Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belgarath
Feb 21, 2003

Ithaqua posted:

I've seen so many people fail to code FizzBuzz correctly that it almost makes me wonder if it's a valid test. What do you guys think?
I believe that it is a valid test. It requires that you have some basic knowledge of programming concepts such as if-else conditional logic, looping, basic maths skills and you can output poo poo to a terminal.

If you can't manage FizzBuzz, then you are wasting ours and your time. From our last round of hiring we had one person fail FizzBuzz, which probably just means the recruiter was doing their job right.

This is why we have a second test, which is more complicated, and we found this is were 90% of candidates fell down. It's not an impossible test, by any stretch, but we find it's a pretty decent indicator of how you approach solving a non-trivial problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belgarath
Feb 21, 2003

Gallatin posted:

Can you tell us anything about the 2nd test?
The second test is a more complicated, and is designed to test the candidates ability to solve a non-trivial problem, and demonstrate their ability and experience in designing a program which solves the problem, including variable, method and class naming, time management and how they cope under pressure.

The candidate has a choice of programming language (C/C++, C#, Java and Delphi) in which to do the test, and they get three hours. Depending on what position a candidate is interviewing for, depends on whether we expect the correct answer from their program, e.g. a junior dev wouldn't be expected to get the correct answer, whereas a senior dev would.

The actual test itself involves reading a dictionary file containing ~80k words, separated by line, and finding the largest set of words which has the longest anagram of all the words in the file. The solution should run in under a second. A competent programmer should easily solve it in under an hour, and produce a program that runs in under half a second.

My record in C# is 0.2s. Fastest is a C++ solution in ~0.13s.

Belgarath
Feb 21, 2003

Paolomania posted:

Sounds to me like he wants the set of words in the dictionary such that the set contains more than one word, all the words in the set are spelled with the same set of letters (are anagrams), the anagrams are of length as long or longer than the length of the words in any other set of anagrams ("has the longest anagram"), and the set contains more words than any other set of anagrams of the same length ("is the largest set of words").
This is exactly it.

I should have been a little clearer in my explanation.

Belgarath
Feb 21, 2003

shrike82 posted:

I've noticed that UK posters ITT seem to throw out 10-20K GBP as standard starting salaries across the pond. Is that for real? That seems ridiculously low to me.

When I got my first real programming job after Uni, I started on £15.5k. That was a near five years ago. Gone through acquisition and a couple of promotions since then, but I still earn a loving lot less than I should.

You're right though: it is ridiculously low. Starting salaries for Graduates (outside London) seems to average at about 18k these days; with enough experience to shoot for Junior, you'll get a little more.

Some of my ex-work mates are now contractors, and earn an absolute ton of money. One of them has just started a vacation, next contract starts in January. He's gonna snowboard and get drunk for three months, because he can, the oval office.

Belgarath
Feb 21, 2003
I had an interview for a new job yesterday. I'd already got through a telephone interview, and I had a two-hour face-to-face interview, with a technical test at the end. The interview portion was fairly technical and took up most of the time. The test at the end was fairly easy I thought, design a basic database structure for a pizza ordering app, and write some lovely Linq in a C# console app.