Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Skandranon posted:

They don't have much in common structurally. Java is purely OO based, C++ has objects bolted on, and Python only kinda. Java is compiled to bytecode to run on a VM, C++ is compiled to the specific OS/CPU architecture, and I don't know what Python does.

Maybe it's just a scattershot and hoping to pick up someone that has at least one of those three.

Just want to chime in and say gently caress python's self._boogers __init__ __str__ nonsense.

It was a nice program to the basics of computer functions, but once it gets in to OOP, it falls apart. It made so much more sense within 4 chapters of Beginner's Java.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm in kind of a pickle, and I don't know where else to ask this, so if this is a bad post, let me know.

I'm in IT and I'm about to get my job "transitioned" out of the country. I've got a nice long bunch of months before we completely transition away. I'm clueless about what to do.

I have a minor in CS from UT, aka Software Dev for dummies, and I started the WGU Software Dev course years ago. I might be embarassingly close to finishing it, but I washed out from a combination of lack of funds, taking too many goddamn Database classes, and making money in IT.

I don't really want to get back in to IT, even though I could probably make plenty of money at it. I'm going to have a nice little severance package, so I can afford to take several pathways. What would you do?

A. Go back to WGU and finish the degree
B. Take a Full-Stack bootcamp (i'm out of the door in 7 months)
C. Go back to working IT, you scrub, you never had the makings of a varsity athlete

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

leper khan posted:

What problem are you trying to solve? Confidence in your own capabilities? Response rate to job applications? Ability to get through an interview loop? Money in the door?

Where to put the time and money for the next 7 months.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

leper khan posted:

Sure but what outcomes do you want?

Dream scenario, entry level software development position (I live in Austin).

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Do you have a degree already? How close are you to finishing the WGU software dev track?

Liberal Arts degree. CS Minor. I think 2-3 semesters left at WGU? They don't let you look at your student portal if you aren't enrolled.