Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Contra Duck posted:

Speaking of being on the other side of the interview, is there a thread around here about tips/techniques when interviewing developers? I've got to do some of that pretty soon and I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on what works and what doesn't.

First thing to remember is they'll be even more nervous than you are. You have to be able to figure out if the cat's got their tongue or if they're thick as a brick. :v:

If you're in any way competent at programming yourself, you'll be able to spot the fizz-failures pretty much straight away. If they can do FizzBuzz (or something related, my personal favorite is to get them to write a program to output 1-100 in a 10x10 grid*), then they can probably pick up anything else you need - obviously with a longer lead-in time if they have to learn the language as well as the codebase). After that it comes down to attitude:
- Are they a giant cockhead? (You don't want to hire a *nix-for-life neckbeard if you're a C#/.NET shop. Also covers whitespace/indentation :spergin:, if their style doesn't mesh with yours that can be a world of ongoing pain.)
- Are they socially-adapted enough for the job? (If you keep your developers safely locked in the basement, then there's less requirement for social ability than there is in a fully customer-involved agile team.)
- Will they fit with your dev team's culture/style, and the wider company? (I've seen groups that wouldn't be out of place in a library, and different groups that sounded like a wharf on a busy day. Nuns and whorehouses etc.)

*i.e.
code:
 1   ...   10

91  ...  100 
If they do something like write("1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10") x10, that's probably not a good sign. If they're good/experienced, they'll ask whether it should be static or capable of coping with different grid sizes before they start writing anything.

Thel fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

2banks1swap.avi posted:

How does the interviewee drop that they're more of the wharf-dwelling sort without scaring off groups who want more clean-cut personalities, without blowing their chances at getting valuable experience for a few years in a place which would much prefer the quiet sort? I've worked in places ranging from shipyards to libraries, so neither would be out of place for me.

You can be delicate about it, just say you have a varied work history and feel you can fit in anywhere from a library to a factory (I actually had both of these on my CV for a while). Generally, unless they drop casual f-bombs, you want to keep it professional, sort of follow their lead.

As far as interviews go, if you're chasing the job then the interviews are generally going to be pretty similar (the kabuki dance as you put it). If you get headhunted for a job, then there's going to be less-to-no dancing around whether you can do the job, the short form will be "We've got a job doing <x> open, interested? Cool, when can you start?".

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Lurchington posted:

My company's dress code is 'clean clothes; no sweatpants'

That said everyone we've interviewed in the last year wore a suit, so I'm usually of the opinion that unless you just don't own a suit that fits you right, it's probably the best first impression you can go with.

I would wear a Hawaiian shirt and shorts every day at your company.

On a not-unrelated note I don't have a suit, never have. I guess my next best bet is black pants/light dress shirt/tie and a decent jacket?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Ithaqua posted:

I hope you're being sarcastic, because that's bullshit and it's a bullshit attitude.

Bullshit attitudes are unfortunately rather common in the industry.

It really is a bullshit attitude, but there's a grain of truth in that most certs say nothing about your ability to program. As neckbeards often do, though, they've taken "X is not useful for me" and mentally translated it to "X is a complete and total waste of time and a blight upon CVs of those that don't know better", then they :goonrush: anyone that disagrees.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Ithaqua posted:

We've disagreed in the past, but this is a statement that I wholeheartedly agree with! Intro CS isn't that tough. It gets thorny in the 300/400 level classes, though! I'll never forgive my compilers and interpreters class for dragging my GPA down. The professor was awesome and died recently, though, so I forgive him.

For me that was the theory of computing class. The prof had the ability to make things make perfect logical sense and seem really easy - then when you go to review the notes it was like "WTF? This makes no sense at all". Scraped by that one with a C-.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Holy John posted:

Yes, I did take the APCS test, and I actually found out about Project Euler from reading CoC a while ago and have been doing that for about a month.

I'll definitely go to all of the job fairs and work on a resume. I really want to have some practical experience first, but I'm not quite sure how to get myself involved. I've heard that for research I need to show genuine interest and show up to office hours to let the professors know that I want to help. However, I have no idea where to start when it comes to open source projects.

My school has IEEE and ACM chapters, but I'm not sure how active they are. I'll look into them. Thank you for the advice.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I've also been preparing with MIT Open Courseware, specifically this class. This hasn't been too challenging for me, so I'm not worried about my classes, I'm mostly concerned with getting practical experience and being prepared for internships and research.

I wouldn't even worry about technical/practical experience, that's what internships are *for*. As far as getting an internship, you need to do three things:
- Know people that know useful people.
- Shave, shower, brush your teeth and wear decent clothes.
- Be able to talk to people and present yourself well. You don't have to know everything, just be prepared to learn and have a certain baseline level of knowledge.

(Good grades will also help, but knowing people and being able to get along with them will go further than good grades.)

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Allowing that I'm doing due diligence in research and plan on asking a lot of polite questions about future revenues in the interview, has anyone been in this situation before? I know it's just business, but my gut is telling me to slam on the brakes hard, and I don't know if it's justified. Thanks.

As Ithaqua said, loyalty doesn't have a dollar value to the modern employer and intangibles only count when sports fans are discussing trades. :colbert:

That said, if you've got cold feet specifically about the job offer, trust your instincts. If he's giving you the hard sell, you have to figure out why - is he just a pushy personality, is he on a financial motive to become a part-time recruiter (or just under pressure from management), or can he see the writing on the wall and is desperately searching for the magic bullet (that's you, by the way) to fix everything?

TLDR: Don't worry about your current job, as long as the offer's better. But make drat sure the offer's better before you burn your bridges.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Aight, if I can sidestep the :spergin: for a second - if I got asked in an interview for the key differences between quicksort and mergesort are they looking for "quicksort has better average performance but far worse worst-case performance, mergesort's performance is more even but requires double the space"? Or are they looking for more detail (i.e. picking pivots for quicksort, how an architecture with an expensive copy makes mergesort awful etc.)?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

This seems like a toxic subject, and I highly doubt there are unified trends for recruiting practices even just across the US.

Just got off a second-hurdle call and where I had to live-write my own String#to_i, which was a new one on me.

I don't think I did very well, because for a while I thought the interviewer didn't want me to use recursion, so I just stared at the screen wracking my brain for what felt like too long, silently asking myself "What the hell else can I do?!" :saddowns:

I feel like the trend away from in-person interviews may not be to my advantage.

I was told (as an in-passing comment from a lecturer) that if you can implement an algorithm recursively, you should be able to do it iteratively too (obviously this is assuming an imperative language, not a functional one). That said, I'm sure there are things that can only be done recursively, but none come to mind.

e:

kitten smoothie posted:

One such person told me they knew C, "but I totally do not get pointers, I don't use them at all." :ughh:

On one hand, someone who can admit what they don't know is good. On the other hand "knows C" + "doesn't get pointers" = :psyboom:

Thel fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 4, 2012

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Pweller posted:

What are people's impressions of the title 'Programmer Analyst' vs 'Software Developer'?

Do you think hiring impressions would be different for applicants with one or the other title in their last role?

IT job titles are manufactured bullshit. Assuming your resume passes the basic tests (written clearly, structured neatly, and not over two pages), anyone worth working for is going to look for what you've done, not what you were tagged. I've seen a guy with "IT Support" as his job title that rolled out a completely new hardware setup across 40 locations, and (same guy) migrated their domain from 2000->2008r2 while virtualizing all their servers (and splitting them by role) and did all the prep work for taking exchange from 2000 to 2010. Oh and he also completely redesigned the AD structure so it didn't suck.

In short: don't trust the job title.

The exchange migration went tits-up after he left, but hey, can't win 'em all right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

As Mniot says, you need your coworkers to pull their weight in including you. The other problems you'll likely run into are:
- Cabin fever (i.e. spending too much time at home) - make sure you have an out-of-the-house activity scheduled at least twice a week, preferably every couple of days if you can manage it.
- Not being able to get into your work, or alternatively not being able to let it go. If you've got space, I'd recommend setting up a 'work desk'. You sit there, you do your work, then when you've done your 8, stand up and forget about work.