Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So Underwater Home kind of sucks. I go through all kinds of poo poo just trying to get there, then find out I have to go to Repconn HQ which I hadn't yet visited. I go through all that poo poo and finally gain access. Then I have to power it up. I go through all that poo poo. Then I make the mistake of sorting my stuff. It sends my entire inventory every which way into the most convoluted storage system I have ever seen. Each individual ammo type has its own individually labeled drawer for fucks sake. It really makes me appreciate Lombard Station's simplicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Drawers? What's the point, gimme shelves :mad:

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Raygereio posted:

Instal order for UI affecting mods.
1. DarnUI.
2. Project Nevada. With the Darn compatability files. If you're using PN's fomod it should handle this automatically, but to be sure: They're bundled with the main PN package under /optional/DarnUI. Copy the Menus folder located here, and paste it over the Menus folder located in the main PN package.
3. MCM.
4. oHUD.
5. Any other UI affecting mod that uHUD provides compatibility for.
6. uHUD.
After installing each mod, be sure that its plugins are active in FOMM before starting to instal the next one.

I did all of this in the order you recommended (just those 5 mods) and when I start a new game I get some error messages. The first is Project Nevada being unable to access its hud extensions. Then MCM says it can't access its menu files. Lastly iHud says that my MCM is too early a version (below 1.1), despite it being version 1.5. All of this with the overall problem of none of the menus being Darnified.

I'm honestly not sure how to resolve this clusterfuck.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I did all of this in the order you recommended (just those 5 mods) and when I start a new game I get some error messages. The first is Project Nevada being unable to access its hud extensions. Then MCM says it can't access its menu files. Lastly iHud says that my MCM is too early a version (below 1.1), despite it being version 1.5. All of this with the overall problem of none of the menus being Darnified.

I'm honestly not sure how to resolve this clusterfuck.

Did you edit your fallout ini like darn says to?

The MCM problem probably stems from PN coming with an internal MCM (1.1) whereas standalone advanced past that (1.5). I wouldn't worry about it unless there's an actual problem. The PN issue is probably you not dragging the darn folder included with PN out like stated before :v:, I've installed those 5 mods about 20 some times across multiple machines without issue

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Ok I figured out my problem. I had been installing mods manually by dragging and dropping. If it required FOMOD activation I used the "create from folder" option. It was only after watching a youtube video that I realized that I should install FOMODS by activating it from the .zip file itself. Now I can start up without any error messages.

Now what I'm worried about is my other mods. I installed the FOMOD-only mods through the faulty method and I'm worried they're gonna give me heartache later. I'd uninstall/reinstall them, but they're mods that have to be installed before and overwritten by other mods; I'd basically have to reinstall all my mods just to be sure.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I fixed a recoil mod to work to mostly my liking.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32844786/recoilmod_high.rar

Source mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46433/

Interesting story made short: Geck/Creation Kit scripting only supports one math operation per line.

Now some time after this I'm going to try to make a mod that tries to adjust actual weapon bloom (not wobble) :shepicide:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I fixed a recoil mod to work to mostly my liking.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32844786/recoilmod_high.rar

Source mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46433/

Interesting story made short: Geck/Creation Kit scripting only supports one math operation per line.

Now some time after this I'm going to try to make a mod that tries to adjust actual weapon bloom (not wobble) :shepicide:

I would kill for a mod that increases the accuracy for all weapons. The vanilla guns are so stupidly inaccurate that you wonder if some of them even have rifling.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I would kill for a mod that increases the accuracy for all weapons. The vanilla guns are so stupidly inaccurate that you wonder if some of them even have rifling.

:shrug: RPG's are defined by a separation between character and player skill. You the player might aim perfectly, but the game introduces gun sway because your character can't use guns that well. Level up guns :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's not really gun sway or aim sway so much as the game will curve your bullets toward or away from enemies depending on your Guns skill. Not literally curve them, since you can't see it happen, but it's more like a dice roll modified by a bunch of things like where you're aiming and if you're moving or crouching etc. I think it was that way in Fallout 3 too.

However, I do agree that I think guns could've been more accurate at least for the player. It takes quite a bit of investment in Guns to actually be able to hit poo poo at long distances without a sniper rifle or similar.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 5, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, the inaccuracy displayed by firearms doesn't match what should really be occurring based on your Guns skill. You'd expect Guns to decrease sway during aiming, but instead you see the bullets literally fly at odd angles out of the barrel. It doesn't work in an FPS/RPG hybrid like this, especially not one that tries to implement iron sights as if the player's skill with first-person shooting matters more.

A much better implementation was in Fallout 3 with the iron sights mod. In that one, the Guns skill actually determined how much your aim wavered. Players with low Small Guns skill had to try and compensate with their own personal skill by firing when the random motions of the Lone Wanderer's arm properly brought the gun to bear.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 5, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There is also a degree of auto-aim and mouse acceleration by default, making the gunplay feel extra odd. This makes it hard to make slight adjustments because of how your input is handled, and makes it hard to make precision shots because your bullets will prefer to fire towards the body of the enemy (so shooting a raider's gun out of his hand while he's behind cover will result in more shots going towards the cover instead of the exposed gun).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The autoaim works in both directions (such as making technically flubbed shots hit anyway), but I tend to disable it to get rid of the random misses.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
There is a mod that basically disables the autoaim of the weapons so that bullets always go to where you're aiming at. You can find it here: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34723/

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Can anyone recommend some mods to improve game performance? I was hoping for one to remove 'clutter' (the game would be smoother with less items I think?) but the one I could find 'Clean Up New Vegas' doesn't seem to exist any more :(

e - holy crap that was fast, thanks guy below! exactly what i wanted :)

Bloodbath fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 6, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bloodbath posted:

Can anyone recommend some mods to improve game performance? I was hoping for one to remove 'clutter' (the game would be smoother with less items I think?) but the one I could find 'Clean Up New Vegas' doesn't seem to exist any more :(

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/34832 stutter remover
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/41713/ clutter b gone
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/45475/ performance of the gods

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Swartz posted:

There is a mod that basically disables the autoaim of the weapons so that bullets always go to where you're aiming at. You can find it here: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34723/
The downside to completely turning off autoaim is that mantis are almost impossible to hit without VATS due to how their bounding boxes work. Which I guess is the reason why they simply halved autoaim compared to FO3 instead of removing it or making it insignificant.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You dudes that use smoking mods, is there a way to get rid of the weird pointy arrow that appears over your shoulder when you smoke? It inflames my autism.

You can see it here

Not my character btw

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

...I can't see any weird pointy arrow.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

chitoryu12 posted:

...I can't see any weird pointy arrow.

Neither do I, but I believe there's an explanation...

Pwnstar posted:

It inflames my autism.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
You can kinda see it to the left of her hair, at the same height as her chin. It's pretty easy to miss, looks like part of the level geometry.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kumaton posted:

You can kinda see it to the left of her hair, at the same height as her chin. It's pretty easy to miss, looks like part of the level geometry.

It equips the cigar as a weapon or something because that's the cursor

the answer is no

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't think he means the cursor. I think he's legitimately hallucinating.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Its like a triangle made of smoke thats part of the mesh or something, its hard to see in that pic.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Try to find out what it is in the model in NIFSkope?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Ok, I'm having a weird problem in my latest New Vegas run. After about 10 hours or so I left the Brotherhood bunker at Hidden Valley, and now everything is darker than the inside of a well-digger's rear end in a top hat. It's 11:54 AM in the Mojave, clear skies, darker than poo poo. I can tell the sun is up because there is a vaguely lighter disc in the sky. Interiors are so dark as to be unnavigable. The only thing I can think of is that maybe something went horribly wrong when switching between the RCSS's night vision masks and enhanced sensors mask. Any thoughts? I don't run ENB or any lighting overhauls; I've got the RCSS, some of Millenia's weapons (the 1911 and the G3SG1), NVAC, and the NMC texture pack installed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If those are the only mods you have installed, I'd say the night vision/enhanced vision is the most likely culprit.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Mortimer posted:

It equips the cigar as a weapon or something because that's the cursor

the answer is no

Left is Not Right

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

Left is Not Right

Didn't see anything to the left because I am not literally an eagle

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I'm trying to install "Tale of Two Wastelands", since I just got F3 on a steam sale for 5 bux. I'm at the installation screen, after extracting all the necessary files to seperate TTW folder under my C drive. When I start installation, it says all files are found, but then comes up with an error that reads;

"An unhandled exception has occurred.
Could not find a part of the path 'C:\TTW\TempExtract'.

Did I gently caress up the extraction somehow? Or did I not send the installer to the correct folder, or deep enough?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So I'm trying to install "Tale of Two Wastelands", since I just got F3 on a steam sale for 5 bux. I'm at the installation screen, after extracting all the necessary files to seperate TTW folder under my C drive. When I start installation, it says all files are found, but then comes up with an error that reads;

"An unhandled exception has occurred.
Could not find a part of the path 'C:\TTW\TempExtract'.

Did I gently caress up the extraction somehow? Or did I not send the installer to the correct folder, or deep enough?

Are you running the app as an administrator? That's the only thing I can think of.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I've had a couple of bugs with The Strip Open, one of which I didn't notice until after I'd finished my latest playthrough. One bug was that the lady who asks you to bug the Lucky 38 didn't appear at all, and apparently died somehow since I got a failure message for her quest some time later. The other is that the NCR trooper who invites you to go to the Embassy didn't show up at any point, which I didn't notice at the time because I was siding with House on this playthrough. Anyone else encountered these and/or know how to fix em? I really like the mod otherwise.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
HELLO, I AM FROM BIIIIIIIG MOUNTAIN.

NOW LET'S gently caress poo poo UP WITH SCIENCE.

(It's too bad you can't high five Christine if your Brotherhood rep is high enough)

also:

WHAT'S THE FREQUENCY, KENNETH?

ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY-SEVEN KILLOWATS!

*braying skeletal laughter*

Beeb fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 7, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

HELLO, I AM FROM BIIIIIIIG MOUNTAIN.

NOW LET'S gently caress poo poo UP WITH SCIENCE.

These look too dark to see anything. I see you installed the same interior lighting mods I did. Weird thing is, you don't seem to mind.

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

WHAT'S THE FREQUENCY, KENNETH?

ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY-SEVEN KILLOWATS!

*braying skeletal laughter*

OK I need to know where that Tesla Coil is from because that is loving awesome.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Isn't that just the X-2 antenna from vanilla Old World Blues?

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

massecurr posted:

OK I need to know where that Tesla Coil is from because that is loving awesome.

It's one of the melee weapons added in Old World Blues

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
Oh it is? I still have yet touch any of the DLC because I always get distracted and start playing something else before getting to them

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
TESLA COILS!

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

MariusLecter posted:

TESLA COILS!

THE COILS OF NIKOLA TESLA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So i'm apparently getting a weird issue in the geck. Trying to load up FalloutNV.esm, HonestHearts.esm, and GunRunnersArsenal.esm, to work on ARMS. I usually open it up, click off the initial warnings, and promptly ignore it for a few minutes since it usually takes a while. However, i'm coming back to it with it stuck at 30% of FalloutNV.esm, loading 'LAND " (0,0)'. Any idea as to what is causing this?

It's not that the GECK isn't responding, it's still there, but it refuses to close without ending it in the task manager.