Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

Jick Magger posted:

This thread could not have come at a better time. I just graduated with a CS degree, and I'm going through the process of getting me resume spruced up. I'm absolutely terrified, but excited because I'll (hopefully) get to do something besides IT crap now.

In the OP you mention knowing how to analyze run-times and similar things for algorithms. My algorithm analysis class was taught by a mumbling Chinese man who couldn't speak English to save his life (the class started with 5 people, ended with me and one other guy :C) So needless to say, I never REALLY learned much about the subject.
Where could I brush up on that?
And, how important is it really to an interview? (I guess that depends on the company)

Books are your friend. Cormen, et al. is usually the standard for algorithms classes ( http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Algorithms-Third-Thomas-Cormen/dp/0262033844/ ) but I also liked this one and found it explained some things more clearly: ( http://www.amazon.com/Algorithm-Design-Foundations-Analysis-Internet/dp/0471383651/ )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Jick Magger posted:

Oh yeah, like the algorithms book I used for that class... I forget that I have those sometimes :saddowns:

Hey, at least you passed the test of not selling relevant textbooks back to the bookstore for their relative value as campfire fuel. :v:

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Paolomania posted:

How much will it cost me to buy a few months of being an unencumbered 20-something during my retirement? Oh wait, you can't buy time back.

No, you can't. You also can't get around this being a thing right now:

Chasiubao posted:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/06/16/news/economy/unemployed_need_not_apply/index.htm

It's appalling, but the general gist is, "Well if they were a quality candidate they would already be employed so clearly :derp:"

Pick your tradeoff, but know what you're getting into either way.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

FamDav posted:

I suppose if you want a has-a-pulse test, reversing a string isn't the worst. Realistically you'd give them something more involved as a weeder.

If you want an algorithm question, you could at least ask something more interesting like "Reverse all the words in the string".

It's good to use warm-up questions. They help raise the candidate's confidence so that they're ready to think clearly for the next question and weed out a few bozos as a bonus.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

shrughes posted:

The fact that he'd say he improved the performance of something by 14% is a horrible sign, to me. Why would you bother going through such development effort for such a small gain, on the server side?

There are plenty of places at large scale where a 14% performance improvement isn't just worthwhile, it's huge, and on a critical path where the low hanging optimization fruit has already been picked it can be quite impressive. "Tell me more about this" would be a likely interview question.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Gounads posted:

You can come up with a reason that living anywhere is more desirable.

"People who live in the suburbs are less stressed and more stable."

Make the negotiation about the value you offer, not the costs you incur.

Make the negotiation about whatever will get the desired response from the person you're negotiating with. Don't negotiate against yourself on their behalf by making up a bunch of extra rules ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003

Mystery Machine posted:

Any more criticism would be greatly appreciated. I'm a lot happier with how it is at the moment.

Anyone who says they have "high familiarity with C++" on a resume has just painted a gigantic target on their forehead. You'd better be able to back that up. Interviewers from the big names love running candidates who claim to really know C++ through the gauntlet.