Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
An addition to your "Outside Experience" list: Contribute to (or start) an open source project.

Very cool thread, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

tef posted:

Just going to say: Networking, networking, networking.

This cannot be over-stated. A retard with a thousand friends is going to find a better job faster than an above average guy with 10.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Wizbang posted:

So uh I have an interview in Pittsburgh next week and I'm totally freaked out about how to dress. Here in Portland I've been interviewing in clean jeans and a nice shirt, no tie...but that's Portland. The East coast is uppertight about dress, right? I have a nice suit, but it'll be a big hassle on the plane and I'd rather not worry about it if I don't have to...and it's almost as bad to be overdressed as underdressed, right?

Am I totally overthinking this? I've got the people and technical skills so I'm not too worried, but I've never worked on the East coast. I have this niggling fear that they'll take one look at me and say :frogout:

Find out what the dress code is and dress one step "up" from that. If they are business casual, wear a shirt and tie, but not a suit. That said, you can't really over dress for an interview in my opinion.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Wizbang posted:

This is mostly what had me freaked out, the regional differences.

Well, the eventual job is a 100% telecommute position so it's hard to figure out if they have a dress code at all (or how they'd enforce it). But now that I think about it being a telecommute positon...it's hard to imagine them caring about my clothes at all.

I imagine the office in which you are interviewing has a dress code.... and no, they won't care what you wear while you work from home.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

bUm posted:

Thanks for comments on my resume; got around to updating my resume based on comments here: revised wording slightly, made it chronological by end date (to keep my programming experience at the top while satisfying the chronological/reverse-chronological norm), and removed IDEs/Linux from the skills section (probably will tack on again if it specifically mentions Eclipse/Emacs/Linux experience in the job description [in case they screen by it], but otherwise stick with the cleaned version).

Befriend a graphic designer and have them format your resume for you. I'm not sure what passes for acceptable these days, but that is very hard to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
A general question out of curiosity more than anything else... About how many people get an interview (passing first phone screen or whatever) for each dev job at the "big guys" in the industry (Google, Facebook, etc.)?