Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I've got a job, but this feels like a newbie question so I figure I'll try it here...

I'm going to my first technical (Java and stuff) conference in a couple weeks. What should I wear/bring/know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

You could also try the "work for a place for ~6-12 months, be really awesome, then tell them you want to be remote" route. It's worked for me in a company that doesn't hire remote people. I didn't go into with that mindset, my wife ended up finding a job several hours away so it was either work remotely or quit, but it might be worth a shot for you.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

HondaCivet posted:

I've never been fired. I stayed at my first job for 2.5 years. My other job was contract and they liked me, they just ran out of money and work for me. I did leave one job after six months because it was a bad fit so that's a strike I guess. Are people really going to hold it against me for relocating for personal reasons? It's nothing to do with the job itself.
It's the standard thing; if you meet one rear end in a top hat during a day he was the rear end in a top hat, if you meet 25 assholes you're the rear end in a top hat. Same with jobs, if you're always quitting after 6 months for personal reasons it's you, if it was just one time it was probably them. People aren't going to hold that against you.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Or to be an easy person to blame when something goes horribly wrong. "Yeah, I was worried about MongoDB, but those drat consultants convinced us all."

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Gounads posted:

Counterpoint: People who schedule 4:00 meetings are assholes.
Counter-counterpoint.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

The requirements are vague now, but I'd bet they'll get much too specific soon enough.

Could spin up a $5/month server on digitalocean, put caddy or nginx on it and sort out firewall rules etc ahead of time.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah I went the CS degree route and there's certainly stuff I don't exactly use regularly, but that knowledge still informs my thought process and helps a ton in some cases.

In hiring, experience and how you do in an interview will almost certainly count for more than your education, but the degree makes getting that initial interview a lot easier. We just hired a guy with no education past high school - but it was super clear he'd built skills through experience and tons of self study.

Is there a particular type of computer touching job you want/think you'd be suited for? Oh, and do you have a non-CS degree currently?

edit: more specifically, I don't think you'd be very limited by not having a degree after 5 or 10 years in the field, assuming you can learn the stuff yourself. Breaking in will be harder though.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 18, 2023

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

prom candy posted:

I just want to add that as a non-degree holder I often feel like the dumbest guy in the SA programming threads. That said I still make six figgies so yknow, whatever.
I have a degree and also feel like this though, so ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Justa Dandelion posted:

Edit:

Lol. The restatement group I work for actually uses scrum practices but only the worst ones.
They're all the worst ones, you'll have to be more specific.