Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I know this is the newbie thread and this doesn’t apply directly to the target audience, but putting too much attention on side projects can lead to selecting for privilege

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

OK. How does that help you filter resumes from a stack of 200 when you only have time to interview 20-40?

Random selection

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

While I have a phone number on my resume, I have not had a prospective employer use it in the last 5 years

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Awesome news, my favorite posts are from people that are struggling to choose between two good offers.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Imho there are way too many tech bros that only know how to do tech things and a huge shortage of people that can bring cross-discipline knowledge to the table

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Erwin posted:

If you do that, then congrats - you know way more about how CI/CD actually works than a large portion of professional developers at many organizations. You can demo it in an interview - not every employer will feel that that "counts" as experience, but some good one will somewhere and boom, you have a developer job.

don't even have to demo it, just being able to describe the process and talk about the concepts used in building that is enough to put you at the top of the stack

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

StumblyWumbly posted:

In a better world, knowing pretty much any Python would mean you could get a job updating excel based admin work and just automating everything, even if it does mean you're that 'you should do it in Python' guy

I did this at my last job and constantly fought with our CIO that wanted to get everyone to use Alteryx

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

While there is some overlap IT and programming are different careers and you should pick one to focus on.

If you want to go programming drop the A+ and add freecodecamp or odin project.

If you want to do IT, look at the AWS cloud practitioner certification, CCNA, and/or Security+

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

if you're going down the it route pop in to the it thread to say hi

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I love hearing goon success stories, sucks that your first post got that kind of reaction but you sure showed those nerds.