Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday

Mobius posted:

No, I really don't want to be a BA. I want to do the requirements and design AND coding. I like coding, I'm just more interested in solving problems with my code than writing "the best code ever." Hence why I don't think I want to be a pure coder.

I work at a small defense contractor company that does full IT for an Air Force squadron and I handle everything about a project start to finish. We only have 3 programmers and we rarely ever collaborate or receive any guidance from anyone except the person/group who wants the application. I write a lot of really specialized tools for people based just on what they want or modify larger existing applications when bugs come up or when changes need to be made. I've also spent a great deal of time upgrading old applications, we have a lot of VB6 stuff that I have spent the past 2 or 3 years upgrading to C#/.NET 3.5.

It's a really good job and I enjoy it here but I could see myself getting really bored with this kind of thing if I wasn't still in school. I am still working on my CS degree and I use my down time to do homework and things like that. I have free reign to do whatever I want and I have very little oversight, so this past week I spent a lot of time programming in a lot more logging functionality into existing applications just because. This job is as challenging as I make it and it works for me right now, but in a few years I will probably want more.

I try to take time to learn new things that aren't required for my job, but enhance my personal knowledge. Lately I have been working on trying to do more data processing with F# (we only use .NET) because I found it really interesting. At the same time, I am really worried about how I would do in a job at a large company. My only experience has been with the company I am with now, and I have always been left to my own devices or with just one person supervising me. I started 5 years ago as a "database developer" where I did a lot of SQL DTS work to produce finance reports and was promoted to a "associate software engineer" at a different base a year later, and I have been here for 4 years now. Even with 5 years of experience, I don't feel like I could compete with someone with a CS degree, although I may feel differently once I earn my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
I have been working as a programmer for over 5 years now and I don't have a degree, but I seriously doubt my ability to pick up another comparably paying job until I get one if I were to be laid off. I also work for a small company creating business-y type winform tools that generate reports and stuff like that, nothing too complicated.

I'm currently on year 6/? of an electrical engineering degree and hopefully I will be finishing it up in the next 2 years.