Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I think I discovered what may have been causing me problems in the first place. Anybody got any idea why, when I have Yukichigai Unofficial Patch (the full DLC version) enabled, I would get a "another instance of Fallout New Vegas is already running" error message when I launch the game? I have all the DLC. As soon as I disabled YUP, the error goes away and the game launches normally.

It was the target parameters I had set on the 4GB launcher as per the Fear & Loathing in New Vegas guide that were the culprit. The fact that it was crashing with YUP enabled seemed to be a coincidence. I got rid of the paremeters and just used the 4GB launcher as-is without issues, including with YUP enabled.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That is weird as hell.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Do you still talk about Fallout 3 in here? If yes, then I have a quick question.

I'm feeling all nostalgic and want to play Fallout 3 again. I've found this STEP guide to installing it so it's stable and bug free etc (ha!).

Right at the start it says that steam should not be installed in program files, so my question is how necessary is this? I've always had steam installed there and not noticed any problems with any games. Is it just a thing for Bethesda games, would I be storing up issues by not moving it?
It will take some time to move it, so I want to know if it's actually worth the time to do that if I do. I'm on windows 10 if that makes any difference.

Helith fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 1, 2016

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
It was a windows 7 thing, I have no idea how relevant it is now. The way it went is that having the game installed to program files meant that all the files would be automatically set to read-only, which is bad for all sorts of reasons, but specifically because it makes the changes you have to make to game files during the modding process... impossible.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Actually it's a UAC thing and still is a thing AFAIK, in that windows watches Program Files like a hawk and can gently caress with modding tools, more than just setting things read only.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Alright then, as I had no issues modding New Vegas or Skyrim with Steam being in program files while on W7, I'm going to take the chance and leave it as is for now.
If I run into issues down the line I'll know what the likely cause is and will sort it out then. It doesn't seem worth the time or hassle right now.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Helith posted:

Alright then, as I had no issues modding New Vegas or Skyrim with Steam being in program files while on W7, I'm going to take the chance and leave it as is for now.
If I run into issues down the line I'll know what the likely cause is and will sort it out then. It doesn't seem worth the time or hassle right now.

You can install individual steam games to whichever folder you want

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Helith posted:

Just make a secondary Steam library, here's a guide: http://www.ghacks.net/2012/12/06/steam-alternative-installation-locations-now-available/

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Oh, now that is the perfect solution! Thank you, and Krowley too. I had no idea you could do this but it will save me from having to move the whole installation and be much more doable.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

And now it's not on an SSD because you aren't the kind of idiot with two SSDs in their system and the game will take ten minutes to load and every cell will come close.

Or you just can't do it because you can't make a Steam library on the same disk as Steam itself and that's the only disk in your system.

You may have to do permissions stuff to make it work.

Note that recently Steam changed things so when it's first installed it lets everyone do everything to Steam's directories. This is kind of real lovely on Steam's part, and you should still want to install Steam outside of Program Files to keep Steam's compromised file hygiene away from actual software.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Or you just can't do it because you can't make a Steam library on the same disk as Steam itself and that's the only disk in your system.
You can though, right? If it doesn't give you the "Create new Steam Library" option when installing a game because you only have one drive, then you should still be able to go to Settings/Downloads and create a new Steam Library folder there?

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 1, 2016

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Is there any way to get ENB/SweetFX (not sure which one is doing it) to let me use vision filters like Project Nevada's bullet time or Imaginator?.0

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

Probably, though it would take a lot of work. Skyrim isn't as far off from the FO3 Gamebryo as Bethesda would claim, and the animation modders over there have done some major movement revamps that make things feel more natural. I think it just comes down to time commitment and motivation, but I can see it being workable.

I don't mean the animations, I mean the game feel, or ~kinesthetics~. Moving in New Vegas feels like controlling a drone with a spotty connection: movement commands can lag just slightly but enough to notice, sometimes you won't crouch when you hit the crouch key, and jumping feels like launching a barrel a few feet into the air. Everything is off, even if just ever so slightly.

It's not a big deal, otherwise I wouldn't have played for more than 300 hours, but it's always bugged me and made the shooting feel subpar.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If ts just the kinesthetic shift you want I'm not sure how they'd do it. One of the mod preview videos for the fo4 quick loot new Vegas mod had the pc moving quicker and snappier than regular.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Wov3xawyE
See how the character moves differently?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 2, 2016

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

And now it's not on an SSD because you aren't the kind of idiot with two SSDs in their system and the game will take ten minutes to load and every cell will come close.

You may have to do permissions stuff to make it work.

Note that recently Steam changed things so when it's first installed it lets everyone do everything to Steam's directories. This is kind of real lovely on Steam's part, and you should still want to install Steam outside of Program Files to keep Steam's compromised file hygiene away from actual software.
You can make more than one library on the same disk with no issues though! See:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Woebin posted:

You can make more than one library on the same disk with no issues though! See:

Neat. When did they change that?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I was just coming back to say that you can have as many steam libraries as you want on the same disk because I tried it out.

Anyway Fallout 3 and Mod Organiser are really loving finicky about working with each other.
FO3 works just fine launching it through steam or direct from its exe's. It also works just fine launching it from the fose launcher, however add MO into the mix and it stops working. This is with everything installed in program files.
Moving just FO3 to a new steam library on my C drive (I only have 1 big drive, no ssd) and it still won't launch through MO, and it won't even launch direct from its own exes because they look for steam exe to work, so you get a steam error.
So, I've got 2 options to get a modded version of this running: move my whole steam installion out of program files to use MO or use FOMM. I was only planning to lightly mod anyway, bugfixes and textures mainly, so FOMM would work fine.
My nostalgia and enthusiasm for playing this drat game are draining in direct correlation to how much effort it's taking to make it work!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

New Vegas works just fine through Mod Organizer, so just install the Tale of Two Wastelands mod and play FO3 in the superior New Vegas engine.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a mod that lowers the volume of the blowing wind sound? I don't remember it being as loud as it is currently but it's pretty much overpowering all else.

Additionally, and more critically, is there a way to have LOD models for Vurt's Wasteland Overhaul - Fertile Edition? Right now I have the LOD optional download, but I don't understand what exactly it's supposed to be doing because Vurt's additions just pop up into existence as I'm walking around. If I stand on the cemetery hill in Goodsprings and look south, the big hill above the coyote den just southeast of town is barren. This in particular is driving me nuts. I have LOD Generator for New Vegas but that doesn't create LOD models for the trees or plants. I know the tree option in the program says those tree files gotta be installed separately and I thought that's what the LOD optional download for Vurt's was, but evidently not.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 3, 2016

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I went with option 1 and moved my steam install out of program files to a new folder on the same drive, which was really easy as it didn't need to physically move the actual files but just change file pathways. It was simple and effortless and took no time to do.
So now Mod Organiser and Fallout 3 work flawlessly together. They really weren't joking when they said it needs to be out of program files to work, so if anyone else wants to play and mod Fallout 3 through MO let this be a lesson.
Now onto the actual modding and in no time I'll be running around the Capital Wasteland singing along to Butcher Pete!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Agents are GO! posted:

New Vegas works just fine through Mod Organizer, so just install the Tale of Two Wastelands mod and play FO3 in the superior New Vegas engine.

Balance the Super Mutants though with the provided mini mod or your in for a world of hurt.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Is there a mod that makes scopes and sights more like Payday 2, where it actually lets you look through the scope with magnification instead of just having an overlay? I vaguely remember there being something like this in the Hot Files on the Nexus more than a few months ago, but I can't find it again.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Something like that is an integrated part of Project Nevada, I think, and I do remember seeing that other mod, but I'm drawing a blank. Was it by the guy who made Selective Fire?

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Agents are GO! posted:

Something like that is an integrated part of Project Nevada, I think, and I do remember seeing that other mod, but I'm drawing a blank. Was it by the guy who made Selective Fire?

I don't remember Project Nevada doing anything with scopes except for letting you adjust the magnification, still with the overlay, unless there's been an update that I missed. I looked on JIP's page for anything like that, but he didn't seem to make anything.
I really hope I find this. Payday 2 spoiled me with it's sights.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

"Is The Frontier out yet?"

*checks website, nope!*

Also, kind of sad how modding activity on the Nexus for the game is almost still now. Game is old and they've done a lot with it to be fair.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SeanBeansShako posted:

"Is The Frontier out yet?"

*checks website, nope!*

Also, kind of sad how modding activity on the Nexus for the game is almost still now. Game is old and they've done a lot with it to be fair.

Fallout 4 is the new hotness, especially for the hardcore apocalyptic survivalist enthusiasts who make up a sizable chunk of the Fallout modding community. Those folks in particular always tended to prefer Bethesda's FO games anyway since it matches better to what they want from the series. FO4 has better mechanics than NV (besides the lack of DT, which they never liked anyway) and and nice big broken open world for them to sandbox in. They've been waiting to get off New Vegas for ages, and now especially with the release of the FO4 GECK, they can finally leave the "silly old western-wannabe" behind for good.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They can take their mole rat titties and go then.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Does anyone in this thread have Fallout Character Overhaul, and if so, is it working correctly? I just started re-modding New Vegas and I installed CO for the first time, along with the prerequisites and the 3.01 patch. However, I always get this error whenever I try to start a new game.

I've narrowed it down to FOCO because whenever I disable the mod in Mod Organizer, the game starts perfectly. I can't find anyone else suffering from the exact same problem on the Nexus page, but the vast amount of bugs people have experienced is almost convincing enough to make me give up on this mod (except that I'm really tired of everyone's vanilla face).

So far I've tried verifying my Steam game cache, which didn't do anything, moving Mod Organizer's red Overwrite files from the left pane to the Fallout Character Overhaul mod, which didn't do anything, and creating a merged patch, which also didn't do anything.

Load order, in case it helps. I'm also running an ENB. I have a feeling this is a lost cause, but, like I said, I'd really like to see these new faces for myself.

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 15, 2016

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Are you using the Fallout4GB launcher?

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Upmarket Mango posted:

Are you using the Fallout4GB launcher?

Yep. I get the same error if I use NVSE, though.

EDIT: Well, I ignored the helltext in the OP and didn't get around to installing NVAC. I did that and it worked. :suicide:

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 16, 2016

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Still tweaking my latest mod loadout so I can't test it yet, but if I wanted to permanently make a character a different height, would player.setscale work? Or does that not persist on reload? If not, is there a mod that lets me fiddle with things like that a la Skyrim's RaceMenu?

Edit: Also, how the gently caress aren't there any Red Dead Redemption mods for this game. John Marston rolling around New Vegas would be awesome.

Canemacar fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 18, 2016

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Are there any mod sites that aren't the Nexus? I feel like I've seen every mod there is to see on that site.

I don't mind having to use Google translate for non-english sites.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Upmarket Mango posted:

Are there any mod sites that aren't the Nexus? I feel like I've seen every mod there is to see on that site.

I don't mind having to use Google translate for non-english sites.

LoversLab has such sights to show you.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Has any one ever had a problem with enemies spawning invisible, cant target them in VATS either?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

dbzfandiego posted:

Has any one ever had a problem with enemies spawning invisible, cant target them in VATS either?

Not with Thump-Thump I haven't...

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

LoversLab has such sights to show you.

You're a funny guy.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I feel like doing a playthrough of this game since I haven't done one in forever, and I never really heavily modded my previous ones.

Should I do one where I install a bunch of mods that add weapons, armors, features, locations, ect or one that just uses J Sawer

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
JSawyer, Outside Bets, Freeside Open and Strip Open are all you really need. EVE and IMPACT are good too for adding special effects, and Fellout for removing the colour filter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Project Nevada is good as a general overhaul. It adds stuff like sprinting and bullet time that use AP and lets you tweak a bunch of stuff like perks, XP gain, and random loot to adjust the difficulty. The modules add things like cybernetic upgrades hidden around the Mojave and the weapons from Fallout 3.

There's also some general utility and immersion mods I like, like Bottle That Water and Real Smokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
You can get XRE Cars and stop walking for a while. JazzIsParis makes some quality mods that require a NVSE plugin that's painless to install.

Also, that Superhot mod got released.