Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I've been thinking of a career change from copywriting for a long time for Reasons. This solidified during a new tool training that is glorified square space (Maker) and I realized I don't want to slide boxes around to serve customers cake. I want to bake the cake really badly.

I think I'd like CS/Programming because I like/have:
Working on one thing for a long time until it works.
Optimizing to perfection (or a deadline)
I like chatting with my dev coworkers about the problems they're solving like solving how to optimize the search function in a big eCommerce company with 100ks of skus.
I'm great at thinking AND implementing
Good at trying everything when thinking doesn't work
I learn fast, then deeply
Staying cirrent is easy

Money/family is primary motivation. No kids yet. Second is I desperately want to bake the cake for a job. Sales, operations and customer service background seem like excellent soft skills.

Assuming finances aren't a problem, is a CS/Software Engineering degree the best option to career change? Assuming my job would be ok with it, I've got a BA and I THINK I could go to school full or part time while working. I'd have about 40 hours to contribute to school outside of class. I'm talking to an advisor today, but I figured I'd post to think out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

EDIT: Doesn't matter.

Gonna go make a color palette tool to solve a problem I haven't seen yet. If I like that I'll keep truckin'

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 21, 2021

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I'll add that you can't really get back time with a newborn. They change so fast.

Good luck!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I have an interview for a developer apprenticeship. A software development company provides a paid, 5 month education supposedly turning out full stack devs. Other companies sponsor a student, then hire them as devs afterwards. My sponsor would be the software company running the education. All things considered, it's a pretty sweet deal if I can get it compared to everything else out there. The 4 hour interview/introduction provides more details, including a curriculum overview. I asked for curriculum ahead of time, but they're keeping it to the session, which brings me here. I get access to instructors and alumni for questions. Since I don't have the curriculum yet, I'm not sure what to ask. If I'm chosen, I'll address the practical stuff like pay, contracts, etc. Are these good questions? Any I should add?

1) Were you able to put your education to practical use deploying software, using AWS or Azure tools, server fleet management, etc.? Or at least teach yourself how to do these?
2) Were given skills to identify blind spots and understand where you needed to grow to continue to be an asset to your company?
3) Did you learn enough to make your own complete projects?
4) What could you have done ahead of time to better prepare you for the 5 months of education?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Interview Recap:

Jimbolaya in the newbie discord helped me with preparing questions: decision making / project-based, adversity / growth / learning from adversity, motivation / aka "why us, why tech, etc. Unfortunately, interview brain blanked and didn't provide the specific examples I had prepared. I'm pissed, cause they were really good. Now I know I need to rehearse my script ahead of time. Everything else was fine and the puzzle section was pretty easy. They provided grids with green, red, and unknown spaces. They asked for little "scripts" with commands like repeat, right, left, forward (or forward x) and if ?2unknown = green. I feel pretty good about it, given I wrote down the examples in the application. We'll see. If I don't get it, I'll be bummed but I learned an incredibly valuable lesson that I need to rehearse a script and use it for interviews. I also heard from current devs and alumni, the program sounds really sweet. I'll continue with Plan A of prepping for a bootcamp in quarter 4 if this one doesn't work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Love hearing a feel good story. Congratulations!