Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

2banks1swap.avi, are you Flux_core? Because you act almost exactly like him.

For real though, I'd like to hear some stories about how some of the people in here got involved with their professors and research while they spent time as an undergrad. I'm at the point where I've got a handle on my classes and I'm thinking about this sort of thing. I'm interested to see how other people went about getting research and some of the things some of you all have done, maybe how research directly affected job prospects too.

You know, so that I can get a job when I graduate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

barkbell posted:

I think I'll do the interview just for some interview practice but tell the recruiter I'm not interested afterwards.

I'd really like to get a job doing more typescript because for some reason I enjoy functional stuff. Currently doing Java back end, TS front end web apps right now. Most of the city is .net with react for that kind of work. I pretty much only know about LinkedIn and searching for remote node.js jobs. Are there any good places to look for remote work?

Remote work (and remote work during COVID) is a filter on Indeed but otherwise I think it's a crapshoot, so if anybody knows better I would also be interested.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

There are two uses of the term IT, one broad and one narrow. In the broad sense, everyone who's involved in making software run is in IT. In the narrow sense, it refers to people who keep the computers working. There are probably usages in between, but those are less common.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, I generally thought of IT in the narrow sense until I started working in an international environment with people outside of North America. In that environment I've seen the broader sense much more often. I've also started to see it (or at least start to recognize it when it appears) more frequently in the US since.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

barkbell posted:

That's the plan. Looking at Denver, Twin Cities, and others for next spring. If anyone has advice for making a move like that let me know.

So this morning the lead dev just took a position elsewhere and told me I'm his replacement. Feeling real imposter right now.

You’re going to kick rear end barkbell!!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

gently caress that.