Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
I interview a lot of new college grads, so let me offer one little piece of advice about interviewing and resumes.

Don't overestimate what you know. Admitting that you don't know something can be a good thing.

I'll look at someone's resume, and it'll list obvious things like C or C++ as well as less-obvious libraries a lot of the time. If I ask you to rate your ability to write language X on a scale from 1 to 10, you should probably not pick above seven. If you say "oh, I'm an eight or a nine" and then you don't ace my coding question, guess what? You fail. If you say "well, I've used it in some classes, but it's not my primary language, so five," and you do the same thing? Well, were you on the right track in terms of ideas? That might be something I can work with later on.

I never expect new graduates to show up on day 1 and be awesome by day 5 or something like that. On my team, there's going to be at least a month before they can go off and fix bugs without a lot of hand holding (big project, lots of code, lots of nuanced code that interacts with very particular systems, lots of overall organization to learn), and probably three months after that before I can say "go forth and implement this new major feature!" It's okay if you don't know something! We can teach you! What we can't teach you is to not be too scared to admit your shortcomings, and when somebody does that, things get screwed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU