Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Apologies in advance for the info-dump, figured the context is important.

Background: I'm not currently a good programmer, I am just starting to dive into design patterns. In my work I am head of the food and beverage department of a restaurant group in the explosive growth stage of starting up (one medium and one very large property under our belts, 3-7 more in various states of completion). My day to day work consists of high level people and task management. I am responsible for the performance and morale of a department of 86 people as well as the design and execution of the bars and restaurants we are building. Within two weeks I will take on the Director of Operations role for the two months that our DO is going on maternity leave. I am potentially interested in making a change in the next couple of years (after we get these new properties open and stabilized) for a more stable and lower stress job with a more competitive salary. What excites me the most is the idea of a project manager role and I am looking into agile certifications for my current role.

My question is how realistic is this goal for a hobbyist without a CS degree (I have a cert from the local JC) but with experience in high performance project/team management and systems design (even if it is more on the beverage and construction side of things)? Are there any particular skills I should start working on aside from not being a poo poo programmer? What sort of job titles should I look into? Is it even a good job to have?

Tl;Dr: I lead the design and construction of bars and direct of our product department. I am also a bad programmer. If I stop being bad do I have a decent shot at getting a project manager role in software? How/should I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

leper khan posted:

IMO you'd be better off sticking in operations. If you can perform at the director level, I don't see how you'd be better off picking up programming as a skill set for professional use. I don't see why you couldn't move into a product role; either senior product manager or director of product.

I hate to be bad news bear, but after managing 96 people you're going to be seen as significantly overqualified for a lot of the low stress positions. Though it should be relatively easy for you to grab something that's lower stress, like a management role overseeing comparatively fewer people.

TLDR: find a better paying org/industry, you're already in a role that should out-earn most engineers.

Dang, lol. Thanks for the honesty.

Lockback posted:

What job are you looking for as the next step?

Honestly idk what's out there, seen software project manager roles listed as well as program managers. It's more a company culture, enjoyment of work thing. I love my current company, kinda my dream job in most ways. It's a super ethical and equitable company and my work is really interesting. My only pain point is that it's a startup atmosphere so lots of building sop's in the moment and employee burnout due to building sop's in the moment. Also due to the equitable nature of the company we all make just about the same salary (including the management team) so I'm currently making what a well compensated bar manager should make. I know I could make $120k by going into a different and lower stress beverage director role or director of product in another industry but my fear is that the work would be so dull. At least I enjoy software and project/team management.

Justa Dandelion fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 11, 2022

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

leper khan posted:

You're under compensated by probably an order of magnitude or so. Here's what I get from feeling lucky on "levels.fyi director of product"

https://www.levels.fyi/company/LinkedIn/salaries/Product-Manager/

Even just product manager you're estimated value is off by a factor of 2 or so. Sure, you can complain about feeling like you're losing your soul or selling out. But I can put a dollar figure on that for you.

Oh wow. Didn't realize salaries were THAT high. Definitely something to ponder.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Hey all, I posted here a while ago asking for advice on breaking into software development as a bartender with self-taught coding skills and community college coding certificate. Because of the nature of my recent food and beverage work (currently a beverage director responsible for a department of 89 employees, using product and menu development choices to raise P&L to a very significant degree) I was told not to pursue work as an engineer. I think it was both because I don't have the skills to be a junior dev, and also someone voiced the concern that having a "product manager" title (even if it was in a different industry) and a current department head level role that I would be skipped over as "over-qualified" (I'm definitely not overqualified). The advice was to pursue a product manager role. I've finally shaped up my resume, I'll be working on my LinkedIn next. Looking for internship level roles as I'm technically still enrolled in the local community college and could pretty easily turn the certificate program into pursuing a second bachelors degree in computer science or project management.

Would any of you be kind enough to look at my resume and tell me all the many ways in which I am not good enough?

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Strawberry Panda posted:

I think the first thing to do is take your experience parts out of paragraph mode and make them into bullets.

I've been a product manager for a few years now and can do a bigger write up later about what we're looking for and the specific skills you should highlight.

Key skill being team communication and cross team communication.

Heard and good call. Thank you! Any insight as to the life of a product manager? Is it grueling and high stress?

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Hey, apologies if this has been asked one million times. How many, of what type, and how good of portfolio pieces are needed to get a realistic shot at a junior dev job for somebody with minimal formal education?

I am looking for a DBA role as the easiest in but would really like to spend my time in backend or full stack. Python, C++, C#, and SQL are my strongest languages, with Python being the one I feel like I can actually write code in. Got a pretty good handle on OOP, but I still have a lot to learn before I'm actually good at anything. My version controlling is admittedly sloppy and inconsistent, but that's an area I'm looking to pay attention to while putting together my portfolio.

I guess I'm looking for a goal to target to demonstrate that I could be employable to myself and prospective hires. Is one or two reasonably complex things enough? Is that the wrong way to be thinking about it? Should I learn some Frameworks and demonstrate knowledge in those instead of working in vanilla python etc...?

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Thanks for the advice all.

a dingus posted:

If it's up your alley, doing MDN tutorials and creating something new from them would take you pretty far. Ive met lots of juniors who don't know why they do anything, so if you can show you can make something work and understand how you're doing pretty well.

What's mdn?

Edit:
It sounds like knowledge wise I might be closer than I thought. The last couple things I've been playing with are all written with no help beyond asking general questions from friends and googling syntax when needed. One project is a procgen text adventure game playing with some ideas that emily short brought to the field (suits as a metaphor for narrative cohesion). Currently you can move from scene to scene in two dimensions and see a bunch of elm trees. Not much else but the thing is structured well i think. The other is a database version of the flavor Bible with shelf life as an additional value, the idea there is to prompt the user with what food will go to waste first and provide a way for them to identify compatible flavors that they have in the kitchen (or what to buy from the store to have good flavor companions), therefore encourage exploration and free play in the kitchen.

A big issue I am running into is a lack of time. I open restaurants for a living and it's consistent 60 hour weeks plus thinking about it all the time and getting calls from 7am-3am every day. Doesn't leave a lot of time for personal pursuits.

Justa Dandelion fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 23, 2023

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Oh that website is rad as hell. Going to make use of that, thank you.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

I am an operations manager and beverage director for a bar focused restaurant group looking to move into the developer world. My main focus for dropping job applications has been a handful of restaurant adjacent tech companies. I just applied to a role as an operations manager focused on data analysis in their sales department. It recommends a skill set of python, sql, excel, data visualization, data analysis, and project management. I am confident in nearly all of those areas. My big weakness is knowing the vocabulary and best practices of data analysis.

Does anybody have any recommendations for resources to make sure I know what I'm talking about if I get the interview?

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Lockback posted:

A udemy course on data analytics and data engineering would probably be good if you feel comfortable with the technologies. I'd look at both. If it's an operations role, some stuff on modern CICD practices would also help.

As a note: Your experience as operations manager is within a distributor capacity or are you an operations manager for the SAAS app or something? Because an logistical or industrial operations manager and an engineering/software operations manager are very different roles that share almost nothing besides the title. In general I wouldn't hire anyone in a management role who hasn't already managed developers (you typically grow into your first leadership role, being hired into your first developer manager role is rare even if you have other-industry management experience), and I certainly wouldn't ever hire someone to manage developers who didn't have experience in management OR being a developer. The best route to break into the industry is to look for a more entry-level job. If you have those other skills you'll rise up quickly.

I'm making some assumptions based on what you posted, so if you have developer experience, or if you were managing the operations of a true software arm then that's different. I am not unfamiliar with the kind of person who thinks titles from outside software are comparable and thats usually a very frustrating experience for them.

My experience is business/product operations for a restaurant group. Heavy project management and interdisciplinary "make things happen" sort of role. My dev experience is as a "freelance" solo developer who has written tools for small business end users.

This position is definitely NOT managing developers or software though. My understanding of the role I'd be entering is that it is a logistical operations position focused on gtm strategy for the sales team. I'd be building python/excel/etc... tools as an individual for providing data insights to a certain division of sales and to help the gtm team to make decisions about strategy. I could be wrong though.

I am not in a financial position to take entry level help desk work to grow into a traditional developer role. Though I do have the skills to perform well as a junior developer and would be able to survive on a junior dev salary, this job market is proving to be extremely difficult to change career in. Thus I am looking for a position that touches both the product and sales department of a restaurant adjacent tech company to leverage the 20 years of experience I have in restaurants, of which I am a true subject matter expert.

Edit: thank you for the udemy recommendation. Getting those started asap.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Thank you Lockback!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Yes, I'm going to be integrating Docker or Kubernetes into my next project for the practice. It's definitely sounding like CICD is a good workflow style to learn as well. Do you have any thoughts on how to practice that without a user base using my project?

Edit:

prom candy posted:

You should learn scrum so that you can easily recognize and avoid it.

Lol. The restatement group I work for actually uses scrum practices but only the worst ones.