Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Standish
May 21, 2001

A MIRACLE posted:

Woohoo! I've got a followup interview monday for my first dev job. I want to review before, any pointers on what to study, or have a good link for entry-level dev interview tips? I'm primarily versed in C++ if that helps. Thanks!
have answers ready for all the usual bullshit questions that they love in HR, like "what is your greatest weakness" or or "where do you see yourself in 5 years time" or "tell me about a time you worked as part of a team" or "tell me about a problem you had in work and how you solved it" or "how would you resolve an interpersonal problem with another team member?".

Also think of some good questions for you to ask them -- personal development & training, career progression, that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Standish
May 21, 2001

Pron on VHS posted:

I have a book from a friend, Sam's Teach Yourself Java 2, from 1999. Is this too outdated, or would it be a good place to start?
That's prehistoric in Java terms.

Standish
May 21, 2001

A MIRACLE posted:

Can someone start a thread called "Newbie Programming Jobs Megathread: How do I ask for a raise?"
You don't ask for a raise, you ask for a "performance review".

Pweller posted:

I have several other offers for work... but telling people this seems dickish.
Directly threatening to jump ship is rarely a good idea, but say something along the lines of "I'm aware that I'm being paid well under the current market rate for someone with my skills if I were to look at other opportunities" and they should get the message.

Standish fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 14, 2011

Standish
May 21, 2001

quote:

Company A: downtown, 15 minutes away
Company B: industrial area 1 hour away
Take the job with company B and move house.

Standish
May 21, 2001

Sab669 posted:

I think the big reason why it's unnpaid is because it's a small startup company that hasn't actually rolled out its first product commercially.
If it's a startup where they can't afford salaries then you get equity (not options, actual real shares).

You do not work for nothing. Even apart from the obvious reasons, it's a giant red flag about how you are likely to be treated, how your work is likely to be valued, and the other people you'll be working with.