Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Recent grad here. Spent all summer applying to places and haven't been on an interview in 4 months. Even taught myself how to create my own Wordpress theme from scratch to make myself more attractive. My problem is, recruiters loving SUCK. I've been trying to get interviews through them all summer with no luck, but in the past week I've spent on Craigslist, I am now in contact with 3 employers.

Are there any other sites like Craigslist where I can apply directly to companies instead of having to go through recruiters who do nothing for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Ended up getting a second interview with a 12-person web firm in downtown Philly

After my first interview, they had me do a coding assignment in Angular bc I never worked with it, and they wanted to see if I could pick it up. It took me a day to finish it, but I relied heavily on youtube tutorials. Now I'm really doubting my ability as a front-end developer

Have you guys ever been afraid that you wouldn't be able to perform for a company who is showing an active interest in pursuing you?

Ornithology posted:

Any suggestions as far as picking a Capstone project for university/college?

We had to do them solo in my class. Some cool things my classmates did were a program that 3D prints braille phrases, a employee scheduling app, and a card game app. I made a knockoff urban dictionary

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 9, 2016

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I just went on a second interview for this "Programmer's Assistant" role at a BigCommerce company. It pays $14/hr part time for 30-35 hours per week. I'm wondering if that's a fair paycheck or I should ask for more if they offer me a position.

They had me come in the other day for a test and to have me get a feel for what I'd be doing day-to-day. I passed the test, so I am hoping to hear back this week. The test involved me doing an application install for an express checkout interface on an e-commerce website. They basically wanted me to install the product and find any bugs and document them (such as the page not being responsive, coupon codes not applying properly, and some html markup errors).

They also said I'd probably be dealing with customers on the phone as well.

I know it's part time, but does this really sound like something worth $14 an hour? I'm making more bartending private parties the restaurant I work at now. I thought knowing HTML and CSS alone was valuable.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Thanks guys. He just emailed me and told me to call him in his office, so this is either going to be the job offer or me getting a rejection. I think I'm gonna try to haggle for more money. I'm really nervous

This is the responsibilities on the job posting:

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 1, 2016

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Grump posted:

Thanks guys. He just emailed me and told me to call him in his office, so this is either going to be the job offer or me getting a rejection. I think I'm gonna try to haggle for more money. I'm really nervous

This is the responsibilities on the job posting:

Took the job. He offered full time 35k with full benefits paid. He said I deserved more and he wanted to see me move up eventually

I start Monday and the best part is I can wear a flannel and jeans

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Yeah. Majored in Media and Info Tech.

B.A of arts and sciences

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Thanks! I'm looking forward to doing something productive and not looking at twitter and playing video games all day

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Pilsner posted:

If you're aiming to be a developer, I wouldn't take that job. It doesn't sound like it will give any worthwhile dev experience, just testing and random tasks, as other posters have said.

Just reread this post and it got me a little curious. This company has less than 20 people, and judging from these past 2 days, I'm working pretty closely with devs. Do you think that there would be more collaboration between QA and devs at a small company, and it would be easier for me to move up to a developer role, moreso than at a large company with segregated departments?

Has anyone here worked in QA roles and moved up to developing?

If I don't see any chance of moving up within the year, I'll definitely keep interviewing, but I'm just hoping that there is things I can learn about development in this QA role.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Pretty interesting. I am 3 days into the job already and these other QA guys are terrible teachers.

They just leave me alone at my desk until I ask for work to do, they give me a 20 minute CSS bug to fix, I'll make the fix and then let them know, and they'll say "cool" and then they ignore me until I ask for more work again. For 3 whole days now.

Seriously. I spent all afternoon watching Lynda tutorials bc I was so bored. I'm done asking them. They're just not teaching me how to do my job. They're just not speaking to me. It's almost as if they didn't need to hire me. WTFFFFFF

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 14, 2016

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

These guys are my supervisors. They're the heads of the department. The only guys above them are the CEO and the Director of Operations. There's only 18 people at this company.

I know where to go to see the tickets but there's not much I can do besides try and fix something myself and send one of the two guys the fixed code, but they spend all day answering and fixing tickets anyway, so i don't know what the gently caress i'm doing here

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

That's probably not a bad idea. If they spend enough time copy+pasting your changes, they might get the message and give you the access you need to do it yourself, which I'm guessing is the impediment, yes?

Sorry. I don't think I was clear in my last post. My problem is most of the support tickets are for issues where I need access to the backend, which I don't have. So I'm pretty much S.O.L. Pretty much all I have access to do is look at the support tickets and think "hmmm....I wonder why this issue is occurring." I only saw one on the list that was a visible front-end issue, and even for that I don't have permission to reply to the client or edit the source code. I just put the CSS code in a txt file and emailed my manager the file, but he didn't do anything with it. I checked at the end of the day and the ticket was still open.

I'm just going to go to my department head tomorrow and say "Look dude you need to give me work to do. I sat here for 8 hours yesterday doing nothing" This is just ridiculous. Nobody is paying me any attention and not even attempting to show me what I should be doing.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 15, 2016

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

dantheman650 posted:

She's been applying to all sorts of positions. We don't know what's going on and it's getting really frustrating (and nobody's giving any actionable feedback). She's a better programmer than me and I've already gotten plenty of offers despite only doing decently well in on-sites.

Does she just need to keep at it? It's been three months now of full-time job search and studying.

I graduated in May and it took me 6 months to get a job. I'd say she's doing okay and just needs to keep looking.

If I had any advice after being on the job hunt for 6 months, I'd say you should only apply directly to companies. Recruiters are worthless. I found a job that pays well on Craigslist.

I dunno if she's going through recruiters, but it's worth mentioning. All they did was help me waste 5 months of my life.

Grump posted:

Sorry. I don't think I was clear in my last post. My problem is most of the support tickets are for issues where I need access to the backend, which I don't have. So I'm pretty much S.O.L. Pretty much all I have access to do is look at the support tickets and think "hmmm....I wonder why this issue is occurring." I only saw one on the list that was a visible front-end issue, and even for that I don't have permission to reply to the client or edit the source code. I just put the CSS code in a txt file and emailed my manager the file, but he didn't do anything with it. I checked at the end of the day and the ticket was still open.

I'm just going to go to my department head tomorrow and say "Look dude you need to give me work to do. I sat here for 8 hours yesterday doing nothing" This is just ridiculous. Nobody is paying me any attention and not even attempting to show me what I should be doing.

Wanted to give an update on this too. This job is starting off slow, but I was overreacting. My department heads aren't the best at finding me work, but we've discussed and they think it's better to spoonfeed me everything very slowly than throw me into anything challenging.

Which I think is dumb, but :shrug:. I'm watching lots of Lynda videos and getting a lot better at Javascript and Jquery. And i'm getting paid to do so!

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 21, 2016

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's not entirely true;

I'm mainly saying that based off where I live. Philly has been unkind to entry level web developers this year, imo

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

That's pretty cool. It sounds like they're trying to feel out your personality more than anything with that test.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Dang. I'm seeing a bunch of Jr Front End roles popping up in Philly now that I'm employed as a goddamn QA person

Truly a first world problem

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Eh. I would if I wasn't in my first job out of college. I figure I'll start applying in 6 months. I just thought it was funny :jerry:

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

baquerd posted:

Low dose of Adderall or amphetamine may help. Ephedrine similarly. Can always try nootropics too. Big meal day before, nothing but light snacks day of can help (not sugary crap). Just take the edge off that hunger, because humans are smarter when slightly hungry. Propranolol or benzos if shaking or just mentally anxious, but don't combine with uppers. Ask in advance for a 30 minute solo break perhaps. Lock yourself in a closet for a few days so you crave Human contact.

The human body is just a computer we don't have the manual to.

:stare::stare::stare:

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Ornithology posted:

Is it still reccomended to negotiate for very first entry level positions? I'm finishing up a 2 year college course in April and am about to head to a second interview for a C# developer position. Not sure if I should be attempting to negotiate higher salary when I have essentially no leverage. Then again it's very early in the year and I could have a bunch of other offers by the time I graduate.

Is it an ok idea to accept an offer if I get it but then continue interviewing and see if I can find something better by April? Nothing else is in the works right now but I expect to hear back from some other internship opportunities in a couple months...

Don't accept a job if you have no interest in the offer sheet. It's fine to keep interviewing, but I wouldn't take a job you don't want, obviously.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Ornithology posted:

I definitely am interested in it, it's just that it is quite early in the year still and I don't know what other opportunities might come along that could be better.

I was in a position where I got an offer, and they gave me a week to decide if I wanted the job or not. But I was waiting on a second company to get back to me.

I ended up accepting the first offer, which was good because the second company ended up giving me a rejection the next week. Sometimes you just gotta make a decision. :shrug: When a good opportunity comes along, take it. It's hard to tell if you're making the right choice, but whatever. The job application process sucks anyway.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I think the one I hate the most is when one of the qualifications for a job is:

You're in love with the F12 button or
You're obsessed with the console log.

stfu

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

My God this conversation is making me want to move out of Philly.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I never understood what it would be like to work on one site, unless you're constantly writing blog posts or something like that.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Keetron posted:

Now you enjoy yourself much more, check out that sweet github if you want examples.

This reminds me of the time I applied to web dev company and included the link to my Github. And he replied "We’ve no idea what these are … there’s no online portfolio." and "You’re not presenting your skills".

These are real quotes I just grabbed from the email.

I replied that I wanted to rescind my application and that I didn't really want to work for a condescending gently caress.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

How is this possible? Are there places where Git is not industry standard?

No idea. I gave them a link to my CodePen account too, just so they could see some actual live stuff, but they said they didn't know what that was either.

It was p loving bizarre.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

toadoftoadhall posted:

Will somebody qualified review my CV for me? :)

:justpost:

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Just had a phone interview where the employer said they were transitioning to working with React on a database project that's 15 years old.

Caught me off guard because I didn't know this going into the call, but definitely peaked my interest since I've been learning React for the past month.

Are we at the point where employers expect candidates to be well versed in new Javascript libraries or is that not going to be an expectation until 5 years from now

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Iverron posted:

Depending on where you live, just being able to prove you know a single React thing other than having heard of it once is probably enough to entice.

The last time I was looking about 3-4 years ago, I did an interview for a contract position I wasn't interested in just to dust off a bit and the guy seemed shocked to be talking to a Developer who had prior experience with SASS and MVC 3/4.

Yeah I basically explained to the guy that I was in the middle of creating my first React CRUD app and was just completely honest about not being extremely skilled at it but was having a lot of fun learning.

I honestly couldn't tell what he was thinking after. Hopefully I get a call back :shrug:

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Just loving lol at Jobspring Partners and Workbridge Associates. These are the worst recruiting agencies ever. I used them last year when I was fresh out college because I was naive and was desperate for a job. They just bait you with an email for a potential job. And then when you get on the phone with them, they ask you to come in to their office without even mentioning the said job.

I mistakenly started up communications with them because I'm on the job hunt again and here's basically how it went.

They send me an email: :stare: "Hey. We have this really cool company we're working with that needs someone with JS experience and who is interested in front-end frameworks such as React and Angular."

I call them: :) "Hey that job sounds really cool. I'm working at a company building apps in JS and Jquery and have a little bit of React experience under my belt as well."

:stare: "Hey. So it turns out they're looking for someone more mid-level. Can you come into our office anyway so we can discuss what you're looking for?"

:) "Can't we just do that over the phone?"

:stare: "We typically like to meet our canidates. What time is best for you?"

:) "Idk. I work 40 hours a week"

So then she basically made me look at my schedule and pick a time to meet, even though I told her I was too busy this week and next week. We're scheduled for 8AM on Monday and she's having all her co-workers come in early to meet with me. I have no plans on going to this interview. I told her I didn't have the time.

And I know she probably had a manager breathing down her back telling her what to say b/c I could hear the guy in the background.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

camoseven posted:

You know you can just hang up on people, right?

My Irish guilt gets the best of me.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

lifg posted:

Personally I use the "talk to a stuffed monkey" approach. It's where you explain the problem to a stuffed animal sitting on your desk. Often you'll come up with the solution right then. It works because talking out loud activates different pathways in your brain than when you're thinking to yourself.

If you feel stupid talking to a stuffed animal, you can talk to a coworker instead. But then you'll get to feel stupid in a whole new way as you suddenly start describing an obvious solution while you're explaining your intractable problem.

I like that idea because sometimes I've asked my coworker why something wasn't working, when I was just looking at the wrong loving browser tab.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Hello thread, I'm here to ask for advice about my resume. I have the opportunity to submit it to a big computer graphics company through a former coworker and I want to make sure it's as strong as I can make it.

For context, I graduated at the very end of 2015 and have been working in software QA since, and I'm trying to get a job as a software engineer. Even though I've got programming experience in the past and my current job involves some programming (although not enough for me, which is part of why I am trying to switch), I've gotten rejected by a few places very quickly, and there are others that I'm afraid are ignoring me. It feels like opportunities like this are my best (only?) shot at getting a developer job.

Here is my anonymized resume, I'd appreciate suggestions or criticism. Thanks!

Your entire header is taking up waaaay too much space. Also, there's a lot of white space down at the bottom.

I think the hierarchy should go something like this Experience > Projects > Skills > Education

You should add more information to each job you had. At least one more setence. Lose everything from your education section, except the school, graduation year, and major. And maybe add another project if you have one.

And links are really helpful, as others have said already.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Was wondering if I could get some critiques on my resume as well.

I just cleaned it up with some new skills and fixed my experience.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzk6dpbjvYzBN041NVp1ZWhmbnM/view?usp=sharing

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

lifg posted:

Put specific technologies into each bullet point. You mention HTML and PHP and MySQL in your skills section, which are skills that employees want, but did you use them for on your job? Show me where.

What kind of jobs are you looking for? Frontend, backend, QA, other?

Front end. Almost all of my skills are showcased in my job or projects sections, except for stuff like React, where I only have small hobby projects, not large enough to put on a resume.

huhu posted:

Add horizontal breaks.

Use the same format throughout the entire resume. Your projects section has a different layout - this makes it difficult to skim. I would also suggest writing bullets like job positions for your projects.

Several of your skills have the wrong uppercase letters, for example, it's WordPress not Wordpress.

Thanks. I'll match the formatting.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Had a phone screening today. The woman asked me the reason why I was looking for another job.

I said:

1) Pay raise
2) More opportunities to develop vs. doing QA and customer service stuff
3) Learning new front-end tech, specifically JS frameworks.

I thought these were all solid reasons to look for a new job. Right now, I'm 5 months into my first job after college and making below the AVG and MED wages for my field. I'm fine with this because I'm learning and getting experience.

The screening woman said, "If you were my nephew, I'd smack you. You should never tell a hiring manager that you're looking for a pay raise because entry level people usually expect more than they're actually worth and it just ends up pissing the hiring manager off."

Like :confused:. Lady, obviously I want a pay raise. Why is that such a taboo thing to bring up? I was even told by my current employer that you should always discuss compensation in every interview you take.

I was pretty confused, but I'd like to hear other thoughts about this? Is "I want to make more money" really a bad point to bring up in an interview?

Ploft-shell crab posted:

Any tips for getting a job *after* your first job? I'm planning on more seriously looking in a month or two, but having sent out my resume a bit to test the waters I've literally not got a single response. Been graduated/at my current gig for ~9 months.

Also, current title is Jr Software Eng, is it too soon to be looking for a title bump?

Same. I've just been putting out feelers and updating my resume/cover letter to include keywords and details that match all the job postings well.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

camoseven posted:

If I was trying to get a job somewhere and the first point of contact talked about slapping me I would nope the gently caress out of there immediately. That seems incredibly hosed up and dysfunctional.

yeah. The funny part was that she asked me what I'm making now, and after I told her she said that they offer a lot more than my current job.

I think I was just dealing with a nutcase HR lady.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Mniot posted:

It depends on context. The way Grump wrote it "1) Pay raise" isn't tactful, but if it was more like

"What are you making right now?"

"$30k/year"

"Oh! Well we can definitely get you a lot more than that. Why are you looking to leave?"

"Well, I feel like I'm being under-compensated..."

Then it's fine.

Nah it was the other way around. Why I was looking to leave was the first question she asked. I got the snappy response right after that. She asked what I was earning towards the end of the conversation.

Even if it was forward, we're all adults and I think that being honest in that I want to make more money is a pretty valid point to bring up in a phone screen. Even if saying that is pretty obvious.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I think we might be getting off-point here.

I definitely don't think talking about the specific compensation during the initial phone screen is okay. But I do think telling a recruiter that you're looking for a job that pays more is fine , and that you shouldn't be scolded for bringing it up. Like, that's a given. Who looks for a job that offers equal pay??? Maybe as a junior level person, it might come off as snobby, but I definitely don't think that "junior level employees usually overestimate how much they're actually worth" is an appropriate response. It does seem like their treating me like an irresponsible child, like Herbotron said.

Either way, I don't plan on taking this job if I get far into the interview process. It's a little far.

Thermopyle posted:

You shouldn't have told her what you're making now.

Agreed. I definitely regretted that after the call.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I think being familiar with console logs/network error codes is useful.

Knowing what it means when a variable is undefined. And the different between 400 or 500 errors is also pretty useful.

That usually the first thing I check whenever something goes wrong.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Skandranon posted:

Also some familiarity with JavaScript unit/integration test frameworks, so they can actually spend most of their time writing integration tests instead of manually testing things.

If you know Javascript/OOP pretty well, but next to nothing about unit testing/any automated testing of any sort, where is the best place to get started with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

idk. Being able to decipher the console was huge to me when I first started at my company. I also felt more useful when I could troubleshoot things by myself, even if it was only a few things.

I can't imagine someone who just wants to do the bare minimum without really understanding why things are breaking. That's the kind of stuff I really wanted to know and I think it's made me a better developer for it. Even if she doesn't know how to write code, maybe she'll end up having a motivation to learn while in a QA position.

Skandranon posted:

Not personally being a fan of unit testing... it depends on your environment. There's no shortage of articles which will point to the framework(s) used for various platforms. I'm currently using Karma and Jasmine for testing a large Angular SPA.

This was also posted earlier to much praise: http://artofunittesting.com/

sweet. Everything I do at my job is me just manually trying to break things, and I'd love to dive in to automated stuff.