Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Reaganomicon
Oct 14, 2010

by Lowtax

2banks1swap.avi posted:

You REALLY hate it when someone suggests that poo poo happens outside of your personal control, huh? Massive locus of control disagreement going on here. At least now I know to not suggest such things when networking in the future.

For what it's worth, I realize what you're saying. That doesn't change whether or not you'd be better off being hot poo poo in Computer Science vs hot poo poo in most other things, though.

Connections determine where you get a job. The job you get there determines the amount of cashmoney you will acquire. Unless you're an autistic shutin or a poor that went to a degree mill, your connections will matter more than your Hot poo poo Quotient.

I mean, as a guy who supposedly did the research, I'm amazed you missed all of the loving nepotism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Reaganomicon
Oct 14, 2010

by Lowtax

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I was assuming it was so blatantly, boot-on-your-neck obvious it didn't warrant being spoken other than saying "Network" and "OH GOD INTERNSHIPS" and "first job RELAY matters". Once you get that first experience you're able to go by actual qualifications, but I do agree that your first actual chance comes down to how much elbow rubbing and palm greasing you do.

I hate this to no end. I also can't do much for it except as a goon (LOL) until I get to a University and start meeting professors. Community College doesn't exactly offer poo poo for what I'm doing, they've said my transfer University will handle it, and that's about a year out given the pile of prerequisites - the rest of calculus, physics, etc.

Obviously if I was going to start a nepotism goonproject I'd make an avatar of every shining corporate stereotype one could, so you won't see "twobanks" go get a job given I actually speak my mind on this name. But yes, to everyone who lives out the buzzwords: NEPOTISM OR YOU'RE SCREWED.

On that note, make a fake facebook with no info at all, just a pic of you looking normal and doing normal things, that is searchable, while making your own facebook NOT searchable and NOT having a picture of yourself or anything identifiable on it. That way if you have a slip of opinion and speak your mind, you don't get blacklisted or fired for it!

I've already started honing my "Hide your actual feelings and go along with the group" skills by palling around with the conserva-crew engineering student group at my school and networking with the local university's engineering department staff. DO THESE THINGS! Talk to advisers, tutors, professors, and be someone who stands out. If you're at a CC it's probably a lot easier to be remembered instead of a name on a list; if you're at a University I guess that just means try harder or nag your adviser daily.

At any rate, do extra curriculars, join student groups, do a drat internship if you get one, and don't lease or buy or finance any expensive junk until long after you can actually afford it.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I realize it's a hard thing to grapple with, but literally every good job I've ever had in my brief life was a result of nepotism, be it strictly defined, or the more weak version of the word where it's an issue if "who you know" even if I wasn't literally related to them.

I'm very glad that something I've held interest in for a long time happens to offer me the stability and security I need. I just can't realize why so many people are so full of themselves they don't realize that many things completely out of their control could take it all away. If you're on the internet, you have to have been exposed to the statistics. I guess they don't comprehend them as it pertains to their working lives.

Don't even get me started on how many HR departments filter out people with 6 months or more of unemployment, calling them "unemployable" and leaving them to their fate.

Go see a psychologist before you hurt yourself, please.

Statistics aren't a prophecy. They are utterly devastated by skill combined with nepotism, because those two factors, by their powers combined, make you an outlier.

I got a job janitoring hardware in a small CS research lab attached to my university as a freshman because I was friends with several profs, who in turn were friends with the guys doing research and basically recommended me when the subject came up. Despite me not knowing a drat thing about janitoring.

And welp, now I have A Very Important Name on my resume because the guy who runs the lab is one of the most notorious researchers in his field. I've since had my salary doubled to a living wage by the virtue of being able to produce code that doesn't make your eyes bleed. I'm a sophomore and already making enough to start paying back loans.

Caveat: I live in Europe. Preemptive condolences re: you`re country.