Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frightened goat
Aug 9, 2003

If your goat doesn't look like this then you are doing something wrong
I'm about to get an applied math degree with a decent GPA from a pretty reputable school and I can program pretty well (I would guess just as well as most CS majors here, fwiw) plus I have a couple of small projects under my belt. Let's say I want to apply to programming jobs -- how should I best leverage (god, I hate that word) my math degree? I understand that math skills aren't really that important for most programming jobs, but there's probably a couple of niches mentioned in this thread out there like numerical analysis/simulation, which I've done lots of, as well as high performance computing etc., where they could come in useful. Any suggestions?

Also, are there any good books/textbooks/resources out there that I can read up on to fill in the gaps in my CS knowledge, plus not come off as a relative schmuck in interviews?

frightened goat fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU