Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
What's your question? You seem to have identified the parts of your internship that were instrumental in your own success. You'd know better than the rest of us how, in your current role as a full-time employee familiar with the team and environment, you can effectively provide those things for the younglings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Kephael posted:

My Bloomberg recruiter has been responsive, new grad TC there is around $190k, and I have heard it's a nice place to work (good wlb). I would only work at a FAANG/Unicorn/Big N/Prop trading firm over them so they are easily better than 99.5% of all employers.

You don’t even work there yet and it’s already better than 99.5% of all employers based on your small subset of places you would deign to work? Must be some fabulous recruiting :rolleye:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
That NSF thing doesn’t look out of line for most intern resumes I’ve seen that fluff up classwork. At least there’s supposedly code available. What about it made your bullshit meter go off?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

sterster posted:

Ya know I agree. But when I was job hunting Garmin near me request 3.5+ gpa in their requirements. Made me question it for a bit.

Speaking specifically about Garmin, their GPA “requirements” are fluid depending on experience though I’m not really sure where the cutoffs are. I didn’t have my GPA anywhere on my resume or in my online application when I applied two years ago, but I had twelve years of experience under my belt and they didn’t even ask. Now I’m a senior firmware engineer in their Fitness group despite having graduated college with a sub-3 GPA. It’s fun seeing the look on my coworkers’ faces if they ever find out :v:

Point is, even if some place *claims* to care drop an application anyway. It’s always worth a shot!

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Pollyanna posted:

I worked at a place that drug tested and they really loving sucked. Red flag IMO.

As a counterpoint, I got drug tested when I started at Garmin in 2017 because of FAA certification and government contracts and Garmin doesn’t really loving suck. Sometimes that’s just how the law works in a particular field, which makes it not a “red flag” but the cost of taking that job. Weigh your personal ethics accordingly.

If the company doesn’t have a federally or otherwise legally mandated reason to drug test and they do anyway then yes they’re likely pricks and probably boomers to boot.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

ultrafilter posted:

Dijkstra, but he was wrong. Computation is a physical process and as such the devices used to carry it out and their limitations are an essential object of study.

I don’t think this is a great argument for invalidating that Dijkstra quote. Learning about version control has jack-all to do with computing devices and theoretical limitations and is entirely tangential to learning about things like logic gates and computability theorems.

That is not to suggest that VC isn’t valuable, of course it is, but whether or not it should be taught in a CS program is a never-ending argument on which I officially have no opinion.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Personally I ask the same questions and expect different, or more or less nuanced, responses. The role for which I give interviews has some very specialized requirements (physics and sensor applications). I give the same question to all candidates but I branch off and ask more in-depth aspects depending on their stated seniority and/or how well they do with the question at the start:

What does [this type of sensor] measure?

Okay, you have this sensor in an unchanging environment. What is its readout?

The environment starts to change. How does the readout change?

The sensor starts to change relative to its [already changing] environment. How does the readout change?

The coding question I ask goes the same way. It should be easy to bang out an answer but depending on how that goes I’ll ask follow ups that change the requirements or hit edge cases they didn’t consider up front, etc.

I’ve only had one candidate in months make it all the way through this line of question for the types of sensors we use, and as a bonus he nailed the coding question too. He starts at the end of June :unsmith:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Eezee posted:

Aren't the specifics of how your sensors work something you can learn on the job? Especially if they are 'very specialized' can you really expect applicants to know all about them?

My point is that we don’t expect that of all levels of applicant. For new grads we don’t require that they’ve even heard of it (although if they hadn’t then what they’re doing applying for the position would be a mystery). If they profess little or zero knowledge in the interview that’s fine! We tell them a little about it and see how they can intuit properties from there. Sometimes it goes nowhere, sometimes they think about it and figure it out.

If you’re senior level and professing that you’ve used the sensors before but you can’t tell me what physical property it measures, well, that isn’t good.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

awesomeolion posted:

Is there a code word so they know you're sr? maybe a certain series of winks?

Look at any code they offer you like it was Nazi memorabilia served on a plate of cat poo poo. If they ask you to improve the efficiency of anything you write tell them that there's no time if they want to be first to market, just throw it on some AWS nodes and ship it. If you don't already have PTSD when being told about a company's software development processes and how "They're really Agile!" then you should learn to fake the symptoms or develop some fast.

But really it's this:

awesomeolion posted:

it's the same as usual (don't rush to tell them i'm not a sr or whatever, just do my best with the interview and see what happens?)

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

How do the freemasons and the Rothschild family fit in though?

Google sends a message to the Trilateral Commission when you do a search for those terms and in exchange they make sure the literal entire software industry doesn’t hire you

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just did a general Google Image Search for software engineer resumes and saw a lot of 2-column examples with one side being a bunch of percentage bars around skill sets with maybe some subcategories to them. Is this what the cool kids do now?

I’ve been seeing those a lot on the hiring side too in the past year or so. I have to assume someone is advising new graduates to make those, maybe like some sort of “data visualization” interest. Like everyone else has said it’s awful and it’s an immediate indicator to ask “What does it mean that you’re 75% of Python?” and probe like hell.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Some people put “H1B” and related work authorization language on resumes and applications so if this turns out to be a long-running thing it could happen

Of course people will just write the dumbest poo poo on their resume regardless of logic. I’ve seen “PROUD WHITE US CITIZEN” on a resume. Compared to that a list of vaccinations wouldn’t faze me even a little.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

jabro posted:

Shut the front door. Seriously?

True story. I related this recently over a few posts in the Oldie thread.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

ultrafilter posted:

Level 1 is hourly positions like data center technicians and level 2 is interns and other short-term positions.

This is hardly a universal truth. The career progressions at my company for FTEs start at level 1 and go to up to 5 (6 technically, but that’s like “software engineering principal fellow” for the two people who have been here thirty years and hand-programmed the first units we shipped). Intern positions and hourly positions are not on the same ladder.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Yeah fair enough, though All companies want to ape Google in some way seems to be a universal enough truth to be depressing. I would have guessed that those companies would have started at L3 because “we don’t hire juniors :smug:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
It is like a cancer yes

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Hadlock posted:

This is kind of like hiring a welder, and then wanting to get paid to learn how to weld after they show up to work on their first day

Ah, a comparison to the trades! Occupations famous for…um…entry level candidates who are literally apprentices learning from master crafters on the job. Hm.

Blinkz0rz posted:

If you're hiring out of college (or an intern in college) assume they know nothing because they don't. Your job is to teach them, not to expect their professors to have done the job and get frustrated with them when they can't jump through your hoops.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Absolutely none of that “look how rich I am” post addresses the fact that the price you were paying was insane by any reasonable standard.