Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Max Wilco posted:

What was wrong with New California?

The writing is terrible and completely unreflexive and the end inexplicably tries to tie into the base game that makes the whole thing dumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Is New California the one ropekid did a stream for and basically avoided any of the writing by playing a psycho who killed everyone?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yep, that's the one.

I tuned out of New California pretty quickly. It's not quite the same level of infamously bad as sometbing like the Frontier which gave us Rimmy's glorious "highlights" reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqZPd29NcSQ

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Any TC that does not allow me to gently caress the deathclaws is not worth playing.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Wonder how fallout london will compare to mods like NC or Frontier.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's not a total conversion, but the only quest mod I've liked is Autumn Leaves.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

What is is with new Vegas mods that all the writing tops out at fallout 3 level

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean it's not a great mystery, they are made by amateurs and there are no proper editors or design documentation.

Maybe a better question is why does FO3 script falls to the level of free mods, lol

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010
The Bethesda modding community still has people that only mod for internet cred or to put things on their game dev resume, they destroy projects with their toxicity. People that mod for their own personal fulfillment might find it hard to work towards someone else's vision without also sharing that vision. It's part of why I don't volunteer for modding projects.

Even with design documentation and editors there's little stopping someone from adding their sweaty foot fetish teen waifu long after they already contributed a huge amount of other content. The moment someone says the sweaty foot fetish teen waifu has to go, the creator will throw a shitfit and threaten to pull all their content, which by then includes part of the main quest and base stuff like meshes, textures, scripts, etc. that others use in their parts.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Magmarashi posted:

Well, the term 'cum dumpster' is tossed out at one point so that should clue you in to the level of writing you're getting to experience

It was so nice of them to put your mother in the mod!

Also, avoid Beyond Boulder Dome while we're talking about quest/worldspace mods.

TrainWiz did a moderately-sized FNV mod which is fun, but it's also glitchy like all TW stuff.

Arc Hammer posted:

Yep, that's the one.

I tuned out of New California pretty quickly. It's not quite the same level of infamously bad as sometbing like the Frontier which gave us Rimmy's glorious "highlights" reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqZPd29NcSQ

What is Noctis doing in New Vegas? Looking for more Cup Noodles?

Nobody Interesting posted:

Any TC that does not allow me to gently caress the deathclaws is not worth playing.

Buddy,

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Ok that makes it a near certainty that somewhere in the script is the phrase "cock carousel"

Truly the Disco Elysium of mods

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

That's a good username imo

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

That's a good username imo

I can almost appreciate a phrase too stupid for an indie band name but stupid enough for an SA username

almost

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

The writing is terrible and completely unreflexive and the end inexplicably tries to tie into the base game that makes the whole thing dumber.

I guess I can just watch a playthrough of it on YouTube.

steinrokkan posted:

It's not a total conversion, but the only quest mod I've liked is Autumn Leaves.

I remembered that mod today. Wasn't the deal with that mod that Bethesda more-or-less copied it or one of the quests from it into Far Harbor?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Mr Handy hotel murder mystery from Far Harbour got a lot of attention for being very similar to Autumn Leaves.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Arc Hammer posted:

The Mr Handy hotel murder mystery from Far Harbour got a lot of attention for being very similar to Autumn Leaves.

I haven't played Autumn Leaves or Far Harbor, but that's what I remember being said.

I recall (maybe incorrectly) that the mod author wasn't really bothered by it.

-

I mentioned that I was going to use the Viva New Vegas mod guide, but I was wondering if there was another mod list that builds off of it. The VNV guide has a page on mods to avoid, along with a bunch of alternatives that I thought about checking out, but I wanted to ask if anyone has or can point me towards a list of additional mods I can use without conflicts.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 15, 2024

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He wasn't bothered by it and iirc didn't even think the mod and the quest were really that similar, he mainly was pointing out some similarities to try and get more attention to his mod (if you liked that you'll like this etc)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I mentioned that I was going to use the Viva New Vegas mod guide, but I was wondering if there was another mod list that builds off of it. The VNV guide has a page on mods to avoid, along with a bunch of alternatives that I thought about checking out, but I wanted to ask if anyone has or can point me towards a list of additional mods I can use without conflicts.

Viva New Vegas itself used to be that bigger mod list but then it downsized to something more vanilla-plus.

There's a Tale of Two Wastelands modlist that incorporates slightly more FNV content mods but of course, that requires installing TTW.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

There's also Blue Moon, made by the person who originally created Viva New Vegas. It's much more extensive, though I haven't tried it myself.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I was going to suggest the Mojave Express Guide but unfortunately that's also going to be shelved soon. It should still be useful until at least the end of the month I think.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

The VNV guide has a page on mods to avoid, along with a bunch of alternatives that I thought about checking out, but I wanted to ask if anyone has or can point me towards a list of additional mods I can use without conflicts.

I feel like I'm the old man shaking his fist at the VNV guide cloud, but do want to point out that it's an extremely opinionated, though mostly well done guide that has somehow turned into a gospel for modern NV modding - and that last is a bit much.

I would follow some, even most, of their recommendations but it's also worth keeping in mind there's a huge whiff of "purity in modding" to many of their suggestions. Massive, bloated mods like FOOK may no longer be in fashion due to how they approached modding back then, but people put in 1000s of combined hours with those mods and had fun with it.

Project Nevada is handled well with alternatives today, but it used to be the bleeding edge of sound modding practices - gribbleswhatevertheirnameis is a very competent modder and that JIP came along and extended NVSE tech to new heights doesn't automatically invalidate all of that work if what it contains seems appealing to you.

It's not a bad list, I agree with a lot of their recommendations - it's what I perceive as their aggressive pushing of "The Right Way To Do It" I find silly. The author has done a bunch of cool mods too - but they often reinvent older mods in a modern style, which I truly appreciate and use myself but also shows that same strain of "this is the right way to do things."

DUST, as an example from the mods to avoid list, is a unique experience - I haven't kept up, maybe it's not any more - and here's the list on it: "DUST - Contains tons of errors of all kinds."

Who gives a gently caress about errors if it plays and lets you complete a run with it if that's what you're looking for in that run? (Not endorsing DUST, that kind of thing never floated my boat.)

E: Probably shouldn't have quoted your post, Max Wilxo. I wasn't responding to it, but rather that page of mods to avoid. Old men who shake fists at clouds make mistakes like that.

To make up for that, have you checked out Stash Organizer? I suspect that by not being on the Nexus it's probably not in VNV. It's life changing in terms of loadout management, it's that good.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 19, 2024

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Honestly it's gospel because qolore really knows what he's talking about. But I wonder why he stopped working on VNV and spun up Blue Moon instead.

Nothing stops you using other guides or just throwing mods on willy nilly but honestly if there's this one guy who's main thing in life is teaching you how to mod FNV to the gills AND keep it stable I'd probably recommend listening to them :shrug:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That's the exact problem, though.

You really don't need to know what you're talking about to write mods that 1000s of people can have 1000s of hours having fun with. qolore and their guides/discord would like to make that assertion, but I think it's loving wrong to say so and sort of impose this competency test on mods.

Does it work? Is it fun?

There, that's all you need.

E: Sorry, with all this shaking of fists I'm stating things poorly. VNV is the guide I'd point people too as well - I just don't like all the right/wrong way to do things it contains is all. It's not a bad guide.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 19, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The only time I actually beat New Vegas I did a lot of ad-hoc modding mid game, and that same playthrough I also beat Dead Money, Honest Hearts and Old World Blues. Lonesome Road hadn't been released yet when I did that. I had a perk mod that might have made science weapons overpowered.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

One of my runs was with FOOK - Project Nevada Convergence, as unholy a thing as could exist. It was fun, though riddled with errors and inconsistencies.

EVE, the energy weapons overhaul, is infamously bad at messing around with everything and anything it feels like. My last run was focused on being minimal since I really wanted to focus on "vanilla jsawyer", if that makes sense, and not have a bunch of mods loving up ~the director's vision~ (choir of angels here).

But man did I miss EVE that run because it's the only thing that does iron sights for energy weapons really well. There are some small mods that try to fix it for some limited weapons, but EVE does them all - along with a bunch of poo poo I didn't want in that run. But it's still a finefun mod if you don't mind the changes it does.

From a coding perspective, until JIP came along and seriously extended what could be done through NVSE - and I'm not up on most of that, just seen some of it peripherally - you were forced to use Bethesda's execrable scripting language. It's a really lovely lovely language as far as programming goes and actually forces you to write bad code - it's so inexpressive and lacking of any reasonable constructs, modern or ancient. So it's not surprising there's lovely code in older mods, they had no choice - but that doesn't make them bad mods, errors, warts and all.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

v1ld posted:

Project Nevada is handled well with alternatives today, but it used to be the bleeding edge of sound modding practices - gribbleswhatevertheirnameis is a very competent modder and that JIP came along and extended NVSE tech to new heights doesn't automatically invalidate all of that work if what it contains seems appealing to you.

It's not a bad list, I agree with a lot of their recommendations - it's what I perceive as their aggressive pushing of "The Right Way To Do It" I find silly. The author has done a bunch of cool mods too - but they often reinvent older mods in a modern style, which I truly appreciate and use myself but also shows that same strain of "this is the right way to do things."

I agree that they can have an grating attitude at times. But they're not wrong in that some older mods have problems, which can lead to for example crashing. In ye olden days, you'd install NVAC and pray that it prevents as many of the CTDs as it can.
But it is possible to have a stable modded build that ~just works~.

v1ld posted:

you were forced to use Bethesda's execrable scripting language. It's a really lovely lovely language as far as programming goes and actually forces you to write bad code - it's so inexpressive and lacking of any reasonable constructs, modern or ancient. So it's not surprising there's lovely code in older mods, they had no choice - but that doesn't make them bad mods, errors, warts and all.
Honestly, most of the issues is just poor code from modders who either didn't know what they were doing, or because some better ways of doing it weren't known at the time.
Yeah, ObScript has problems, but it's shittiness is very overstated. Same goes for Papyrus for that matter. I mean, I can write lovely code with assembly that'll crash your computer. That doesn't make assembly inherently evil.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

v1ld posted:

That's the exact problem, though.

You really don't need to know what you're talking about to write mods that 1000s of people can have 1000s of hours having fun with. qolore and their guides/discord would like to make that assertion, but I think it's loving wrong to say so and sort of impose this competency test on mods.

Does it work? Is it fun?

There, that's all you need.

E: Sorry, with all this shaking of fists I'm stating things poorly. VNV is the guide I'd point people too as well - I just don't like all the right/wrong way to do things it contains is all. It's not a bad guide.

There's almost a level of theology to it, I guess exemplified by the fact that we can very easily refer to "gospels" and poo poo. Or I'm looking deep into it I dunno.

I dunno if it's wrong or right to have the competency test. They're just mods; some of them make you a big dicked wolf lady, and some of them build on the foundations of the game and just make it better. But it's a poo poo engine with a poo poo scripting language, and it also happens to be a game that is beloved enough to attract some really very brilliant minds to it. The magic people have worked on this thing is amazing.

Equally, though, people like my dad play it on the Xbox 360 and loving love it despite the issues. It's a good game with or without mods - it wouldn't have appeared on shelves if it wasn't.

This cabal of people - jip, qolore, pushthewinbutton (except gently caress his "Jsawyer" mod) to name a few - know this game inside and out and I think they're worth listening to for that reason, and they've pushed the bar so high in modding that FNV is even a more stable game than it ever used to be; you can skip the entire content section of the mod guides and just use the stability tools and engine improvements and still get a better game. And gently caress - they've done this without reverse engineering (for the most part). Who knows what they'll achieve once OpenMW can actually run FNV in full (that is a long term goal of OpenMW).

Use em or don't, hopefully no one makes you feel lovely for choosing one way or another (I am weirdly passionate about this - so I apologise if I've managed to do that), but this game is blessed with its own loving intelligentsia. Goddamn PhDs in FNV modding over here.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Use em or don't, hopefully no one makes you feel lovely for choosing one way or another (I am weirdly passionate about this - so I apologise if I've managed to do that), but this game is blessed with its own loving intelligentsia. Goddamn PhDs in FNV modding over here.

Good post - I wasn't trying to be offensive either. The "do it this way" tone to their guides rubs me the wrong way, quite obviously, including the bits about The Way or whatever they call eschewing tooling and doing mod load orders by hand.

I have the deep conviction, fervor and faith in my correctness of belief only those who oppose religion can have, it seems. Kind of like the tone you find in qolore's guides, really.

Raygereio posted:

Honestly, most of the issues is just poor code from modders who either didn't know what they were doing, or because some better ways of doing it weren't known at the time.

Yeah, ObScript has problems, but it's shittiness is very overstated. Same goes for Papyrus for that matter. I mean, I can write lovely code with assembly that'll crash your computer. That doesn't make assembly inherently evil.

Assembly isn't a bad analogy. It's that same lack of expressiveness that makes these Beth games - I find it hard to keep blaming Gamebryo - hard to write good code for. For example - and this is from memory as last I coded for FNV was 10 years ago - either NVSE or one of the JIP or other extensions to it added arrays, loops and, IIRC, simple list comprehensions to the language. This was a giant step up for writing code in it.

The simplicity of the language gave you giant nested "if then if then if then elsif then" spaghetti code blocks that made it difficult to understand what was going and even more difficult to write good code. It lacked/lacks the ability to abstract functionality, etc.

I was never motivated to write much scripting level mods in these engines as a consequence though I did make some simple scripting mods for my own use in FNV (the .gek file has the NVSE-improved scripting and it's still quite hard to read). I found it quite stifling and unfun to do.

Unity games based on C# (Pillars, Pathfinder) or the CDPR games that use a Swift-like language make it much easier to write code and even good code. I find them more appealing to mod at the scripting layer as a consequence. (Do want to emphasize that "at the scripting layer" bit - Beth made modding everything else in the game easier than any of those games, which is the important bit.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Honestly I never really got intot rying mods until recently so following a guide helps me. I had a hard time installing viva new vegas so now I don't want to undo it and start all over again lol.

Was there an attempt at a fan remake of Fallout 1/2 in the newer engines?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There was a recent attempt to remake Fallout 2 as a Doom clone, but I don't think it was too serious

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

There was a recent attempt to remake Fallout 2 as a Doom clone, but I don't think it was too serious

How about remake Fallout 2 as a Doom mod?

This is Crusader assets but the theory is for sure there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUt8Z8mkI-g

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm surprised there isn't a more updated version of EVE. There was a mod out a year or so back that made energy weapons cast light on the environment, that was very nice for laser battles in the dark

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a more updated version of EVE. There was a mod out a year or so back that made energy weapons cast light on the environment, that was very nice for laser battles in the dark

Yeah. EVE does what it sets out to do - change energy weapons into what the author thinks they should be - but having it be less flaky and intrusive would be great.

I personally prefer a more minimal, vanilla approach - honestly, iron sights on all of them would fix 90% of what I'd want from the game.

I wonder why they didn't put iron sights on most of the energy weapons. Was it time crunch or deliberate design?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

v1ld posted:

I personally prefer a more minimal, vanilla approach - honestly, iron sights on all of them would fix 90% of what I'd want from the game.
You could maybe take just energy weapon meshes from this mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/65052?tab=posts

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
just play TTW and ignore the capital wasteland.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Raygereio posted:

You could maybe take just energy weapon meshes from this mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/65052?tab=posts

Interesting, I've used it but don't recall it putting iron sights on energy weapons. Thanks.

I used this mod and I think one more that tweaked a couple of plasma weapons, not all: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70790

Neither was perfect at the time and I had to muck around a bit as I recall and there were still issues.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

An excellent goon-made mod that won't make today's lists is Cirosan's Classic Overhaul. It's very modular, contrary to what you may expect from the word overhaul. I used it in its entirety and in part in many a run.

As I recall it goes in the direction of FO 1&2 in emphasizing and giving bonuses/maluses based on SPECIAL. The companion overhaul is a gun take on it too if you find Boone killing any horizon pixels that moved eventually boring.

Mod lists and Wabbajack are very good things, but they also tend to focus attention too much on the tastes of the few who do publish them.

I've recently been considering a non-leveled run of TW3 and took a look at TW3EE Redux, the obvious choice. But searching beyond that shows a whole bunch of other interesting takes on the idea that don't get similar airtime.

E: CCO's blurb: Modular overhaul for New Vegas, compatible with both Project Nevada and JSawyer. Includes new perks and traits, companion tweaks, formula changes, new mini-quests, and much more!

v1ld fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 20, 2024

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Any good mods for Fallout 3? Since I'm not using Tale of Two Wastelands...

Edit: I have been thinking of trying the "pure" jsawyer, as ropekid intended, but once again it would involved undoing viva new vegas and that was a pain to setup in the first place.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Edit: I have been thinking of trying the "pure" jsawyer, as ropekid intended, but once again it would involved undoing viva new vegas and that was a pain to setup in the first place.

What are you looking for? If it's turning the game into a grimmer, more ~hardcore~ combat-based experience then FWE (Fallout Wanderer's Edition) will make it instantly so.

A bunch of NV's improvements were foreshadowed by mods in FO3 - iron sights, weapon mods, etc. Don't remember the details, but there are some very good mods in that kind of gameplay vein for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

MonsieurChoc posted:

You should be able to set up a number of different modded versions in MO2, or perhaps using GOG's version of NV will allow you to get around that in a different manner. Having two copies of NV installed on your computer may seem silly, but if that's the only way to get it to work...