Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Couple pages of hiring woes.

You talked a lot about finding jobs major cities and having an interest in aerospace yet never mentioned San Diego. That little upjumped surfing city south of you is home to nearly every big defense contractor that makes rockets and airplanes. It is feasible for you and your better half to live in Temecula and commute between the cities until one of you can switch to the other city.

If you’re wanting to break into aerospace/aeronautics, there are some contract companies like Aerotek that specialize in that. To wit, I know 3 coworkers that started with a contractor and ended up getting picked up at the end of their contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
For my job hunt I kept a journal. I would basically spend 1-2 mornings a week searching Glassdoor and skimming postings. If I liked it I favorited it. When I made it through every posting for my locations of choice I would go through and submit applications for each of them.

Love Stole the Day posted:

edit--nevermind

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Thank you for reminding me why I don't normally share my irl situation on the internet. Since you don't want the Newbie Programming Interviews/Get A Job Megathread to be tainted by my pity party, I'll do you a favor and help you out.

I wasn’t aware you were still in Korea. If you weren’t such a weird goober we could have networked while I was still there. I’m still active in a kakao chat with developers who live in Korea. When it came time for me to apply to positions in the US while still being over in Korea, those friends served as references. It was also nice to have a network of people I could ask in person about programming questions. If you don’t have a kakao programming chat and want to get to know others, let me know.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Scorpio posted:

I've been trying to upgrade my resume recently to land a software engineering job, and I want to start contributing to open source projects. Firefox seems to be the biggest project that comes to mind, but the code-base is absolutely immense (it took 2+ hours to compile on my laptop). It does seem to have an active community that's very friendly to beginners, though. Are there other opensource projects that are a bit smaller/more manageable that I could contribute as a someone who's somewhat familiar with C++?

I’m not sure if it’s smaller but KDE has an active community.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Uhh Nope posted:

Looking for some help with my resume for general Full Stack Developer or Front End Developer job applications.

I looked at a bunch of job listings for these roles which looked like a good fit for me and wrote down all the stuff they're asking for collectively:

So I targeted my resume towards these expectations. Here it is (screencapped because Google Docs won't let me share publicly w/ comments...):

https://imgur.com/a/v8BfrYJ

Thanks in advance!

Your resume is nearly two full pages. Have times changed that that’s allowed now? In a few different fields I’ve been under the impression that the standard is one page because people who need to read the resumes will just skip the two page resume from one person and read one page resumes from two people.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Vincent Valentine posted:

Then I post on these forums and I realize I'm incredibly loving dumb and I'm just a big fish in a small pond and now i'm terrified of jumping jobs because the only reason I'm so successful here is because everyone else is worse here, exclusively.

I think almost everything I've posted in the front-end web dev thread has been proven wrong almost instantly and it keeps me up at night.

You should be excited not terrified! You have learned there’s so much more you don’t know! Think of how much more stronger you’ll be once you gain that knowledge!

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Moto42 posted:

So, let’s say you’re applying for your first , junior dev position. Would that depend or would ( as I suspect) a case of being so low on the totem pole that companies just don’t help relocate in that case?

Even as a junior dev there should be a relocation bonus. Current company offered to move me from Arizona to Southern California.

It was distributed on my second or third pay day, and was taxed. So if you’re planning on getting a lump check before day 1, alter those plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Oh wow congrats! I'm glad everything worked out for you! That :10bux: has got to be the best investment you've ever made, ever.