Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
When applying a huge companies like Microsoft who have tons of positions listed, is it bad to apply to multiple positions?

CPColin posted:

I guess that's the silver lining with wearing a collared shirt and slacks every day at this job; all I'll really need to swap out are my shoes. When I was still at my last job, everybody was way more casual, so I had to do a quick-change while hurrying to an interview, at one point.

piratepilates posted:

If you ever want to wear a suit at work you have to start that pattern early. Wear a suit once a week so you'll be known as that suit guy, otherwise you have no chance.

At one of my old jobs it was jeans and t-shirt type dresscode. A couple months before I thought I would start looking for other jobs I gradually started dressing nicer and nicer to make it less noticeable. I still ended up having people joking about "going to interviews huh?", so I guess it didn't work that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Live coding is valuable. Full on algo-hazing big tech live coding is often overkill(especially for the average dev job), but live coding in general is a reasonable way of judging both coding and communication skills. For live coding I usually prefer more debugging focused problems or ones that mimic a real task(add this feature to this thing) over algo problems.

I've hired devs who didn't nail everything and not hired ones that did and how they think and problem solve is very important. For example I usually tried to weed out the ones who are just stubborn jerks about questions and feedback. Someone who can't even fake that through the 1 hour interview segment is going to be miserable to work with.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

durrneez posted:

i did have to do a phone screen. phone screens are fine. i smash behaviorals. but this one? drat son, luv2chat at someone while they're obviously not engaged in a conversation and more engaged in typing what i say verbatim.

yeah, what bugs me about their interview process is the 4 hours of live-coding ON TOP OF not meeting any of the engineers who i'd be working with. phone screen --> tech screen --> 4 hours of unpaid coding --> call with ceo and coo.

Is it a 4 hour virtual onsite or a longer virtual onsite with 4 hours of coding? 4-5 hours is roughly what most of my onsites were in my most recent rounds but most were half or less coding. For example for my current job the onsite was a 1 hour algo/leetcode type thing, 1 hour of more regular work type coding(here's a project, add these features), 1 hour system design, 2 hours behavioral(one with a technical manager and the other with a product person). Most others were similarly laid out.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Thirst Mutilator posted:

- Are there any recommended ways to practice for coding panels besides hammering on Leetcode/Hackerrank questions and reading various resources for system design panels?

For me it's more about how you approach leetcode. Make sure you aren't just banging your head against the wall and taking an hour to do a medium. If you're stuck on a problem for a long time, go look at the solution, implement it and understand it. Then go to a similarly categorized problem and solve that one.

For system design, the biggest thing is get used to doing it aloud and repeatedly. Design a basic twitter and write it out while explaining aloud. Design a basic reddit and write it out while explaining aloud. Design a clone of a lovely comedy message board from 1999 and write it out while explaining aloud.

I also used this a bit while I was studying system design, though I can't speak for 100% of the information in here: https://gist.github.com/vasanthk/485d1c25737e8e72759f

Thirst Mutilator posted:

- What resources are people using these days to find job listings? I've been on AngelList but have avoided LinkedIn. I have some friends I could leverage for referrals too but haven't made the most of them, mostly because I've felt out of practice with regard to interview panels

Don't totally avoid linked in. It can be a great tool for finding new jobs. Updating your profile can open a lot of doors. Granted you'll have to sift through a lot of garbage, but you can also just respond no to all of them if you want. It took me an afternoon to update mine and contacts skyrocketed. If you have friends on there that can give endorsements that might help with your employment gap. Edit: This was linked a lot in the Oldie thread a few months ago. https://egghead.io/talks/egghead-how-social-media-can-land-you-your-dream-job

For another option I used hired.com in my most recent search. It wasn't incredible, but I did end up landing my current job from there. It has an option to be up front about salary requirements, which is good and bad of course.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 10, 2022

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I know getting the first job is hard but I keep getting rejected from jobs at the final stage usually by a engineer. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong or my portfolio isn't wow-ing enough or I don't have a good enough portfolio piece. I don't fuckin know other than it's extremely frustrating and depressing to get far along into the process only to be shot down at the last second lol.

I think I'm just in that weird place where I've mostly worked in WordPress on brochure sites and not "real" products so engineers just kinda write me off. Is there anyway to get over this hump or am I just screwed until I get a lucky break? I've gotten pretty far into into three different job processes only to be "Unfortunately..." At the last step.

If you're relying on your portfolio to be a big seller, could you try to build something that isn't wordpress related? Like whip up some kind of portfolio app in python, java, c#, javascript or something like that?

If you're getting through to final rounds, how are those going? Are you getting any feedback from the companies? It doesn't hurt to ask, they already rejected you.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I kinda doubt lack of git experience would keep you from getting a job as a junior engineer. It's something people usually pick up pretty quickly, like a quick crash course of what you need to know and then sending a slack message if you get stuck. There's more to git as a whole, but a junior engineer is probably only really making commits to their own branch, making pull requests, and simple things like that. It looks like you started lookin in late November, so like 2.5 months of job searching isn't too bad. Don't get too discouraged. I have over 10yoe and I took over 4 months in my most recent job search.

What kind of interviews have you encountered? Like algorithm/leetcode stuff, debug this thing, take homes, conversational but technical questions like someone asking you what polymorphism is, behavioral interviews, etc.

Are you targeting a particular type or job or industry?

Edit:

Angelist is good for startups. I mentioned earlier I used hired and it got a few good bites and fair amount of meh ones. Indeed I've used a ton in the past but there is just so much stuff to sift through. I used it a lot more early on though.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 10, 2022

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Unless you want to work specifically for marketing agencies I'd say branch out more. For junior devs industry specific knowledge is not a big factor. I'm actually a pretty firm believer it's a non-factor for all but the highest seniority developers. I've changed industry every time I've changed jobs without issue.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah my average project I only care enough that I don't want it to come back to make my life or my coworkers lives annoying. The same thing to a lesser extent for other developers when I'm reviewing stuff, unless I absolutely know this is gonna ruin my day eventually, I'll suggest fixes, but probably not fight much over them unless you somehow pissed me off in the response.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
You don't really have a real offer yet imo, but they are basically trying to figure out how little they can offer you because they do want to hire you.

Listen to whatever the negotiation thread says, but do not low-ball yourself. Especially not based on some nebulous region thing. Some companies pay differently by region. Some don't. But don't talk yourself into some weird "I like in X so Y is just too much!" self fulfilling prophecy.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I really hate that bit of javascript logic. Why do that when the null coalescing operator(??) exists?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I mean I can read it because I've seen it used before, but it just feels wrong :(

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
While I didn't spend a ton of time on it, when I interviewed devs in the past I always made sure to pepper in a couple small questions about SQL related things to make sure they weren't totally inept.

"How would you implement a many to many relationship in the database?"
"What is a foreign key and why would you use one?"
"That object you described, how would you implement it as a table in the database?"
"What is an index and what are the advantages and disadvantages of using one?"

A surprising number of supposedly full stack devs would miss on these fairly basic questions.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Security in general is a thing a lot of devs just don't understand.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Worldshatter posted:

A legitimate question - what does a Business Analyst actually *do* - On the rare instances I go into the office they sit in the same area as the developers but all I can gather is that they seem to hum and haw in meetings all day about the projects the developers are actually working on

The brief attempts I've made to research it just tend to give definition responses which boil down to saying "they analyse the business" in a roundabout way which doesn't really alleviate my admittedly very very biased assumption

(I acknowledge this as an incredibly computer goblin esque question but such is life)

The good ones I've worked with have been numbers and ideas people. Like digging around spreadsheets and databases to get an impression of what's going on. Trying to prove if thing is going well and having an impact. Writing ad-hoc reports when requested. Trying to find warning signs in trends.

Basically, analyzing the business.

Lots of places I've worked though, it's just a title for all miscellaneous computer touchers. Like a company has some terrible internal tool that needs daily touching to keep running, hire a business "analyst" who has to keep touching it daily.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
If it helps most system design questions I've been asked were focused on designing a slim version of a well known system. Like "how would you design Reddit." with some set of features. Also typically one of the big things interviewers will look at in those is that you're asking the right questions and properly understanding the problem before getting started.

This cheatsheet seemed helpful prepping last time I interviewed https://gist.github.com/vasanthk/485d1c25737e8e72759f

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I don't maintain a public portfolio so I can't help there, but I can say that if you want a full stack developer role, do not take a DBA role. It's fine if you just want a tech specific job or if you want to be a DBA, but it's a different job and not a meaningful step towards a dev role. If anything, be willing to settle for a not full stack role, like front end development, because then you'll still be getting meaningful experience towards the full stack role you want. You probably won't need to do that though, since the majority of broad tech developer roles are full stack to some extent.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The background check is going to be the same regardless of what position you're looking at. It will vary more based on company than specific role or title. Like a bank will have stricter requirements than like an auto parts e-commerce site.