Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ancient lobster
Mar 5, 2008
CS major here, graduating next December. The op was a good read, and the other advice so far is also helpful--especially as I get ready for a busy year.

I'm doing OK in most of the areas mentioned, but I need/want to be more involved in personal projects. I've been learning to code in C++ and Java--and I've been learning about things like algorithm efficiency and, yes, linked lists--but I still don't feel like I have a good grasp on how these languages are actually used.

I've read that C++ can be used/has been used to program operating systems. Obviously, I'm not going to write an OS. So how can I find out how to bridge the gap, to find ways to apply what I know toward reasonable/interesting projects? For example, I taught myself HTML in high school just by making a bunch of web pages. That was pretty straightforward because I knew that HTML was for making web pages.

Or if C++ and Java aren't practical for smaller projects, would it be better to look into other languages like Python?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ancient lobster
Mar 5, 2008
I just interviewed with a tech startup and am guessing that I should send a thank you email.

The main guy who interviewed me seemed to have his bullshit detector turned way up and didn't seem to have much patience for canned or unnecessary selling from a candidate.

I am appreciative for having the chance to go in and learn about the company and professional environment, the interview generally went well, and I'm interested in the position, but how can I communicate this without being sycophantic? Or should I try to do this at all?

ancient lobster
Mar 5, 2008

subx posted:

Say basically what you just said really. If you are actually interested and think you have the skills for the job, that's what you say (obviously elaborate a bit).

And yes you should, showing interest and sending a followup is never a bad thing to do.

Thanks, I did that. If I come off as a jerk to the dude, well, every interview is experience..

ancient lobster
Mar 5, 2008

Good Will Punting posted:

My Advanced Algorithm Design and Implementation syllabus seems to cover literally everything I've seen asked in interviews (I just got it recently). The text we're using is Intro to Algorithms. Seems like this class is going to be tremendously useful. I start next week, pretty excited.

Intro to Algorithms by who?

ancient lobster
Mar 5, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there any other?

Well, yes--like the one I got stuck with--so it was worth asking. Thanks.

ancient lobster
Mar 5, 2008
What's a reasonable amount of time to ask for in order to consider an offer?

Alternately, how do you juggle multiple interview processes taking place in roughly the same timeframe?

(FYI, in NYC, where things seem to be moving pretty quickly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ancient lobster
Mar 5, 2008
Accepted an offer today. Things seem to be coming up roses around here.