Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FinkieMcGee
May 23, 2001

Look, I have to go identify our dead father's body. I'm sorry you're having a bad drug experience, but deal with it.

Cicero posted:

What sort of questions do you feel are good for figuring this out? I mean if you ask them, "How do you like working here?", the response basically always amounts to, "Oh it's awesome in seven different ways". How do you get a real feel for what the company is like?

tef has some good ones

I start basic and make sure they know what they're doing to some degree:

1. What type of source control do you use. If they have none that's a major red flag. If they have something that's remarkably outdated like Visual Source Safe that's a red flag as well.

2. How big is the team I'll be working in? Who will I be reporting to?

3. What's the general process you guys go through to go from conception to something that a customer is using? Really depends on the shop but it can give a pretty good perspective on whether they are messed up or not.

4. What's your turnover like?

5. Do you guys do any outsourcing? How does that fit into your development process?

6. Depending on the gig I usually ask questions regarding their server architecture.

7. What would my role be a year from now?

8. What's a typical work day like for you? What would my typical work day be like?

Really I just need enough information to gauge what it's like there and whether they're spending a lot of their time putting out fires or whether the culture is soul crushing.

And yeah, if they use the term "Rockstar" developer, run. Things are probably terrible there and they need a messiah to pull their poo poo together. You probably don't want to be the underpaid bastard that has to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinkieMcGee
May 23, 2001

Look, I have to go identify our dead father's body. I'm sorry you're having a bad drug experience, but deal with it.

HondaCivet posted:

I guess this is more of a general question but is it generally a waste of time to put your resume in with companies that don't currently have any positions open that you fit into?

I'm starting a new job in a week and the only reason it happened is because I applied for a gig I was mildly unqualified for. They ended up basically building out a position that fit me pretty well because they liked me during the phone interviews I had.