Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefar
Jul 2, 2005

Gothic gaming since before it was cool.

shodanjr_gr posted:

I personally loved the experience. It was very casual. You get interviewed by developers themselves, not some HR crew, at their offices (and over lunch with one of the guys).

Really nice people and most of them were just brilliant!

The key is (as with most professional interviews I guess, although I have nothing else to compare against) that you actually TALK and discuss the problem at hand extensively before and while you are tackling it. The impression that I got was that if you fail a tough question, you can still be very much in the running if you've put across the impression that you actually know HOW to tackle problems, rather than memorize and recall solutions from memory.

Plus discussing the problem and probing about potential issues will help the interviewer realize that you can be a team player and not some gun-ho pro-coder guy who just works by himself and can't socialize.

This is pretty much my experience with the Microsoft interviews as well. I have interviewed 3 times in the last year with MS alone so I can also answer questions regarding their new grad interview process.

One interesting thing I got to experience through the process was two different styles of organizing the interview day.

The first two times I was in Redmond to interview it was the standard Microsoft style interview. 5 rounds of 1 on 1 with you being moved around to various interviewer's offices.

The third time I was down for a college recruitment "event" which was much different. They had all of the candidates picked up from the hotel together and taken for breakfast before the interview day began. After the breakfast we (about 12 people, and a mix of Bachelors, Masters and PhD students) were gathered in a conference room with a pair of recruiters. The people conducting the interviews would then come to the door and pickup a student to be interviewed one by one.

Once you were picked up it was the standard interview for about an hour after which you were led back to the conference room. There was a short break where the students could get a drink, make nervous chit chat, etc. Then a different interviewer would come to grab you and the process began again. This went on 4 times, after which the group was taken for lunch and a tour of the Microsoft campus.

After the lunch the results of the interviews were revealed. This was a particularly exciting experience. The candidates were once again gathered in a conference room (different than the first one). One by one the recruiters would come and select someone to tell them their results. This was a ruse. Anyone selected was told they didn't get the job and put on a bus to be sent back to the hotel. As this went on you were left in a room with people getting more and more nervous as the others kept disappearing. Finally once they had removed everyone who wasn't getting an offer they came back and told the remaining people that they had gotten a position.

It was a very surreal experience, satisfying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefar
Jul 2, 2005

Gothic gaming since before it was cool.

Cicero posted:

Why did you interview in person 3 separate times?

This is all based on the feedback from the recruiters so they may have been lying to me about all of this. I have no reason to doubt them though as everything seemed to check out with what they were saying.

First time down I didn't do great, but based on the feedback from the interviewers the recruiters thought it would be worthwhile having me interview a second time.

The second time things went great, but I was told that the team I interviewed with didn't have headcount to hire anyone else. This seemed a bit odd, but what could I do. The recruiters said that they would bring me out again the next chance they had.

In the end everything seemed to work out as I was brought down a third time and managed to get an offer. This being that odd communal interview thing I described before.