Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ironypolice
Oct 22, 2002

Bag of Carpets posted:

Thanks for the info. I've done a bit more research and have found a lot of jobs (at least in Canada) ask for Java / J2EE rather than RoR... Although RoR is less bulky for developing web apps, perhaps having a base in J2EE is a good (transferable?) skillset to have for an entry level position? Am I missing the mark with this idea?

I'd try and get some level of familiarity with two or three major frameworks - Rails, Django, J2EE or some PHP thing - and see which one you like the best. Early in your career it's better to have broad rather than deep knowledge, and you don't want to get locked into a particular technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironypolice
Oct 22, 2002

shrughes posted:

And add the areas of the three-way intersections and subtract the areas of the four-way intersections and ...

The best I can come up with is to compare every pair of rectangles, and if they overlap reduce them into components like so:

Then dump the components back into the pile, and repeat until there are no overlaps, then sum up the areas of the rectangles.

ironypolice
Oct 22, 2002

shrughes posted:

Now do it in O(n log n) time.

Maybe store the vertices in a 2-d array, with a pointer from each vertex to a rectangle structure? That way overlaps can be easily detected. This may also be completely insane.