Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
What is the difference between "I hard coded it to see if it would work" and "I want to make this code production-ready"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Pollyanna posted:

and I'm bringing my car up because gently caress walking 15 minutes for groceries.

lmfao you're adorable

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Open question for any of you guys: when you were trying to get your first job in this industry, what do you think it was, looking back, that landed you the interview(s) you needed in the first place? Was it because you had an extensive catalog of interesting personal projects that demonstrated expertise in a relevant library that the employer cared about? Maybe it was because your Github/LinkedIn page looked really good? Maybe you just knew the right person? Or maybe it was just luck?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

For me, it was that one of the dozens of recruiters who were contacting me actually followed through on a job he had for me.

Stupid question: how did those dozens of recruiters start spamming you? Did you just click the "spam me pls" thing on LinkedIn and then it just came flooding in?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

The Dark Wind posted:

For anyone who's even mildly curious, the first day went really well, every body is super friendly at the company, and I'm super excited to actually be able to code for a living. :shobon:

It was all set up today and honestly a lot of it was completely over my head. I've mainly been working on Ubuntu but this is a Microsoft shop, there was tons of configuration to be done through IIS. Wondering if it'll be worth my time learning a bit more about IIS, although it seems that this is the kind of stuff I only need to set up once and probably can forget about it soon after.

So jealous. Congratulations duderino

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Ehh.

The terms are basically interchangeable with slight differences for formality except for the small subset of people who get offended, then they mean vastly different things.

Personally, I still feel not worthy of calling myself a coder or whatever because of all the years of dealing with people who were complete assholes about it back when I was brand new to this stuff.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Vincent Valentine posted:

If someone told me they fire a lot of people I would be terrified of getting fired, work way more than I should to "prove my value", burn out almost instantly and quit before I could even be fired.

Heard from someone who worked for the US Postal Service for a long time and they described their experience as being almost exactly like this.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Just read Cracking the Coding Interview. I don't mean to be repetitive but its so good, seriously. If you've read that and can answer all the relevant OOP / Java sections you're good. And maybe read a Design Patterns book? Not necessarily required but it'll help you shine for sure if you're confident on being able to name design patterns and use them appropriately.

But that looks pretty good, also you need to be absolutely perfect on common Java data structures, and the Big-O runtime / spacetime of common algorithms, things you might write, etc. (Mostly HashMap but you should know others very well too)

Is there an analogous Getting the Coding Interview book, too? Because I'd like to read that one.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

CPColin posted:

I guess that's the silver lining with wearing a collared shirt and slacks every day at this job; all I'll really need to swap out are my shoes. When I was still at my last job, everybody was way more casual, so I had to do a quick-change while hurrying to an interview, at one point.

This is probably the best argument possible for showing up well-dressed to work every day.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

You cant just passively go to work every day, press keys on your keyboard, collect your paycheck and go home.
Please don't poo poo on my dreams.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
So wait a minute: when I do fizzbuzz on the challenge sites, I just check for mod 3 and then mod 5. It passes their tests. Since this convo has gone on for multiple pages, I'm now second guessing whether I'm retarded.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
The debate between "just happy to have a job and be able to pay the bills" versus "don't settle for less than what the pros make" is always an interesting read.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

rt4 posted:

Don't subtract anything yourself because your employer will always be happy to do it for you

On this topic: if the employer specifically says that your asking salary is what they pay their senior people and they're not so sure that your experience is sufficient for that salary level... does this still apply and take the chance of them passing you up? Because what if they're not lying?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
This truly reads like a horror story, Shirec. I feel really bad for you and that really really sucks that you have to deal with that.

It makes me worried about the only interview/verbal offer I've been able to get recently. Like you, I also lack professional experience but have a plethora of amateur experience. It's a 99% black hole with regard to job applications to change careers to doing programming for a living, but the only interview and subsequent verbal offer has been for a salary much lower than the average for that area according to Glassdoor. Been trying to stick to the numbers but they say they aren't sure if I'm experienced enough for that salary level and offer to re-negotiate the salary after a probationary period.

I figure it makes sense to be clear about how I'll be evaluated when that time comes, but I'm not sure what to expect for such a thing (assuming that I do accept their offer).

This blog post (http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/) sort of encourages us not to accept anything "below average" and so when I read your story here it only makes me fearful that I might be eventually be faced with a similar nightmare scenario.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

Dealing with him changed my personality in a bad way and resulted in a significant period of unemployment while I put myself back together. If you're feeling lovely and abused, you aren't overreacting.

The day I put in my notice (I bothered to give notice at all because I liked my co-workers) was such a beautiful, uplifting day, even though I had weeks to go. Look forward to that.

I like to think that everybody has a story like this and goes through an experience like this. Not even just with regard to employment but to life stuff in general: maybe a nasty family member, maybe some troll on the internet, maybe a lovely neighbor...

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

The Fool posted:

If your attitude in person is anything like your attitude in your last few posts, your inability to get a job has nothing to do with your references.

It's a vicious circle. Lack of upward mobility breeds depression. Depression makes it harder to climb the ladder. Especially if you get burned by a bad boss.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah, I'm sorry for having a bad additude yesterday. It's just a tough grind. I had several bad experiences yesterday with jobs I had to creat accounts to apply to and then their crappy sites ended up being so broken that I couldn't apply anyway. Local city/county stuff.

This thread is a great resource and generally a very positive environment, so I'm sorry for being lovely.

You're not alone at all

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I mean if this thread is really in that much of a need for someone to laugh at, I can just help you guys out by calling attention to my own situation.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

is there an explicit path engineers need to follow as they grow?

This is basically all of my posts itt in a nutshell

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Shirec posted:

I'm so so tired, and I have to send out more resumes and pretend I feel good about my work
You are not alone

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

The Fool posted:

How are:
Living paycheck to paycheck
High interest credit cards
Missing student loan payments
Being trapped in an abusive relationship
Workplace sexual harassment

Not real problems?

Goons gonna goon, even in empathetic real life threads outside of GBS and E/N, unfortunately. Personally I'm grateful that he posted that crap because now I know to ignore his future posts.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 4, 2018

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Unbelievably White posted:

Imagine that my post is an audience at a gladiatorial arena, calling for this guy's blood.

"La-bor Board! La-bor Board!"

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Found this a while back but forgot to share/post it here:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

geeves posted:

I'm tempted to torpedo the company. Just because I can.

You are where I want to be in life :allears:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I don't understand what your preferred option is here - they do the phone call anyway knowing that they're not going to hire you? Who does that help?

A glimmer of hope is better than none when you have nothing

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I wish I were so experienced and well connected that I could get gainful employment in the industry of my choice without ever having write a cover letter or a post interview thank you letter.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

but talking about tech as if it's an unusually hard field seems absurd
:smith:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

right but still, compared to what? what is the field where people have it better?

Elected office

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

churn and burn

I'm stealing this

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
You know those Easy Apply™ things for jobs on LinkedIn? A recruiter responded to one of my things today and accidentally included the e-mail notification they get from LinkedIn itself, which shows what LinkedIn actually shows them when you apply through their thing.

Censored out personal information for obvious reasons:

The big things that stand out to me are:
  • The Resume File Name actually matters and is shown to them
  • The number of LinkedIn recommendations is shown to them
  • The number of connections you have is shown to them
  • The living location you set on your profile is shown to them
  • When you apply for jobs via LinkedIn, that "# of matching skills you have" thing isn't shown anywhere

I figure the rest of you guys can benefit from knowing this, so that you know exactly how the LinkedIn people present you to the people who actually look at your applications.

edit: I think that another takeaway from this is that the number of stuff you have in your past experience appears to show up on their thing, so maybe it's best to flood it with stuff that isn't necessarily with working at a company (i.e. personal projects) because the stuff you actually put in the Projects section of your LinkedIn profile doesn't show up anywhere on there.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 2, 2018

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Volguus posted:

What does it show in the Current and Past sections? Current and Past positions? Short description or just title and company? That's interesting info, thanks.

It shows all of what you wrote in your job title sections and the accompanying stuff you wrote in the company name sections. (e.g. "Pooper Scooper at Yellowstone National Park")

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 3, 2018

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

The Fool posted:

Is zero recommendations with hundreds of connections a good or bad thing?

Is that good or bad?

e: Do skill endorsements show up in any way?

In that Udemy course about getting a job that I did last year, it says to have at least one recommendation and 500 connections on your thing and this is probably why. So now I need to go harrass some people, I guess.

As for skill endorsements, none of that appears to show up at all. Everything in the "Accomplishments" section and in the "Skills" section apparently is moot. So I should probably move some stuff into the Education section and in the Experience section so that the person who sees my future applications has more stuff presented to them directly.

Also now I gotta be mindful about the filenames for my resumes or whatever.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Volguus posted:

500 connections? Really? I cannot get that without lovely recruiters as connections and I avoid them (the connection) like the plague. I am always weary of those 500+ people as to me they standout as liers (though I'm sure there are people who genuinely worked with that many people).

Thank you for reminding me why I should have just censored absolutely everything. Here is how you do it:
code:
https://www.linkedin.com/search/results/people/?facetNetwork=["S"]
(copy paste the link manually because the BBCode on this site breaks due to the thing at the end)

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

Doesn't work for me

Are you logged in? Works for me

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

especially if you can knock together some personal projects that prove you can code.

This is the step I have been on for the past couple of years (e: except with a math degree). Every time I think what I have is good enough, I end up going back to the drawing board to keep polishing or make new things to put on the CV because, just as with life in general, nobody cares.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I am garbage

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Xarn posted:

Wow. that is likely more thought and work into finding one job than I gave it across my entire career so far. :v:

:smith:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I wish I were so successful in life and career that I could have enough free time to hijack a thread about getting a job for the industry in which I work to partake in dick measuring contests.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 8, 2018

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Well it depends at every organisation to be honest. But some organisations do just want someone with very basic skills that they can then train on the job.

Please let me know when you find one. Am still looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
This thread is super depressing lately