Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
It sounds to me like you'd rather be a business analyst. That's basically all about identifying requirements and designing solutions for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

bobthecheese posted:

In Australia, we don't really have any CS degrees that I'm aware of.

Wha? There's a bunch of places that offer CS degrees in Australia. I went through one at USyd and off the top of my head I know that UNSW and Wollongong have them as well.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
It might not have been offered at the unis you were looking at but they really are quite common. I found this which lists a couple dozen of unis offering them now and I know it was about the same when I was applying for them in the late 90s.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Speaking of being on the other side of the interview, is there a thread around here about tips/techniques when interviewing developers? I've got to do some of that pretty soon and I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on what works and what doesn't.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Thel posted:

Interview stuff

Thanks for that, all very helpful. First interview was yesterday and it was pretty shocking to see someone with nearly a decade of experience fall down so badly on the grid problem you posted above. Hopefully the next ones go a bit better :unsmith:

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
The only use for a low level java cert like that is if you're a company selling development services and you want to be able to say "all our developers are certified by Oracle" to impress a client's senior management. As an individual though you're not going to get any benefit out of it.

Contra Duck fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 15, 2011

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
I too will say 'holy poo poo do not take that unpaid job'.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Your final solution to that is good but your discussion about runtime cost was not. Halfway through your post you seemed to change your definition of n from 'size of string' to 'size of dictionary'. When you were talking about using a map, if you'd kept n as size of string then your cost would be equal to the cost of your hashing+string equality algorithm (O(n)), and when you made your modification to sort the characters then you'd also have to take into account the cost of sorting the string as well (making it O(n log n) most likely).

That said, if you got to that solution without them spoon-feeding you then you've probably done well. If you're still at college then they're looking more for potential than anything else, and being able to construct a solution to a problem like that on the spot indicates that you do have some potential.

Contra Duck fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 21, 2011

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Sab669 posted:

What sort of answers, generally speaking, should one give to the whole, "Where do you see yourself in X years" question?

What you said is fine. The only really bad answer there is "I would like to remain in my cubicle churning out code". Say something that indicates you have ambition, like how you'd like to be leading projects/designing large scale whatevers/involved with clients/managing a team/blah blah blah.

e: For the working from home stuff, there'll probably be an expectation that you're contactable during business hours via phone/email/instant messenger, but you can do your actual work any time you want so long as it gets done on time.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

ManlyWeevil posted:

So overall, not a huge mistake in that it's impossible to get to coding if I dislike it? The recruiters I talked to seemed to think it was relatively easy to switch INTO PM, but not out, and but that may just be the way it's structured.

They're right, it will be difficult. Seeing a resume where a developer has moved into another role (BA, PM, etc) is a red flag because there's a thought that they may have been pushed into those roles because they're not very good at development. That doesn't mean it's impossible to go back, but it might not be easy.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
You can assume the people reading your code are other developers who know the syntax and standard idioms of the language. Comments like these:
code:
                    // Loop
                    while (numberToWorkWith < 10000 && !notAPrime)
code:
            // Declare Vars
            long primeFactorNumber = 600851475143;
            int finalNumber = 0;
Are completely unnecessary and only serve to clutter up the code and make it more difficult to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
An interview (a good one anyway) isn't an exam where you're getting marked right or wrong on each question and interviews are too short to ask questions that are genuinely relevant to the job so small programming puzzles are always going to be the order of the day.

In this case, unless you're applying for a job at the maths factory, they are asking that question specifically because they don't expect you to have memorised the textbook solution and they want to see what you do when you're confronted with an unfamiliar problem. If you manage to put together "sqrt(n) falls between 1 and n" and "binary search!" to get a working solution under the pressure of an interview they're going to be plenty happy with you even though there are faster algorithms out there.