Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Melted_Igloo posted:

Er what? where the heck do you live?

Theres like 3 IT firms where I live, and they arent hiring anybody without 15 years experience or something ridiculous

So the only places that need developers are IT firms now? There's tons of jobs everywhere. Not sure its as easy as shrike82 makes it out to be, but getting a decent job shouldn't be a problem.

Around here it's all health care, and the pay is pretty good (and really good job security, which is just as important to me as the pay).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Ithaqua posted:

Hey guys, I have an interview next Friday. I'm going to wear a suit. :v:

Here's my latest set of interview horror stories: We're interviewing for a lead architect position. We have a standard phone screening containing all of your favorites (abstract class vs interface, some general philosophical questions, etc). This is all C#, for reference.

This guy, an architect/CTO with 20+ years of industry experience, thought that:
- You declare a method as "virtual" if you want to use it in remoting
- You use abstract classes to get around access modifiers
- (my favorite) Dependency injection is used for debugging and has something to do with stack traces (???????). But he's been unit testing with nUnit for 5 years!

I think these programmers are the same type as the office workers that don't know how to use a computer.

They use a computer every day, but if you told them to do anything other than click on the icon to open Excel or Word they freak out and have no idea what to do.

The same thing probably happens with programmers - they deal with the same program/software for so long that their view of "normal" programming is horribly skewed.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

ancient lobster posted:

I just interviewed with a tech startup and am guessing that I should send a thank you email.

The main guy who interviewed me seemed to have his bullshit detector turned way up and didn't seem to have much patience for canned or unnecessary selling from a candidate.

I am appreciative for having the chance to go in and learn about the company and professional environment, the interview generally went well, and I'm interested in the position, but how can I communicate this without being sycophantic? Or should I try to do this at all?

Say basically what you just said really. If you are actually interested and think you have the skills for the job, that's what you say (obviously elaborate a bit).

And yes you should, showing interest and sending a followup is never a bad thing to do.