Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

What The Fucktrain posted:

So I played a couple playthroughs right after the release and decided to hold off anymore until plenty of mods came out (this is actually the first PC game I've really played other than poo poo like Age of Mythology). Are there enough mods out that it warrants playing again, or should I wait it out longer for more kickass mods?

You should probably read the OP. I listed about 50 reasons why the game is worth playing again if all you've done is vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Locational Changes, Revisions, and Additions
World of Pain
Adds ~35 completely new dungeons, buildings, and locations to the Mojave, complete with ultra-violence, tons of enemies, and big rewards.
Can't recommend this enough. New Vegas feels too bare and I really missed all the "fight & loot" dungeon action from F3. This brings all that fun back. Some of the stuff is a little odd (cigarette factory built into the side of a mountain?) but it's fun to play which is all that matters.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

^^ poo poo, certainly missed that mod, that does sound incredible.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You should probably read the OP. I listed about 50 reasons why the game is worth playing again if all you've done is vanilla.

Oh yeah, it's just I have no frame of reference for Fallout 3. It feels like it was only just released relative to how long Fallout 3 was out and had mods coming out. I admit I did skim it somewhat, noticing some new additions like the Electro-City mod, but a lot of them I had in my first playthrough. It just seems like 75% or so of those mods were around when I played, but I saw NVSE had come out so I was curious if that meant sooner rather than later there would be when some really expansive and awesome mods would come out :)

edit: quote tags are hard

Karl Sharks fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 28, 2010

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Actually the "misc items as weapons" in the OP has a guitar as one of its weapons, too!

You're the best OP, cream-of-plenty <3

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Gyshall posted:

Do you have a screenshot of that retexture by chance?

Nah, I've been too busy to fire up NV in the past week or two. Just check out the screenshots of the carbon texture on nexus and then picture it without all the text, logos, and barcodes. That's pretty much it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Oh yeah, it's just I have no frame of reference for Fallout 3. It feels like it was only just released relative to how long Fallout 3 was out and had mods coming out. I admit I did skim it somewhat, noticing some new additions like the Electro-City mod, but a lot of them I had in my first playthrough. It just seems like 75% or so of those mods were around when I played, but I saw NVSE had come out so I was curious if that meant sooner rather than later there would be when some really expansive and awesome mods would come out :)

Unfortunately some of the larger mods from FO3 haven't yet made their way over to FO:NV, so while I would normally recommend waiting if something like Mart's Mutant Mod was going to be released in the near future (it isn't), very few of the mods currently require a new game (many of those that require a new game modify DR / DT, which is buggy to add or remove in a pre-existing save.)

I'd honestly recommend starting up with a new overhaul like FOOK or XFO, load up New Vegas Bounties, World of Pain, and WME, and use one of the additional perk mods (like More Perks). Maybe throw a weather mod in there for good measure, since those can make a huge aesthetic change. That'd give you a nice, rounded game to run around in and explore if you were burnt out on Vanilla NV.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

You're the best OP, cream-of-plenty <3

I try :haw:

Fixed, thank you.

VVVVVVVVV

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 28, 2010

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
I mainly lurk the thread (I'm terrible enough not to have finished my vanilla run unfortunately, so I'm attempting to avoid spoilers, no matter how minor) but I thought I'd do a quick post to say thanks to Cream-of-Plenty for updating the recommended stuff. It'll make my next playthroughs all the more enjoyable. A quick heads up though, some of your links have an extra " in them. For the most part, it does nothing, but it does break the Better game Performance link as I found out when attempting to grab it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

ALSO:
Post-1.2 Patch Community Compilation Fixes appears to be a continuation of the Community Compilation Patch made compatible with the 1.2 Patch.

So you know, this has the Distanct Gunfire Sound Fix already in it according to the readme, so you might want to add that info to it's description. No point having multiple ESP files doing the same thing after all.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Unfortunately some of the larger mods from FO3 haven't yet made their way over to FO:NV, so while I would normally recommend waiting if something like Mart's Mutant Mod was going to be released in the near future (it isn't), very few of the mods currently require a new game (many of those that require a new game modify DR / DT, which is buggy to add or remove in a pre-existing save.)

I'd honestly recommend starting up with a new overhaul like FOOK or XFO, load up New Vegas Bounties, World of Pain, and WME, and use one of the additional perk mods (like More Perks). Maybe throw a weather mod in there for good measure, since those can make a huge aesthetic change. That'd give you a nice, rounded game to run around in and explore if you were burnt out on Vanilla NV.

Yeah, just getting a glimpse of NV stuff makes me want to play so bad, but that wasteland defense thing sounds amazing since one of the main mods I wish I could have used with F3 was the one where you built a town. I love building things :3:

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
It's nice to have a new thread.

Anyways, I saw this goofy shark monster on the Nexus frontpage, and that lead me to this strange Norwegian mod. Truly a creature in its own class; an overly ambitious mod that wants to turn Fallout into an Action/RTS, with an alternate reality storyline where the NCR, Enclave, BoS, and the remnants of the European Union are waging war with tanks and mechas, and there's a race of duck aliens with a homeplanet you supposedly will be able to travel to, and the duck aliens and the humans are at war with HR Giger's aliens, and the space ducks have walking pyramid robots.

I just don't know what to say. This is a whole level of weirdness far beyond the conventional "this mod adds in Krystal the Fox and armor from Mass Effect and a gun that plays Prodigy music when you draw it" stuff you see on Nexus. It's baffling.

NovaPolice fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 28, 2010

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Nice OP Creamguy

Also, playable fox race came out last night!

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Finally I can roleplay with full immersion :dance:

I'm kinda disappointed the fox doesn't have tits and a bigger dick but the mod addons are probably underway.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Fewd posted:

Nice OP Creamguy

Also, playable fox race came out last night!

Finally I can roleplay with full immersion :dance:

I'm kinda disappointed the fox doesn't have tits and a bigger dick but the mod addons are probably underway.

Ugh I wish that i didn't know that mod was sexual fetish poo poo because that's actually fairly well done.

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 28, 2010

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

This german dialogue resembles some sort of mental russian roulette. One of these options will exit the conversation, but one of them will activate a brutal furry rape sequence.

Abandon all hope, and click.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ugh can't that guy use his fairly adequate art and modelling skills for good, and not evil?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

NovaPolice posted:

It's nice to have a new thread.

Anyways, I saw this goofy shark monster on the Nexus frontpage, and that lead me to this strange Norwegian mod. Truly a creature in its own class; an overly ambitious mod that wants to turn Fallout into an Action/RTS, with an alternate reality storyline where the NCR, Enclave, BoS, and the remnants of the European Union are waging war with tanks and mechas, and there's a race of duck aliens with a homeplanet you supposedly will be able to travel to, and the duck aliens and the humans are at war with HR Giger's aliens, and the space ducks have walking pyramid robots.

I just don't know what to say. This is a whole level of weirdness far beyond the conventional "this mod adds in Krystal the Fox and armor from Mass Effect and a gun that plays Prodigy music when you draw it" stuff you see on Nexus. It's baffling.

I've been reading through their ModDB page and the whole idea sounds like some sort of strange fever-dream. One of the attached images is a big lovely looking ball in the night sky, and the (I'm assuming) author says, "You can actually travel to that planet, to make it more realistic when travelling, you need to land on that planet (by using controls in spaceship)."

Then he posts a bunch of photographs of German soldiers, what appear to be a couple of close-up shots of some tabletop models, and sketches ripped from a 1980 Battletech-style rulebook. There are duck-people involved, too (like you were saying), but they wear armor that looks suspiciously like Chitin armor from Morrowind.

This guy(s) is out of his loving mind.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
drat, there are already so many awesome mods for this game. I'm mainly using the "ambience" mods (Nevada Skies and Electro-City, which are incredible), but there's just so much awesome stuff.

I'm choosing to ignore the furry garbage.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Fonzarelli posted:

Ugh can't that guy use his fairly adequate art and modelling skills for good, and not evil?

Someone made or ripped that model from the game years ago, these chucklefucks have just been regurgitating it for every game that can be modded since.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Speaking of which, I didn't realize how fun it is to go through the Nexus and grab a bunch of people's armors and throw them together in a single mod tailored to my liking, and then hijack one of their distribution scripts to distribute all of them across the wasteland (since most of them just plop a single set of the armor in, say, Goodsprings, which is no fun.)

It's like modding for dummies.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 28, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Ever since I found Chai's FO3 plasma remodels, I couldn't help but notice how well it makes the plasma pistol and rifle fit in with the plasma weapons New Vegas adds (the Defender and Plasma Caster.) Then I noticed that the aesthetics of the default plasma rifles don't really fit in with any of the other energy weapons. They look cobbled together and accidental--especially the pistol...hell, I'd even go so far as to say that Chai's remodels go along with the recharger weapons, too. :tinfoil:

So I took it upon myself to port this mod over to Fallout: New Vegas and adjust the weapons to meet all of the vanilla criteria. It's not the greatest job in the world, and I'll probably have to pull it down if the author doesn't like what I'm doing (all credit's going to him), nor do I think it works well with WME or other weapon mods. But if you absolutely, positively cannot stand to look at the default plasma weapons, this might tie you over until somebody does something better.

TL/DR: I ported a guy's FO3 mod that replaces the plasma pistol and rifle. I changed the settings to match their vanilla counterparts, so the mod simply replaces the models and nothing more. EASY PEASY!

Get it while it's out there.

EDIT: The pistol texture isn't distorted in the game, I just botched the image scaling a bit.

Plasma Weapons Remodeled

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 28, 2010

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Not bad, I'm not a big fan of the syringe-looking plasma weaponry.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Those are really cool, especially the pistol. Almost enough to make me pick up energy weapons for the first time. Though my biggest beef with FO3/NV plasma weapons isn't their ugly looks, it's their fuzzy projectile and greenish firing effect. I basically always use iron sights and can't see poo poo when firing plasma weapons.

Wouldn't mind a mod that almost completely removes the green firing "cloud" and makes the plasma projectile smaller and more solid.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Ever since I found Chai's FO3 plasma remodels, I couldn't help but notice how well it makes the plasma pistol and rifle fit in with the plasma weapons New Vegas adds (the Defender and Plasma Caster.) Then I noticed that the aesthetics of the default plasma rifles don't really fit in with any of the other energy weapons. They look cobbled together and accidental--especially the pistol...hell, I'd even go so far as to say that Chai's remodels go along with the recharger weapons, too. :tinfoil:

So I took it upon myself to port this mod over to Fallout: New Vegas and adjust the weapons to meet all of the vanilla criteria. It's not the greatest job in the world, and I'll probably have to pull it down if the author doesn't like what I'm doing (all credit's going to him), nor do I think it works well with WME or other weapon mods. But if you absolutely, positively cannot stand to look at the default plasma weapons, this might tie you over until somebody does something better.

TL/DR: I ported a guy's FO3 mod that replaces the plasma pistol and rifle. I changed the settings to match their vanilla counterparts, so the mod simply replaces the models and nothing more. EASY PEASY!

Get it while it's out there.

EDIT: The pistol texture isn't distorted in the game, I just botched the image scaling a bit.

Plasma Weapons Remodeled

I'm considering remodelling those so that their clips are actually small energy cells/microfusion cells, just need to figure out where to put them. Might put the MF cell in the front of the part at the bottom of the rifle and have it use the laser RCW reload. The pistol might be tricky though.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

Syrant posted:

I just want it to come with a katana and some dorky glasses.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35993

Habits
Feb 25, 2008

Assume an accursed shape
cleanse through purity within
Is there anything like Marts Mutant Mod out?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Habits posted:

Is there anything like Marts Mutant Mod out?

No, the guy who makes MMM is still supporting his FO3 version and hasn't begun work on an NV version yet. The closest thing we have is a mod that adds more spawns to the wasteland of existing creatures.

CaptainFuzychin
Aug 21, 2005
Okay, so I've only just started playing and tinkering with modding New Vegas and I have a couple questions. First, would a unique weapon mod for Fallout 3 work in New Vegas? it's just a drop in mod that adds a new type of shotgun some guy on Nexus made that I like alot, and figured I'd port over if possible. I assume I might have to change the item number or something but otherwise I can't imagine they'd make any serious changes to how items exist within the game data, right?

Second, how much work would it be to make this for the game:

It's a gun I've built IRL and I think it'd be fun to incorporate it into the game, but I've got no experience modding what so ever (except some for Fallout 1 and 2, which is completely unrelated obviously)

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

CaptainFuzychin posted:

Okay, so I've only just started playing and tinkering with modding New Vegas and I have a couple questions. First, would a unique weapon mod for Fallout 3 work in New Vegas? it's just a drop in mod that adds a new type of shotgun some guy on Nexus made that I like alot, and figured I'd port over if possible. I assume I might have to change the item number or something but otherwise I can't imagine they'd make any serious changes to how items exist within the game data, right?

Second, how much work would it be to make this for the game:

It's a gun I've built IRL and I think it'd be fun to incorporate it into the game, but I've got no experience modding what so ever (except some for Fallout 1 and 2, which is completely unrelated obviously)

pretty sure a gun like that is already in the game? I don't know anything about guns but it looks like the hunting revolver.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
The .44 revolver might do the trick. That or Lucky, I guess. Neither have such a long barrel, to my recollection.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

So what mod would you recommend if "Hardcore Mode" in the base game wasn't quite hardcore enough for me? I mean making food and water scarcer, ammo less plentiful, and more emphasis on the 'desert survival' aspect of the game.

Oh, and maybe actually adding doctors to the various settlements in the game as well? Its fine that hardcore mode makes you use one to heal crippled limbs, but why wouldn't there be some I could use in the various camps and settlements I run across in the Mojave?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Speaking of which, I didn't realize how fun it is to go through the Nexus and grab a bunch of people's armors and throw them together in a single mod tailored to my liking, and then hijack one of their distribution scripts to distribute all of them across the wasteland (since most of them just plop a single set of the armor in, say, Goodsprings, which is no fun.)

It's like modding for dummies.

Do tell what kind of armors are in this mod, I've been looking something to replace the NCR Veteran Ranger armor I give my self at the very beginning of the game because it's easily the coolest set in the whole game.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

There are quite a few overhauls that do what you're asking for, it's just a matter of trying them out and seeing which one you like best. I use a modified version of hardercore's wealth plugin in order to modify leveled lists for ammo/health. I modified it in FO3Edit to take out the unnecessary changes the guy makes to water and other consumables since I use the more complex needs mod as well.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35715

If you don't like this one then you can always look up XFO and take a look at that author's tweaks, which tone down the frequency but don't increase the possibility of finding unusable junk in containers, which hardercore does.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Jaaam posted:

I'm considering remodelling those so that their clips are actually small energy cells/microfusion cells, just need to figure out where to put them. Might put the MF cell in the front of the part at the bottom of the rifle and have it use the laser RCW reload. The pistol might be tricky though.

You should give it a shot. I really don't know how you'd fit an energy cell on the pistol, but anything you'd accomplish would be better than what I've done.

The Bramble posted:

So what mod would you recommend if "Hardcore Mode" in the base game wasn't quite hardcore enough for me? I mean making food and water scarcer, ammo less plentiful, and more emphasis on the 'desert survival' aspect of the game.

Oh, and maybe actually adding doctors to the various settlements in the game as well? Its fine that hardcore mode makes you use one to heal crippled limbs, but why wouldn't there be some I could use in the various camps and settlements I run across in the Mojave?

The XFO mod I linked in the OP is definitely what you're looking for. Use the "hard" option modules. Check out the instructions on https://www.xfo-nv.com to see what he's done so far.

Brace posted:

Do tell what kind of armors are in this mod, I've been looking something to replace the NCR Veteran Ranger armor I give my self at the very beginning of the game because it's easily the coolest set in the whole game.

Essentially, I took Jaysus' Ranger Coats mod, reworked it to be balanced with XFO's DR + DT system, then worked in the dark knit cap from this boonie hats mod, Road Warrior Armor (as a lighter Leather Armor alternative), Wasteland Vagrant Armor, and the base combat armor and shemagh from the Spetsnaz Mod. Since Jaysus already had a distribution script set up to get his armors in the merchant, mercenary, convict, and fiend lists, I simply added the new armors into the lists with everything else so the mod doesn't interfere with anything else in the load list.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 28, 2010

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Has Boone been fixed in one of the patches or do I need to download the mod I had before that changed his leveling to .4 so he doesn't become so overpowered?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
So if I were to download this
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35176
armor, could I just create two new items "Ranger Elite Helmet"(For example) and "Ranger elite combat armor" and then make them point toward the textures and meshes downloaded with this mod, and place them in Goodsprings in a container, this would work, correct?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yes, that would work.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Schubalts posted:

Yes, that would work.

That's good. Speaking of which, why did that guy think it would be smart to make his mod rely on using a whole big mod like FOOK? That poo poo dumbfounds me sometimes

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Has Boone been fixed in one of the patches or do I need to download the mod I had before that changed his leveling to .4 so he doesn't become so overpowered?

I am pretty certain Boone was nerfed in the patch.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
God I got to buy this for PC.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Brace posted:

That's good. Speaking of which, why did that guy think it would be smart to make his mod rely on using a whole big mod like FOOK? That poo poo dumbfounds me sometimes

I honestly never got the appeal of FOOK in the first place, it's generally a nightmare to find poo poo compatible with it unless you only use the 5 most popular mods on the nexus.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Here are some of my favorite mods that haven't been mentioned (or not mentioned enough...)

Extended Repair Kits has become my preferred repair kit mod of choice. Changes Weapon Repair Kits into "Repair Kits" that can repair armor, weapons, or your helm. Quite nice.

Alternative Power Armor Training - not as "integrated" as the Fallout 3 version, but it still provides a way to get power armor training without joining any other factions.

Underwater Visual Effects - makes being under water look better.

Manual Reload - removes automatic reload altogether. Pretty sweet.

Realistic Repair - I use this for the most comprehensive overhaul of how armor and weapons are repaired (you can now use duct tape, tin cans, etc. to repair)

Lootable Old Cars turns cars into containers (they still explode) with scrap metal, scrap electronics, etc.

Active Wasteland - This mod makes misc items like Clocks, Lamps, Ovens, and such "interactable" and more useful (you can turn lights on and off, for example.)

Cacti of the Wastes - Cacti!

More Grass - just makes the grass a bit more dense.

Scrap Laser Gun - a sweet loving craftable low level laser pistol. I mean, really, this poo poo is awesome and it's a shame it doesn't get more attention.

Bear Trap - just that, let you pick up and re-arm traps, as well as craft new traps.

Original Fallout 3 Weapons + Iron Sight Meshes - supplements/adds the original Fallout 3 weapons back into the game. (sup combat shotgun)

More Unique Weapons - pretty decent mod that adds a bunch of unique versions of weapons that didn't have them before.

Homemade Grenades - self explanatory.

Pre-Order DLC Alternatives - adds more "starting kits" or gives you a starting kit of armor/weapons as alternatives to the official/exclusive (bullshit) DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Physical posted:

God I got to buy this for PC.

The game is way better on PC. The load times on the Xbox get absolutely ridiculous.