Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I am wondering one thing. Is it possible to make mod that turns the game into Iron Man mode akin to Fallout Tactics (can only save at the bases, increased xp rewards). That made Tactics incredibly fun for me and wondering if it is possible to disable saving on interior locations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Is there any way I can, like configure Hardcore? Through a mod or by GECK? I like some of it, but other parts I don't. I want the sleeping/eating/drinking mechanic, but I don't want perma-death companions or weighted ammo. But I do want stimpaks healing over time, and the whole limb crippling/bed healing thing. Are there any mods that do this?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Brace posted:

Is there any way I can, like configure Hardcore? Through a mod or by GECK? I like some of it, but other parts I don't. I want the sleeping/eating/drinking mechanic, but I don't want perma-death companions or weighted ammo. But I do want stimpaks healing over time, and the whole limb crippling/bed healing thing. Are there any mods that do this?

Yup! For the companions you don't even need the Geck, just use the setessential console command and grab the companion's refID from the vault wiki. For the Ammo, go into the geck and go down the Ammo last under the Items tab and set the weights(It's in the top right corner under name, etc) to 0 for each one, then save. Done!

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Is Readius still worth using? I don't remember having any issues with it back when it was still pretty new, but it hasn't been updated in nearly a year and the comments section is full of people saying it's got bugs out the rear end.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Horns posted:

Is Readius still worth using? I don't remember having any issues with it back when it was still pretty new, but it hasn't been updated in nearly a year and the comments section is full of people saying it's got bugs out the rear end.

For what its worth - and this may just be me - my performance goes in the shitter when I use the Readius after the last patch or so. Between that and the revolver bug it causes I find it to be unusable.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Omnicarus posted:

Yup! For the companions you don't even need the Geck, just use the setessential console command and grab the companion's refID from the vault wiki. For the Ammo, go into the geck and go down the Ammo last under the Items tab and set the weights(It's in the top right corner under name, etc) to 0 for each one, then save. Done!

Is there any way to do the companion thing? I'd like to just have them both in an .esp rather than console commands.

Would setting all the companions to Essential in the GECK have the same effect as what goes on in non hardcore mode?

Brace fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 9, 2011

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Brace posted:

Is there any way to do the companion thing? I'd like to just have them both in an .esp rather than console commands.

Yup. Go to the NPC tab under actors in the GECK and find each companion's entry and check the Essential box.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Welp it seems I can't change anything in the GECK? I set all the companions to essential, clicked Save, and then exited the GECK, it gave me a prompt "Save changes to the plugin file?" Yes. And then it just went back to the GECK... I tried saving and exiting a bunch more times and then closed the program, and obviously the changes to the plugin didn't stick.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Omnicarus posted:

For what its worth - and this may just be me - my performance goes in the shitter when I use the Readius after the last patch or so. Between that and the revolver bug it causes I find it to be unusable.

What revolver bug? I'm still using it and it's just fine.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah I've never run into a problem with readius.

plus I can use this

Which is so worth it.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

It always makes the speedloaders for revolvers get stuck near the hammer for me.

Edit: This occasionally happens without the Readius too, but it is fixable by reloading or changing weapons. The Readius makes it happen every time I equip a revolver for some reason and reloading or changing weapons doesn't fix it.:iiam:

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 9, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

TerminalBlue posted:

So I'm just getting to FO:NV now, since I've been busy with school and whatever since release.

Of course, like a long-time Gamebryo tool, I can't play through my first time without tons of mods, so I'm having crashing issues. It all seems to be save related, and the game will crash randomly upon autosaves(hasn't done that to me yet with quicksaves, but that's probably just statistics talking). Atop that, usually when I crash, trying to load any save will just result in an infinite loading screen unless I start a new game then load from there.
Don't use the autosaves! Also don't manually overwrite your own saves. These contribute to save corruption. What you should do instead is download this mod: Automatic Save Manager. It avoids all problems involved with autosaves, quicksaves, and overwriting saves by creating its own save system that I've found to be significantly more stable and useful than vanilla NV.

Horns posted:

I don't think so. Last time I tried to use it, I got an incredibly annoying (though not critical) bug involving having to open and close the pipboy after cell transitions in order to work the flashlight. Sounds minor but gets old real fast. It seems like this bug is endemic to anything that takes the pipboy off your wrist, so Readius and any mods like it are unfortunately a no go.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

TerminalBlue posted:

Blah, what's going on? Something particularly glaring in my load order?

FalloutNV.esm
ClassicPack.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
DeadMoney.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
HonestHearts.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
AWorldOfPain(Preview).esm
rePopulated Wasteland.esm
SCAV.esm
NVCE Main.esm

FalloutNV.esm
ClassicPack.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
DeadMoney.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
HonestHearts.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm

Which is about the minimum amount of mods I'm willing to play with. I'm used to crashes with Gamebryo mods and whatnot, but the whole 'crash on save, unlimited loading screen upon reload' bit has me stumped. I'm likely behind the times though, and this is some kind of fantastic NV-exclusive thing.

Your masters are out of order. You should have the big vanilla DLC loaded first, like so:

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm

Then everything else, including GRA and the Pre-Order DLC. Alternatively, use FOMM's built-in BOSS to auto-sort your plugins. You may need to update your BOSS rules (explained in the OP under FOMM.)

Also, like others have pointed out: Use CASM or be very, very diligent in manually saving your progress. I don't entirely understand the way the Auto / Quicksave feature works, but it doesn't seem to make a thorough record of information when it saves, which increases the chances of corruption over time. Manually opening the menu and saving a game does, however.

Beyond that, the occasional "crash on save" thing is just something that this game does from time to time. I had it happen to me last night; lost a bit of progress after I gave up trying to recover the temporary save it managed to make.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Omnicarus posted:

It always makes the speedloaders for revolvers get stuck near the hammer for me.

Edit: This occasionally happens without the Readius too, but it is fixable by reloading or changing weapons. The Readius makes it happen every time I equip a revolver for some reason and reloading or changing weapons doesn't fix it.:iiam:

Oh is THAT what causes that? Well drat, that's been driving me crazy. The speedloader goes away once I fire, but still what the hell :psyduck:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

randombattle posted:

Yeah I've never run into a problem with readius.

plus I can use this

Which is so worth it.
Why do you have a "Hems" button between "Stats" and "Data?"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Strudel Man posted:

I...think that's..."Items"...

EDIT:

So I've found something that might be superior to "Rise of the Machines" and "Creatures Give You Hell"--a plugin, configurable in MCM, that does all sort of crazy perk / trait / stats / weapon rebalancing to creatures and robots. There's a laundry list of changes, though, but it sounds like a nice way to make creatures more dangerous without cheesing things up too much.

Also, this might actually allow me to do the Goodsprings quest without Sunny Smiles being murdered by the first pack of geckos.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 9, 2011

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm thinking about making a run with the Flare Gun as my signature weapon, using Ulysses' Mask/Incinerators/Incendiary Grenades/Gehenna/Fire Breath Rounds, grabbing the Pyromaniac perk and being a bastard who likes to see poo poo burn :supaburn:

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 9, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Is that even possible? The flare gun seemed so drat weak. It didn't do any damage to me and I couldn't do a drat thing with it even with my energy weapons maxed out. Or maybe that was just due to weird DLC level scaling.

e: speaking of which, I don't get all of the hate for the combat in Lonesome Road. I think I killed less than ten Deathclaws in the whole thing and the only ones that spawned in were after blowing up that nuke on the bridge. As for the Tunnelers, those were such a garbage easy enemy that I can't imagine them giving anyone any trouble.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I can't find a description of Project Nevada - Old World Blues (No Cyberware).esp anywhere. What does it do and why would I want it checked or unchecked?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Is that even possible? The flare gun seemed so drat weak. It didn't do any damage to me and I couldn't do a drat thing with it even with my energy weapons maxed out.

Yes, it's very weak, but perhaps using the Signature Weapon Mod could make it at least decent. I don't know, I never used the mod, gonna have to try and see.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
My main gripe with the flare gun is it doesn't really behave like one.

So I changed that. Thanks to the Light My Flare mod, I made a duplicate flare gun that fires illuminating flares :toot:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Only issue I have with the flaregun is how much flamer fuel it eats up per shot.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

VisAbsoluta posted:

Yes, it's very weak, but perhaps using the Signature Weapon Mod could make it at least decent. I don't know, I never used the mod, gonna have to try and see.

I'm not familiar with the weapon, but ive been using the poo poo out of the mod. You can make it a real weapon so long as it actually does some actual amount of damage first. If you max out lethal that adds 15 damage right there, plus multiplying the base damage.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Strudel Man posted:

Keeps my clothes from unraveling duh!

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Capn Beeb posted:

My main gripe with the flare gun is it doesn't really behave like one.

So I changed that. Thanks to the Light My Flare mod, I made a duplicate flare gun that fires illuminating flares :toot:

You should upload that, Beeb. A flare gun is probably much more useful outdoors than the pipboy light and my flashlight.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Horns posted:

The only Readius bugs that bothers me enough to Post About It are the pipboy light related ones. Sometimes when loading you cannot activate the pipboy light until you've opened it up once; and anytime you open it the graphic effect of the light turns off but the light is still mechanically on for gameplay purposes (stealth, etc). So you've got to hold tab till it chirps off then turn it back on (or leave it off).

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I...think that's..."Items"...
Nonsense! That's the clearest 'H' I've ever seen.

randombattle posted:

Keeps my clothes from unraveling duh!
Of course, now I just feel silly.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

:nexus: :psyduck:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

VisAbsoluta posted:

:nexus: :psyduck:

From the Slave Pose mod that this requires, I know it's not what it looks like but :aslol:

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Don't use the autosaves! Also don't manually overwrite your own saves. These contribute to save corruption. What you should do instead is download this mod: Automatic Save Manager. It avoids all problems involved with autosaves, quicksaves, and overwriting saves by creating its own save system that I've found to be significantly more stable and useful than vanilla NV.

I was using CASM on my first list. It seemed to crash when CASM saved just as frequently as the game's autosaves did, and still had the thing with me needing to start a new game to load the old one.

Well whatever, I tried a clean install running DLC(and no DLC), only PN enabled, and it seems that just having the core PN running causes this problem for me. I just wasn't meant to use it, I guess. It sucks, I liked alot of the features.

With no DLC and only PN's Core activated, I shouldn't have to. BOSS was also giving me a clean bill of health.
vvvvv

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

TerminalBlue posted:

I was using CASM on my first list. It seemed to crash when CASM saved just as frequently as the game's autosaves did, and still had the thing with me needing to start a new game to load the old one.

Well whatever, I tried a clean install running DLC and no DLC, with PN and without PN, and it seems that just having the core PN enabled causes this problem for me. I just wasn't meant to use it, I guess.

Did you try rearranging your load order like I was talking about? Yours was kind of messed up.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.

I always liked this little thing, so I started re-redoing it.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Arenovalis posted:

Arenovalis, this isn't related to this picture(it looks amazing though) but where did you get your hand retextures? The screenshots of your game in first person always have really high-res hands.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Should be just vanilla, atm I only use my own mod, FOOK and NMC's pack.
(afaik none of these touch characters)

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Hm, they look a lot better then the ones I have, mine look like cardboard cut outs :smith:

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

What kind of a character are you using? Different characters have different textures (for instance, black female looks REALLY bad, but white male hands look fine)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arenovalis posted:

Very pretty. The lighting is painted right (i.e., won't move in game)?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Arenovalis posted:

What kind of a character are you using? Different characters have different textures (for instance, black female looks REALLY bad, but white male hands look fine)

I'm just using a tweaked preset white male character, so I don't think that should be the issue.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Brace posted:

I'm just using a tweaked preset white male character, so I don't think that should be the issue.

Maybe you're just being neurotic. Take a screenshot so we can see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Also about being neurotic, sometimes I feel like some weapons from AGSU make my framerate go slightly lower, does anyone ever noticed it?