Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Hey guys, couple quick questions here. I'm looking to get back into programming hopefully as a career and have a few questions. I used to code websites for myself and friends using PHP and MySQL so I'm fairly familiar with those (and html and css of course), but I'm kind of lost on which other languages are in demand these days- I was thinking of learning python, then maybe JavaScript or C#? Any advice there?

I've never really enjoyed the web design side of things, I was more of a database nerd, so I'll probably brush up on my mysql as I doubt that's not in demand. Also, I live in western massachusetts where the largest city is Springfield, am I gonna have to move to Boston or something to find a decent job? I doubt there's much of a tech sector here, haha.

I'm sure these questions have been asked many many times here so apologies in advance. I'm sick of working jobs I hate for lovely pay, and I enjoy programming, so why not get paid to do it?

Also. I only have a GED, will this be a problem? Should I be looking into actual schools? I'm pretty good at teaching myself with the internet so hopefully a college diploma isn't 100% necessary.. thanks guys, any help is much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
I hope this is the right thread! Slight necro bump but not sure where else this should go.

Looking to make a career change into IT, could use some advice! I've currently been working as a cable technician for 7ish years, installing and repairing cable TV internet and phone. Tons of troubleshooting, customer service etc. I'm very good at my job and have been #1 in my region multiple years. No certifications and no degree. I've been a general nerd my whole life, building tons of PCs, taught myself HTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL when I was like 13 because it seemed fun, built a fully functional online shop from scratch back in the day, although thinking back it probably had a billion security issues :v:

Here are my questions: Would an A+ still be recommended in 2023/2024? How about going straight to CCNA? My employer offers free CCNA training which I was working on for a bit but drat it's really difficult for me at my current knowledge level.
Does my field tech experience count for anything at all? Could I possibly somehow skip the helpdesk step? If I could *not* take a massive pay cut for a year, that would be fantastic. But I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get out of this job, seriously.

What I'm doing at the moment: still working full time so I'm splitting my free time between studying for the A+ and getting back into programming. Been working my way through code academy and I think it's going pretty well. Getting the passion for coding back.

Any general advice for a career pivot would be very much appreciated!

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm currently evaluating what route of IT sounds most appealing to me. Programming seems cool as a hobby but I'm having a hard time seeing myself doing that 8+ hours a day. Am I correct in thinking that programming jobs lean more towards WFH than IT?
Currently leaning towards the network engineering side of things and as such I have started focusing my studies towards the CCNA.

I'm not in *too* much of a rush, so I'm fine with just getting my knowledge up for a year or so if that's what it takes. I could maybe survive on a $22-24/hr wage but definitely not $18. And definitely not long term.

I would love to transfer within my current company but the closest NOC is halfway across the country, and from what I've heard they aren't very supportive of field techs trying to get out of the field into different roles.

I'm also going to start talking to the IT guys I deal with at my job, try to build some connections, get some advice.

Cheers!

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 18, 2023