Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

LashLightning posted:

You should be able to set up a number of different modded versions in MO2, or perhaps using GOG's version of NV will allow you to get around that in a different manner. Having two copies of NV installed on your computer may seem silly, but if that's the only way to get it to work...

Oh I hadn't thought about that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh I hadn't thought about that...

Don't even need different installations, MO2 has a "profiles" concept. You click a button and boom new set of mods.

This is because it doesn't install anything into FNV's folder, but uses a run-time virtual filesystem. :eng101:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nobody Interesting posted:

Don't even need different installations, MO2 has a "profiles" concept. You click a button and boom new set of mods.

This is because it doesn't install anything into FNV's folder, but uses a run-time virtual filesystem. :eng101:

So I could in theory have JSawyer on one profile and Viva New Vegas on the other...

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yes, MO2 is very useful for that.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

MonsieurChoc posted:

So I could in theory have JSawyer on one profile and Viva New Vegas on the other...

You got it, and a third profile for big titty anime legionaries.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Caveat: if you have NOT already been using MO2 and have manually installed mods, you will likely want to reinstall FNV. Any manually installed mods or loose files could lead to undesired results.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'd been using MO2 so I have set-up JSawyer in a seperate profile from Viva New Vegas.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It doesn't work lol.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

So anyone has a modset to make JSawyer not crash on starting a new game?

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

So anyone has a modset to make JSawyer not crash on starting a new game?

Do you have all the DLC, and is it all activated? Including the Courier's stash stuff?

That's literally all that's required.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
One other possibility is that you have some lingering config changes to files in your base NV install from setting up VNV that are preventing jsawyer from working, but finding those (if they exist) would be a process of backtracking to whatever guide for VNV you used and then looking through all the steps and seeing what might have hosed things up for you.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
if you are missing poo poo MO2 tells you.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah I got everything, so I'm guessing it's something to do with the VNV set up.

Edit: Also Tale of Two Wastelands doesn't work because the launcher file didn't appear in the drop-down. :shrug:

Edit: Fixed it by nuking mod manager and reinstalling everything from scratch.

Edit Edit Edit: No hair.pparently this is due to current AMD drivers? Fuckin hell...

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 22, 2024

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah I got everything, so I'm guessing it's something to do with the VNV set up.

Edit: Also Tale of Two Wastelands doesn't work because the launcher file didn't appear in the drop-down. :shrug:

Edit: Fixed it by nuking mod manager and reinstalling everything from scratch.

Edit Edit Edit: No hair.pparently this is due to current AMD drivers? Fuckin hell...

Yeah. The no hair thing threw me too when I did my most recent reinstall. I had to use D3D9_Generator-50470-3-0a to make a fake DX9 dll to trick the hair back into existance.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

EricFate posted:

Yeah. The no hair thing threw me too when I did my most recent reinstall. I had to use D3D9_Generator-50470-3-0a to make a fake DX9 dll to trick the hair back into existance.

Link?

Edit: Found it by just reading what you posted correctly lol.

Time to replay this game again while listening to Desert Oracle Radio. I wonder if Joshua Tree National park is in the game.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 23, 2024

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cross-Section posted:

Viva New Vegas itself used to be that bigger mod list but then it downsized to something more vanilla-plus.

There's a Tale of Two Wastelands modlist that incorporates slightly more FNV content mods but of course, that requires installing TTW.

I always kind of wince internally whenever I think about playing Fallout 3 again (don't know why), but I did buy the GOTY on GOG, and I never played any of the FO3 DLC, so I need to get to it at some point.

I've never read much about Tale of Two Wastelands. My impression was that you just explore FO3 via NV, but how does it handle things like the main quest and DLC in FO3?

Rinkles posted:

just play TTW and ignore the capital wasteland.

:confused: Why? Isn't that the main point of the mod?

Is there some other benefit you get by doing a TTW install? (ex. FO3 items showing up in the Mojave)

ThaumPenguin posted:

There's also Blue Moon, made by the person who originally created Viva New Vegas. It's much more extensive, though I haven't tried it myself.

Dreamsicle posted:

I was going to suggest the Mojave Express Guide but unfortunately that's also going to be shelved soon. It should still be useful until at least the end of the month I think.

I can give both of these a look for mods to check out. Thanks.

v1ld posted:

I feel like I'm the old man shaking his fist at the VNV guide cloud, but do want to point out that it's an extremely opinionated, though mostly well done guide that has somehow turned into a gospel for modern NV modding - and that last is a bit much.

I would follow some, even most, of their recommendations but it's also worth keeping in mind there's a huge whiff of "purity in modding" to many of their suggestions. Massive, bloated mods like FOOK may no longer be in fashion due to how they approached modding back then, but people put in 1000s of combined hours with those mods and had fun with it.

Project Nevada is handled well with alternatives today, but it used to be the bleeding edge of sound modding practices - gribbleswhatevertheirnameis is a very competent modder and that JIP came along and extended NVSE tech to new heights doesn't automatically invalidate all of that work if what it contains seems appealing to you.

It's not a bad list, I agree with a lot of their recommendations - it's what I perceive as their aggressive pushing of "The Right Way To Do It" I find silly. The author has done a bunch of cool mods too - but they often reinvent older mods in a modern style, which I truly appreciate and use myself but also shows that same strain of "this is the right way to do things."

DUST, as an example from the mods to avoid list, is a unique experience - I haven't kept up, maybe it's not any more - and here's the list on it: "DUST - Contains tons of errors of all kinds."

Who gives a gently caress about errors if it plays and lets you complete a run with it if that's what you're looking for in that run? (Not endorsing DUST, that kind of thing never floated my boat.)

E: Probably shouldn't have quoted your post, Max Wilxo. I wasn't responding to it, but rather that page of mods to avoid. Old men who shake fists at clouds make mistakes like that.

To make up for that, have you checked out Stash Organizer? I suspect that by not being on the Nexus it's probably not in VNV. It's life changing in terms of loadout management, it's that good.

There's almost a level of theology to it, I guess exemplified by the fact that we can very easily refer to "gospels" and poo poo. Or I'm looking deep into it I dunno.

I dunno if it's wrong or right to have the competency test. They're just mods; some of them make you a big dicked wolf lady, and some of them build on the foundations of the game and just make it better. But it's a poo poo engine with a poo poo scripting language, and it also happens to be a game that is beloved enough to attract some really very brilliant minds to it. The magic people have worked on this thing is amazing.

Equally, though, people like my dad play it on the Xbox 360 and loving love it despite the issues. It's a good game with or without mods - it wouldn't have appeared on shelves if it wasn't.

This cabal of people - jip, qolore, pushthewinbutton (except gently caress his "Jsawyer" mod) to name a few - know this game inside and out and I think they're worth listening to for that reason, and they've pushed the bar so high in modding that FNV is even a more stable game than it ever used to be; you can skip the entire content section of the mod guides and just use the stability tools and engine improvements and still get a better game. And gently caress - they've done this without reverse engineering (for the most part). Who knows what they'll achieve once OpenMW can actually run FNV in full (that is a long term goal of OpenMW).

Use em or don't, hopefully no one makes you feel lovely for choosing one way or another (I am weirdly passionate about this - so I apologise if I've managed to do that), but this game is blessed with its own loving intelligentsia. Goddamn PhDs in FNV modding over here.

From what I remember, when I first went through the guide, the 'Mods to Avoid' section wasn't as extensive. The big downer for me was that it warned against using the Classic Fallout Weapons mod, which was a mod I wanted to use. With the current iteration, there's a remastered version they link.

The guides are geared towards optimizing the games and making them more stable, so it does seem kind of counter-productive to then load it up with mods that add more issues. That said, with something like Dust (which I'm also not interested in), there's not really an alternative for something like that.

I just didn't know what to look to in terms of additional content (quests, locations, gear, etc.) that wouldn't conflict with the optimizations.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 23, 2024

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wish the fist of the north star mod worked.

Kenshiro vs Lanius.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Max Wilco posted:

I've never read much about Tale of Two Wastelands. My impression was that you just explore FO3 via NV, but how does it handle things like the main quest and DLC in FO3?

They're ported over and fully doable. It basically takes the entire game Fallout 3 and its DLCs and converts it into a New Vegas mod. You can choose to start in the Mojave or DC, and if you choose DC it does the whole game opening with you being born and shooting roaches at your birthday party. New Vegas items get added to the loot tables, so you'll fight raiders armed with 5.56mm pistols and super mutants with rebar clubs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Max Wilco posted:

:confused: Why? Isn't that the main point of the mod?

Is there some other benefit you get by doing a TTW install? (ex. FO3 items showing up in the Mojave)

it was a half serious suggestion for how to get sights on energy weapons in NV, like v1ld was asking for. ttw incorporates them (iirc)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/85127

Nice rock remeshes.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

I tried Blue Moon and I think it's okay, but qolore doesn't seem to be interested in maintaining it which I should have seen coming, since they stopped maintaining VNV on account of getting bored with it (but had the wherewithal to pass it on). I will probably revert to VNV. Even in the 4 or so months since the last update, some of the mods have had some changes which already force you to deviate from the guide a little.

New Vegas Reloaded is unreasonably cool, and I actually think the performance hit is worth it. I can make the game look entirely new, even without any other mods. Impressive stuff.

Both VNV and Blue Moon recommend Vigor now instead of JSawyer "Ultimate". It might be better, but I haven't got too deep into it yet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I haven't tried it, but vigor says in undoes the level cap and XP rate changes in JSawyer which I liked having, especially because it undoes the problem of enemies eventually becoming massive bullet sponges in a completionist play through.

Of course I also almost always use the Logan's Loophole trait, even if I'm not planning to use a ton of chems.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fallout qolore Vegas

(but NO ERRORS IN YOUR LOGS or other defilement of ~the sanctity of modding~, so yay I guess?)

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

v1ld posted:

Fallout qolore Vegas

(but NO ERRORS IN YOUR LOGS or other defilement of ~the sanctity of modding~, so yay I guess?)

Relax. You don't have to use the mod lists. I agree that they're not always completely right, but they're built toward the lowest denominator. They're not perfect, and they're not necessarily for a power user like you, but for a moron like me who is scared to regenerate LOD.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm finding myself being a lot more careful in my first JSawyer playthrough. I can actually die!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Relax. You don't have to use the mod lists. I agree that they're not always completely right, but they're built toward the lowest denominator. They're not perfect, and they're not necessarily for a power user like you, but for a moron like me who is scared to regenerate LOD.

I like and use mod lists, no problems there at all in this game or others. I even use bits of VNV most runs, which are very rare these days.

It's qolore's thing about the quality of implementation about mods I've been whinging about/mocking in this instance. Anyone with an idea and no coding/modding experience should set about making mods, so there will always be poorly implemented but interesting mods.

Anyone remember Duke Patrick's combat mods for Oblivion? DP had a decades long fascination with real, live action medieval combat and was steeped in it, with real expertise from their own IRL combat exercises and studies, and some of it gained by studying texts written over centuries of this stuff. He didn't really know computers at all, but saw Oblivion as the perfect vessel to implement physics-based, realistic medieval combat simulation that factored in things like the momentum of the blade at the point of contact. And he therefore set out to do so. Was it well implemented? Was it even possible to implement such a thing well in Oblivion? Oh hell no. But he did it, and gloriously so I think.

Would not make it to VNV, other than the mods to avoid page - because of quality of implementation (which is also in this case "qolore's personal opinions on what is good in modding" and not some objective things but I'll spare y'all those words.

But that DP's mods exist and can be played is the whole point of modding, imo.

As is qolore starting out with a good and useful list of mods then gravitating towards their own personal medieval combat simulation idea which seems to be to do some new things but to also re implement a bunch of things that already exist but "cleanly" and with their own editorial preferences.

So I think it's worth mocking Vigor which seems to be another jsawyer replacement, but which unlike all the other, similarly unnecessary variants, removes the 35-level cap - a core part of what makes jsawyer jsawyer. I dunno what their intent was, but that's some funny poo poo when it's stuck into the middle of the biggest FNV mod list that's recommended to new players all the time and who may have heard about how great jsawyer is. qsawyer looks close enough if you pick the right font maybe?

VNV is a useful list, but it's not a good suggestion for new players if that's the quality of mod choices being made in it. I haven't looked at it in 2 years.

It's a great suggestion for anyone who wants to play the same FNV experience as qolore though. (That's not sarcasm, that's a literal statement.)

Last I looked at VNV it also had some utterly ridiculous suggestions on ignoring LOOT and other tooling and carefully curating your mod load order by hand which is utter bullshit for reasons I'll save y'all the pixels for ~my opinion~.

Waking up 2 hours before I have to created this post.

E: please imagine I used "jsawyer.esp" everywhere I said "jsawyer" since the latter also some kid's name I hear.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 26, 2024

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

It doesn't work lol.

I dunno what would have gone wrong, but I tried this. I have two profiles: Blue Moon, and VNV. I set up Blue Moon first. I also have both per-profile options selected: save games and INI

I created VNV as a copy of Blue Moon and was extremely annoyed to see all the mods are listed! I would have hoped it would be a blank modlist, but nope. So I disabled every mod, and then reordered the list to match VNV before adding the bits VNV adds.

It's now possible for me to swap between Blue Moon and VNV seamlessly. It's messy because all the disabled mods are still listed, but it works. I also noticed one or two mods had to be reinstalled as per VNV's instructions.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Apologies for the repetitive pooh pooh posts on VNV/qolore. I'll give it a rest.

Main reason behind the posts is that VNV/qolore have unwittingly or otherwise set up a focus on the quality of implementation of a mod rather than its other qualities (fun/interesting/etc). That also extends to how you're supposed to set these things up, hand edited lists, etc.

It's the exact kind of navel gazing, implementation-internal focus instead of what the user / player will see and experience that I look for and try to stop at work because it's fundamentally the wrong thing to worry about as your highest priority. As a much lower priority, sure.

The VNV list stands out because it prescribes and proscribes more than it used to, it's quite militant in what's rightthink these days - and it's become a kind of standard of sorts, which is really what bothers me. Wouldn't care if it wasn't recommended so heavily.

Anyways I'll go back to reading about this game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I dunno what would have gone wrong, but I tried this. I have two profiles: Blue Moon, and VNV. I set up Blue Moon first. I also have both per-profile options selected: save games and INI

I created VNV as a copy of Blue Moon and was extremely annoyed to see all the mods are listed! I would have hoped it would be a blank modlist, but nope. So I disabled every mod, and then reordered the list to match VNV before adding the bits VNV adds.

It's now possible for me to swap between Blue Moon and VNV seamlessly. It's messy because all the disabled mods are still listed, but it works. I also noticed one or two mods had to be reinstalled as per VNV's instructions.

Nice.

I'm having fun with just JSawyer plus bugfixes though so I'll stay with it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is anyone familiar with creating script mods in New Vegas, or have a link to a tutorial? I want to create a mod that makes weapon reload speed relate to your Guns or Energy Weapon skill rather than your Agility stat. I realized the simplest way is a script mod, something like:

If (equipped weapon = gun) and (Guns skill < 20), playrt.setav agility 1

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wonde rhow hard it would be to make a mod that just adds a podcast as a radio station.

In this case being the podcast Desert Oracle Radio.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chamale posted:

Is anyone familiar with creating script mods in New Vegas, or have a link to a tutorial? I want to create a mod that makes weapon reload speed relate to your Guns or Energy Weapon skill rather than your Agility stat. I realized the simplest way is a script mod, something like:

I believe Stewie’s tweaks might contain something to do this already.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
If it's not in the tweaks, it's definitely a regular mod.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It's not part of Stewie's Tweaks. There's a mod called Reload Reloaded, but that doesn't do it either. It feels like someone should have made this mod already, but as far as I can tell, no one has.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Chamale posted:

Wouldn't that set the player's agility for all purposes rather than just reload speed?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zereth posted:

Wouldn't that set the player's agility for all purposes rather than just reload speed?

Yes, but the only things Agility affects are reload speed, Guns skill, Sneak skill, and action points. The script could also provide bonuses or maluses to those things to make it consistent. It's less elegant than directly modifying how the game computes reload speed, but I don't know if that's possible.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Would that script actually revert your agility skill when you put your gun away? Or is it just 1 forever now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThaumPenguin posted:

Would that script actually revert your agility skill when you put your gun away? Or is it just 1 forever now.

Now you're talking about storing the original agility as a variable and recalling it when the gun's put away, have fun in the rabbit hole

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Probably simplest to just let it be 1 forever, or until your Guns skill reaches 20. Then the script would set your Agility to 2, and give you -3 AP, -2 Guns, and -2 Sneak so that it all comes out the same.

Maybe this is why no one has made this particular mod before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Now you're talking about storing the original agility as a variable and recalling it when the gun's put away, have fun in the rabbit hole

Oh, I'm not going anywhere near that hole