Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

A quick gank from the dying 'how do i pay people' thread, this youtube is relevant re: employee motivation and performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

You don't put food on the table or a roof over your head by telling the CEO he's overpaid.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Enderzero posted:

True, though in buying in like a sniveling coward you are also hastening your eventual inability to put food on the table when the CEO gets rid of your job in the name of quarterly earnings. Ok, but where does it end? "You don't put food on your table by complaining that the CEO hit and run someone in your family."

But whatever, I'm not going to argue labor issues with technical people. Back to shiny distractions, ignore the sinking ship.

If you can afford to pass a job over, you have the option of seeking out organizations which you feel will be more likely to treat you how you want to be treated. Hell, I've turned down jobs for that very reason.

The fact of the matter is the only leverage you have over them is denying them the privilege of your efforts.

I think this is a very relevant point for an interview thread, in that it's important to remember that so long as your skills are in demand and you aren't going to starve anytime soon, the interview should be as much about gauging whether or not the company is the right fit for you as it is convincing the company you're the right fit for it.

unixbeard posted:

We have also basically just gone through the 2nd great depression so don't let recent experience color your view too much.

you seem to have mixed up your tenses

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

unixbeard posted:

oh, really? I went to school when they were experimenting with not teaching grammar so I have no idea.

lol. I was just referring to the fact that the economy is still hosed hosed hosed regardless of whether the DJIA or GDP numbers are increasing, so it's more like 'we're still in the 2nd great depression'.