Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
All I see is people talking about CS degrees and almost no mention of Software Engineering degrees, which is what I'm getting. My college offers CS as well but I shouldn't have any trouble landing a job with a sweng degree right? I feel like I'm pretty qualified.

fwiw the school is Penn State

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Otto Skorzeny posted:

How does the Sw. Eng. degree at Penn State differ from the CS degree? There are folks out there wary of sweng degrees because at some places they take time away from necessary foundational coursework and rigor in general to focus on essentially religious issues like methodologies and OO dogma or whatever, but that might not be the case in the land of Joe Pa.

We have almost all of the same computer-based foundational courses and I think the sweng guys are expected to take more physics and a few intro business/econ classes while the cs guys just go crazy on math. Upper level stuff seems to be either broad project design and architecture theory, nitty-gritty QNX C programming or software testing, while the CS guys get into more hardcore databasing and web-dev technology, which we only touch on. We're also expected to know the basics of circuit design and architecture although I doubt I'll ever use any of that once I'm in the Real World.

We're also both expected to be proficient at algorithms analysis and data-structures.

Sorry if that's jumbled up, there's a ton of overlap between the two of us. I guess the tl;dr is swengs put more emphasis on project design and the process of making a full-fledged program with a team with lots of emphasis on proper documentation and planning, while the cs concentrates more on a wide variety of fields and high-level math.

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 17, 2011

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Pweller posted:

My impression is that a Software Engineering degree will have a heavier focus on actual software development, methodologies, design patterns, maybe using particular frameworks and languages. Whereas CS leans more towards theory, calculus, statistics, algorithms, etc.

Pretty much, yeah.

quote:

Unless there is a SE program that is part of an actual Engineering faculty, which I've never heard of. Seems that area is covered by Computer Engineering, which shares many courses with CS but with more focus on electronics and hardware, and other engineering coursework.

These are my impressions from Canada though. I wouldn't be at all surprised if CS, CE, and SE all mean totally different things from region to region. Your SE program description sounds like you shouldn't have any problems at all.

It's ABET accredited so I guess I'm good.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Cheston posted:

:toot:

I just got an incredibly respectful offer from a company in Boston! The phone screening and on-site stuff went extremely well! Thank you, thread. Lurking in you doesn't make dreams happen, but it definitely helps.

Respectful for where you live now or respectful for Boston? Remember that's one of the most expensive cities on the east coast right now.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

I'm sitting in google lobby waiting for recruiter now. I think i'm gonna regret not coating my entire body in antiperspirant. Here goes first interview of my life.

Oof. They can be pretty tough interviewers in general let alone for a first timer. Good luck. Just pretend that they're classmates asking for homework help.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Spiritus Nox posted:

So I graduated from college yesterday with my shiny new Comp Sci degree and, while I have some plates spinning, I don't have a job yet. I was thinking I'd study up on web development, since we did almost none of it in my curriculum and it seems like the sort of thing that both constitutes a gaping hole in my knowledge base and shouldn't be excessively difficult to get a basic competency in. At first blush,The Odin Project seems like a good place to start, but I was wondering if anyone on here had any feedback on that site or recommendations of other places I might look for free/cheap resources on web development.

Have you not had any internships or gone to any job fairs yet? The fact you're graduating without a job already lined up is kind of odd.

To be helpful yeah that site should be fine but just be aware that most shops use c# or Java so always try to frame anything you learn into either or both of those languages.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Spiritus Nox posted:

I just need to get my foot in the door and get some experience at a place that isn't lovely.

Don't hold your breath on that whole 'isn't lovely' part. Unless you get really lucky your first job or even jobs will probably be crap. Finding a good employer is a skill in of itself and being able to spot red flags during an interview is something that only comes with experience. Most entry-level jobs have very limited autonomy and you'll generally be seen as disposable. Half because you won't be allowed to do anything besides grunt work and half because they expect you to pick up and quit after a year or two anyways.

So yeah, just don't be too picky or get your hopes too high when getting started and you'll do fine. Once you have a few years under your belt you'll have a much clearer vision of not only what work you want to do but the exact work place you want to do it in.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Ithaqua posted:

Do you mean "working remotely for an organization" or "working remotely as a contractor"? I did both a few years back (I work for a consulting organization, and many of my clients are remote). I highly recommend it.

• Invest in a good, comfortable headset because you will be using it a lot.
  • For longer-term projects, visibility is key. Set up a backlog for the project and keep it updated. I recommend Visual Studio Online, but I'm also biased because I do a lot of consulting in that arena. Your clients should be able to see what's going on with their project and the progress you're making without bugging you for status updates via email.
  • Communicate early and often. Use some sort of IM software so your clients can contact you without emails or phone calls. Respond to IMs in a timely fashion.
  • If you're solo, get comfortable with managing client expectations and learning to say "no" nicely. I'm sure there are boilerplate "statement of work" documents out there. Get everything agreed upon and signed prior to starting work. Deliver exactly what's in the SOW. If they start to ask for things not in the SOW, see "managing client expectations" and "learning to say 'no'".
  • Be flexible. But not too flexible. Again, see "learning to say 'no'". Like, I won't bill a client if they have questions or need a little help for like 30 minutes or so after an engagement. It's not a big deal and it makes them happy. Some people try to take advantage of that.
  • If you're juggling multiple clients at once, make them aware of how much time you have available to devote to their projects. I've done alternating days for 2 week iterations before, which worked out well. Both clients get some stuff every week, and it balances out in the end. Don't overbook.
  • Set up a quiet work area at home. If you don't have a spare bedroom to use as office space, you will be at a major disadvantage. Some people recommend having a totally separate work area from their personal PC area, but I don't bother.
  • Along those lines, minimize distractions. My girlfriend lives with me and is often home during my working hours, so we have a general understanding of "disturb all you want, but don't get pissed if I'm busy". If she comes in and starts talking to me and I'm focusing on something, I'm free to just grunt and wave her off in a "gently caress off" fashion. There are no hard feelings; it's understood that it's akin to her sending me a text message when I'm at the office and me not answering immediately. If I am on a call with a client, she knows not to bug me unless there is human blood or fire involved.
  • I haven't had a problem on this front, but other people who do the same thing have mentioned that they have issues with work/personal time boundaries. If that's you, then set working hours for yourself and adhere to them. Say, "I will work from 8 am to 5 pm, with an hour lunch break" and then actually do that. Some people find it's helpful to actually get dressed for work; I am not one of them. It's easy to get into a groove and not stop working until midnight because you're just "a few minutes" away from being done for 6 hours. Conversely, it's also easy to say "I'll get started in a few minutes" until noon, while drinking coffee and loving around on the internet. Set your work hours to whatever you want and your clients are comfortable with, but stick with them.
  • On the other hand, don't feel compelled to stay "in work mode" just because in an office you'd be expected to be there until 5 pm. If I had a really productive day and I'm done at 3 pm, I stop working. I keep an eye on my IMs and emails, but I don't feel obligated to pretend to be productive for an extra 2 hours.
  • Enjoy the benefit of mid-day naps and the ability to run errands in the middle of the day. The first time you realize that people are staring at you like you're a homeless person because you ran out to the grocery store to get milk at 1 pm on a Thursday wearing your pajamas with a week of beard, it's a magical experience.
  • Writing off "home office' on your taxes is extremely difficult to do and not get audited.
  • Get your employer to pay for your internet and cell phone if possible.
  • Shower every day. Or at least every other day. It's easy to fall into bad hygiene habits when you're alone in your gooncave.
  • Exercise. You'll be even more sedentary than usual. You'll be reclaiming hours of your day by not commuting, use some of that reclaimed time to exercise. Note: I have failed utterly at this.
  • Be aware that if you make this change in your working life, you will have a very difficult time changing jobs. Going back to an office environment and commuting again will make you want to kill yourself, and realize that you're basically getting several thousand dollars a year extra in reclaimed commuting/dining costs (I did the math, it works out to roughly $10,000 a year for me, but I also live in the middle of nowhere with an insanely long commute to basically everywhere). There's also the intangible of "several extra hours a day". It's impossible to quantify and hard to attach a dollar value to it.

That's everything I can think of right now.

Only thing I can add to this: Force yourself to get out of the house on a regular basis where you can hang out with other people. Join some sort of social club or sport or ANYTHING. It's very very easy to fall into a rut where you have zero human contact for weeks or even months at a time and you suddenly find yourself with a crazy case of cabin fever.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Salary thread seems to be dead so I'll post it over here: http://www.datamation.com/careers/it-salary-2015-developers-to-help-desk-to-project-managers-1.html

Wondering what you guys think about this. Accurate for you? Asking for a raise tomorrow?

I'm in the 'asking for a raise asap' camp :(

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Cryolite posted:

I was trying to come up with an answer to a potential interview question along the lines of "what's an example of something you'd prefer to use a tree for over a hashtable" and realized I'd say "something that can't be hashed but is comparable". However, I can't think of a good example of something that you absolutely can't hash but you could compare (or would just be better to compare). Are there good examples of this? I realize it's a vague terrible question and answer, but if you get the gist of the idea do you know of any examples of things you would prefer to throw into a tree over a hashtable when needing to do quick lookups?

Anything that naturally has a lot of parent-child dependencies is better suited for a tree structure while things that are largely independent are better with hash tables. So say you have a page layout that has lots of sub-components recursively going down and want to be able to easily toggle settings on them. You could have a tree that stores read-only vs. read-write and could do things like set the root as read-only while one of the leafs is set to read-write. So effectively on the page only that child has read-write privileges. I'm only using this as an example because I ran into this exact scenario at work today but they implemented it exactly backwards :mad:

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 2, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
As long as you're clear with them that you're not available until you graduate: now

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Pollyanna posted:

Christ almighty, gently caress that. I would go insane if that was my commute.

Another thing I don't like is that I'm way too anxious to ask for advice from my manager-slash-mentor because I feel like it'll frustrate them further somehow and they'll think I can't learn. Just more venting, but sighhhhh.

I had an internship where I was getting these types of mixed messages and felt terrified of doing anything. They ultimately ended up firing me and I never thought I'd be so happy to be fired. Went right back to my old boss who hired me immediately + a raise from where I left.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, don't take that job. I guarantee you it will suck. "Ability to travel" is a big red flag in any job posting.

Not necessarily. If it's an actual consulting position it could be a pretty decent gig. They typically pay more though because not only are you constantly traveling but you have to eat any poo poo a client strains onto your plate with a big grin on your face. It's a great job though if you're the type of person who meshes with it. It'll be kryptonite if not, though.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Tech is already a fairly internationalized industry so any companies that toss your resume without further consideration are probably places you don't want to work for anyways.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Space Whale posted:

Is there a good way to get a feel for the strength of a market besides indeed's count-of-jobs-with-keyword or Robert Half's salary guide by zipcode or metro area?

I just found out a few weeks ago that the dept of labor publishes statistics on all sorts of professions and allows you to read individual reports based on a single metropolitan area. Their numbers are pulled from actual company reporting as well so they're pretty accurate.

http://www.bls.gov/bls/blswage.htm

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Siliziumleben posted:

Is it a good idea to upload my résumé to sites like CareerBuilder and let the IT recruiting companies (CyberCoders, Robert Half etc.) contact me? From what I've read online, those companies' recruiting practices are shady at best, and I'm going to end up with a lot of irrelevant spam mail / calls. But I'm also desperate to find a job, so...

The biggest red flag is after sending a recruiter a PDF of your resume they'll request it in .doc form. That's when you stop communicating with them. Some recruiters can me really great though. Just be aware that 95% of them are bottom-barrel-scraping scumbags.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Tunga posted:

It's not like they know what you earn right now. Keep asking for more money until it's either worthwhile or they refuse.

Pretty sure asking for even more money after they agree to a previous number is a way bigger dick move than just saying 'This work doesn't sound interesting'

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Maybe I'm misreading what you wrote but I read that as just coming back to them with an even bigger number every time they say yes until they say no.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Siliziumleben posted:

Should I even bother applying for a position where I meet all of the "minimum", but none of the "preferred" qualifications?

Most of these are written by HR who have no idea what they're actually writing. Go for it.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But what if they ask for 8 years experience and previous history as a senior developer? Do I just send a resume anyway?

Also, as a person graduating with a CS major pretty soon what sorts of jobs should I focus most heavily on?

Yeah like the above said your focus should be on lower 'ranked' openings but that's simply because you have a higher chance of hearing back from them. If you have the time it can't hurt to toss your hat in. Worst case scenario you get to experience a grueling interview and know what your objectives should be once you land a job more at your level.

I only have a few years experience and have interviewed for senior / lead positions. One of them I actually came really close to getting the job because they were desperate, but now I know what companies are looking for from senior engineers.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Space Whale posted:

What's a good ballpark for coming up with contract rates? I got suckered into taking lowball contracts for par with a salary for a long time, and now I wonder if it's 2x, 1.5x, 1.25x, or whatever.

It really depends on the work you're doing, who your client is, and if you're working solo. Also you need to know how much value you're creating for your client and how much they'll be willing to pay for that value / what your competition will charge.

So for example right now I'm working for a company that makes niche software that adds tremendous value to the companies that use it and we have no realistic competition. My billing rate is ~4x what they're paying me, probably closer to 3x when you include bonuses, healthcare, etc. But when I was working a contract for the federal gov't with a clearance with a fortune 100 tech company I was billing at about 7.5x. If you work in something more competitive, with clients not willing to shell out as much you'll probably be charging 1.5-2x.

Ultimately there's no easy way to answer that question. I suggest lots and lots of research into your competition

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 22, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Space Whale posted:

Basically the company that wanted me to take this Codility test will probably not speak to me anymore. The division by nRepeats!*otherRepeats seems a bit hard to just come up with when it's one of four questions to do in 90 minutes.

Expecting me to just poo poo that out at the drop of a hat when I haven't been in a math class in 3 years, done anything at all like this in 3 years, and my experience clearly states I've been a web dev for 3 years seems a bit ridiculous. I'd rather have someone collaborate with me like every other programming tes to nudge me if I brainfart; then if they want to condescend at least I get to hear a human's voice instead of a machine pissing me off and then someone scoffing at some test results.

I basically just want to punch a baby. I wonder if I'm just a really good savant or imposter. I don't really /care/ as long as I keep getting paid but whatever.

Unless these guys explicitly said they were looking for someone who was good with statistics in the job description whoever set up the interview is just doing this so he can smugly sit back at how superior he is to all the candidates. Probably someone you don't want to work with.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Space Whale posted:

Basically Hired.com is what you make of it and I'd say it's roughly on par with stackoverflow, though so far I've had two companies reach out to me and being told "MY AVAILABILITY IS COMPLETELY WIDE OPEN" makes them just wring their hands instead of say "ok call you at $TIME."

The correct answer to this question is: 'I can make time if I need to I just need at least 24-hours notice' or something like that.

edit: vvv his is better vvv

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 22, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah as someone who's taken a counter-offer after putting in their two weeks: don't take a counter-offer after putting in your two weeks.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Wow the newb-help thread is picante today

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Just got called in for a chat with my boss to discuss our department post-reorg. He wanted to know if I'd be ok with taking a few projects on my own when they come through next year. Hell yeah.

Thanks a bunch, job-thread.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

pr0zac posted:

Not really a newbie question, but the conversation in here is already sort of around this so figure I'll ask for suggestions here.

I'm in the process of interviewing for new jobs, in large part because I'm looking to move out of the bay area and want something that will let me work remotely. If I'm completely honest though, my preference would be to stay in my current position and just convince them to let me work mostly remotely.

Anyone have suggestions on having that conversation? I feel like having leverage in the form of other offers with remote work would be necessary, but I also don't want to make the "take a counteroffer" mistake.

You could just bring it up with your boss that lots of other companies allow remote work and that you're interested in the same. Dunno how things work at Facebook but I feel like you're in a 'if you have to ask' sort of situation.

We have 3/4s of our guys remote and will probably be hiring early next year if you're interested.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Doghouse posted:

Also they have 2 weeks sick days. I've never had sick days, how do those even work usually? Do people just use them whenever but feel guilty about it?

Just keep in mind that there's nothing wrong with taking 'mental health' sick days. Those days you wake up and absolutely can't be assed to do anything are valid excuses.

It helps if you're one of those freaks like me who just never gets sick.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Guess there's something in the water because this just came in this morning:

quote:

Hi,

It is with mixed emotions that I send this note. I wanted to take a moment to let you know that I am leaving my position at $company,
with a smile on my lips and tear in my eyes.

Not only have I enjoyed working with you, I have learned how a good IT Department could be fun.
Thank you for all the support, insights, and help you have provided me during my tenure. Don't be surprised to get some telephone calls
from me, asking for advice and perhaps a sympathetic broad shoulder. If I can return any of the many favors you have done,
all you have to do is pick up the telephone and dial ***-***-**** or send me an email: $name@yahoo.com.

I truly appreciate having had the opportunity to work for such a fine organization. I wish you and the organization continued success.
Special Thanks to $coworker, $coworker, $coworker, $coworker and the entire IT staff for their exemplary support.
My best wishes to you all, always.

Sincerely.

$worked_here_for_less_than_a_year

If you're going for an Oscar you gotta be more subtle about it

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Analytic Engine posted:

Last minute question (meeting in one hour)

I just completed my first year at work and received an email from my boss. He wants to discuss compensation, but I'm not sure what to say. I was already planning on applying for a new position internally or going to another company as I feel my compensation is at least $25K too low (I work in Manhattan for a multibillion conglomerate). If he suggests 5% or something I will take it, but it feels like a waste of a unique opportunity to discuss my ambition with him. Or maybe I should just shut up and wait for my original timeline (3 months from now)

If he's bringing compensation up unprompted I'm gonna guess that's a good sign. If it's a frank convo I'd be upfront with your expectations but don't mention leaving the company.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

androo posted:

I hope I'm not spending most of my time wrapping my head around their methods and a super-dated web framework.

lol I've got bad news for you. Welcome to tech, kid.

Anyways you should expect your first job or two to be garbage. Just use it to do a good job and gain field experience. Pay attention to things that you like and don't like, and why that is. When you hop jobs you'll be able to work towards what you want to do while minimizing the bullshit you can't stand. You might be one of the lucky ones who nails it first try but don't get your hopes up.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
If they're a founder they most likely have a long-term vision and eagle-eye view of the company. Try to focus your questions on big things like where the company will be headed over the next 3-5 years, any big risks/opportunities on the horizon, etc.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Tomahawk posted:

How easy/hard is it to jump to different languages in your career? I started off doing Rails stuff but my first job is doing PHP and it's really icky and I am find myself everyday wishing to go back to Rails or something more exciting/relevant.

I still can't shake the feeling that I shot myself in the foot with this job even though I don't completely hate the tools I'm working with and my company is pretty cool.

I'm sure there's a term for this.

Is trying to pick up some contract work in another technology a viable route?

Contract work will be tough because they pretty much expect you to be working day one. Full-time jobs will be more forgiving as switching languages really isn't a big deal as long as you understand the fundamentals.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Someone repost that article about how in gathering a skill in the workplace your feelings of capability follow an oscillating curve that gradually tracks upwards. I have no clue what to google to find it.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

No but that's a good one as well. This was essentially a graph of time vs. skill and the overall trend is as you work in an industry your skill gradually increases. However there was also a 'perceived skill' line laid over top of it and it followed a sine wave that tracked the overall skill curve. So essentially you're constantly oscillating above and below the 'actual' line and as such have an almost manic-depressive cycle where you go a month of feeling like you're top dog and owning the hell out of your job and then collapse into a month of despair and 'oh my god I have no idea what I'm doing they're going to fire me shiiiiiit' and then back again

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

cheese eats mouse posted:

What is it with recruiters asking for your range and when it's 10K under your asking price they still want to throw you into the ring? A recruiter wants to put me in for a job that's 5k lower than what I'm currently making and it's a way longer commute(additional 30+ miles a day) so more gas, wear and tear on my car, time, which would make want to ask for a little more to cover those expenses.

Should I even keep going through with the process if I won't be able to negotiate later?

For context I'm currently a contractor at a very large fortune 500 and this is an application to a small agency.

All Recruiters Are Scum Until Proven Otherwise.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Swit I think you're having a stroke please get to a hospital

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Pollyanna posted:

Finally got an offer. I had an interview this morning that apparently went really well, and they offered me a position later in the afternoon. I had just finished interviewing with another company and you know what? I took it. I took the offer for a position where I do Clojure and Ruby dev with a boost in pay at a well-established company where they are just as excited as I am for me to be there and I feel perfectly goddamn happy with it.

This would be the part where I'd whinge and fetter over getting the "right" job or the "best" job but honestly right now I'm just glad this poo poo is over. I don't even care if four or five of you suddenly convince me they're actually gonna drug me and steal my kidneys when I show up for my first day, I just want to keep moving forward.

Christ. It's over. Thank loving god.

Don't want to seem like I'm pissing on your parade but don't let your guard down just yet. Don't believe anything is firm until the first check hits your bank account. You're 95% there though, congrats

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Stop responding to him, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Does anyone have any experience with sales engineering? I've been in consulting since I graduated 3.5 years ago and from my very limited knowledge seems like something that would be more up my alley. Asking because an old classmate just hit me up today wondering if I'd be interested.