Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.
In Australia, we don't really have any CS degrees that I'm aware of. There's the IT degrees, which I guess are pretty similar, but focus on many separate areas, depending on major (for mine, I majored in Software Engineering, which was documentation, design principals, and project management principals, as well as the actual programming, and some math theory)

There was also Software Engineering degrees which have an extra "Engineering" year, which all engineering courses do.

On top of that, some of the other courses (Electrical Engineering, etc.) also did a number of the same subjects.

From what I gather, CS is largely theoretical (Maths, algorithm design, etc.) with some small focus on actual code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006

Contra Duck posted:

Wha? There's a bunch of places that offer CS degrees in Australia. I went through one at USyd and off the top of my head I know that UNSW and Wollongong have them as well.

May have changed over the last few years, but when I was enrolling for Uni, way back in 03, there wasn't any CS courses that I was aware of. Could be a state thing, too. i think there may have possibly been a CS major that I could have taken in my course, though.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
heh. Only two that I saw in QLD (USQ and UQ). That would be why.

The main QLD/Brisbane unis (Griffith, QUT) don't seem to offer CS courses, but both have various IT courses. Probably all in the name.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006

shrughes posted:

(except when I got my first summer job at the company where my mom worked at, and the next summer job with the LLC of this dude whose dad my dad played golf with, and the summer research thing with professors I knew)

Nepotism is a summer sport.

shrughes posted:

* Protip: write some FOSS.

shrike82 posted:

build a portfolio of projects (e.g. FOSS) on the side.

I think they're telling you to write some FOSS.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Anyway, what the hell is FOSS?

FOSS is Free and Open Source Software, and is generally considered a good way to showcase your skills as a programmer in a way that potential employers can view.

FOSS.