmer yet. I have been in the field professionally for less than one year still, but I mostly come from an RPA/power apps background.

Honestly I think that comes from business needs. I work as a Product Manager so I will present a new feature to the devs and they'll brainstorm and try to find a way to make the requests happen. So maybe try to figure out something that doesn't exist yet and try to make it exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

My company is currently doing a lot of projects with CICD, GitLab Runners and Containers. I'm not sure what that all means but could be good skills to learn when you get to them.